Fresh Sound - Best Voices Time Forgot

mjzee

For those of you who get Tommy's Jazz Offer emails, are there any on the list of "Best Voices Time Forgot" that you'd recommend?

FSRV_101    Wanda Stafford & Patricia Scot        In Love for the Very First Time + Once Around the Clock 
FSRV_102    Marcy Lutes & Patty McGovern    Debut + Wednesday's Child 
FSRV_103    Dori Howard & Janet Brace        Dori Howard Sings + Special Delivery
FSRV_104    Thelma Gracen & Milli vernon        Thelma Gracen + Introducing Milli Vernon 
FSRV_105    Peggy King & Pam Garner        Lazy Afternoon + Sings Ballads For Broken Hearts 
FSRV_106    Beverly Kelly & Dolores Hawkins    Beverly Kelly Sings + Dolores 
FSRV_107    Jane Harvey & Anne Richards        Leave it to Jane! + Born to be Blue
FSRV_108    India Adams & Easy Williams        Comfort Me With Apples + Easy Does It! 
FSRV_109    Norene Tate & Mae Barnes        Tenderly + Mae Barnes 
FSRV_110    Jennie Smith & Diana Trask        Love Among the Young + Diana Trask 
FSRV_111    Martha Hayes & Ilene Woods        A Hayes Named Martha + It’s Late 
FSRV_112    Gloria Smyth & Helyne Stewart        Like Soul! + Love Moods
FSRV_113    Honi Gordon & Sue Childs        Honi Gordon Sings + Introducing Sue Childs 
FSRV_114    Pat Thomas & Barbara Long        Jazz Patters + Soul
FSRV_115    Juanita Cruse & Jeri Jorden        Juanita! + Easy Living
FSRV_116    Marlene & Pat O'Day        With Every Breath I Take + When Your Lover Has Gone 
FSRV_117    Corky Shayne & Georgia Carr        In the Mood for a Song? + Songs by a Moody Miss 
FSRV_118    Janet Blair & Claudia Thompson    Flame Out! + Goodbye to Love
FSRV_119    Crystal Joy & Althea Gibson        The Fabulous Crystal Joy + Althea Gibson Sings 
FSRV_120    Rose Hardaway & Ada Lee        It’s Time for Rose Hardaway + Ada Lee Comes On! 
FSRV_121    Cathi Hayes & Lu Ann Simms        It's All Right with Me + At Separate Tables 
FSRV_122    Renée Raff & Pat Dahl        Among the Stars + We Dig Pat Dahl 
FSRV_123    Carole Simpson & Connie Haines    Singin' and Swingin' + A Tribute to Helen Morgan
FSRV_124    Shelley Moore & Ann Williams        For the First Time... + First Time Out 
FSRV_125    Lynn Taylor & Marjorie Lee        I See Your Face Before Me + Remembering 
FSRV_201    Frank D'Rone            Frank D'Rone Sings + After the Ball 
FSRV_202    Rocky Cole & Deno Kannes        Smooth & Rocky + The Kid from Salt Lake City 
FSRV_203    Marty Bell & Don Heller        The Voice of Marty Bell + Blame It on My Youth 
FSRV_204    Dick Williams & Larry Hovis        Love is Nothin' But Blues + My Heart Belongs to Only You 

21 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Beverly Kenney is a fine singer.

Yes, she was, though a tragic figure (suicide at 28, third attempt).   But that's not her on the list, it's someone named Beverly Kelly.  I made the same mistake at first glance.  As for Kenney, we of course aren't permitted to recommend European PD releases without a ton of backlash, so I won't recommend this set collecting all six of her albums in one package:

KENNEY, BEVERLY - Six Classic Albums - Amazon.com Music

I don't at all like the label, but this is a good series for what it does. Tehre are some gems in there, although I doubt that any of them are other than booted  copies from Japanese and other legit sources.

Still, this series did have the GREAT Jacy Parker record, and anybody that does that...

Tommy's a great guy to deal with, so yes, I will recommend these - to buy from him and only him!

Confirming the recs for the Honi Gordon, but for THAT one get the OJC if you can find it. But yeah, Honi Gordon!

That Barbara Long thing was on Savoy and is very nice, even if she does seem to have been in another room than the band, or in the same room at a different time. She could hang.

The Peggy King record is good.

Gloria Smyth, yeah! An All-Star lineup!

A BIG rec for the Pat Thomas! Strand made good records, and this one was no exception.

Same for the Shelley Moore. VERY good singer. Ramsey Lewis, Isaac Holt, Eldee Young, Eddie Harris, Plas Johnson and John Collins and she can hang. Do not sleep on this record!!!!

I like the Easy Williams too..

That Larry Hovis is the same Larry Hovis from Hogan's Heroes. I don't know this record, but heard him on that Bill Gannon Trio on Carlton and found him to be a really good singer. Who knew?

Beverley Kelley, this record is with the Pat Moran trio and has Scott LaFaro walking the shit of some walking, and Ms. Kelly seems to be the type of singer that is happy to have that underneath her. JAcy Parker was another one, only Jacy Parker played her own piano. But those are singers to pay attention to, because they ain't afraid to get down in it, which after all, is where it's at.

Like I said, great series. Sketchy sources, but a great series. And by all means check out Jacy Parker. She got PUNCH! I hope that whatever happened to her (and it still seems to be a mystery) that it was at least as good for her as it was for me, hopefully better.

Don Cinderella walking!

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't at all like the label, but this is a good series for what it does. Tehre are some gems in there, although I doubt that any of them are other than booted  copies from Japanese and other legit sources.

Still, this series did have the GREAT Jacy Parker record, and anybody that does that...

Tommy's a great guy to deal with, so yes, I will recommend these - to buy from him and only him!

Confirming the recs for the Honi Gordon, but for THAT one get the OJC if you can find it. But yeah, Honi Gordon!

That Barbara Long thing was on Savoy and is very nice, even if she does seem to have been in another room than the band, or in the same room at a different time. She could hang.

The Peggy King record is good.

Gloria Smyth, yeah! An All-Star lineup!

A BIG rec for the Pat Thomas! Strand made good records, and this one was no exception.

Same for the Shelley Moore. VERY good singer. Ramsey Lewis, Isaac Holt, Eldee Young, Eddie Harris, Plas Johnson and John Collins and she can hang. Do not sleep on this record!!!!

I like the Easy Williams too..

That Larry Hovis is the same Larry Hovis from Hogan's Heroes. I don't know this record, but heard him on that Bill Gannon Trio on Carlton and found him to be a really good singer. Who knew?

What up wit dat arrangement on "Easy Street?! Yeeah, contrast, but a circus whistle or whatever? Easy Williams turned out to be a pseudonym for some Hollywood actress that was in some Westerns, according to a you tube post.

Beverley Kelley, this record is with the Pat Moran trio and has Scott LaFaro walking the shit of some walking, and Ms. Kelly seems to be the type of singer that is happy to have that underneath her. JAcy Parker was another one, only Jacy Parker played her own piano. But those are singers to pay attention to, because they ain't afraid to get down in it, which after all, is where it's at.

Like I said, great series. Sketchy sources, but a great series. And by all means check out Jacy Parker. She got PUNCH! I hope that whatever happened to her (and it still seems to be a mystery) that it was at least as good for her as it was for me, hopefully better.

Don Cinderella walking!

42 minutes ago, sgcim said:

Was i quoted for any particular reason? Just wondering.

I like the subject, the concept of the series...a lot of good talent out there, some better than others, of course, but although I totally get (and have too-often been subjected to) the whole "chick singer" thing, it's an unfair (and yes, sexist, at times misogynistic) stigma placed on an entire genre. so to the extent that a series like this gets people to relisten/reconsider, hey. Good thing.

OTOH, some people just don't like singers, period. Them, I neither understand nor fully trust. Ultimately, voices are all we got.

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Was i quoted for any particular reason? Just wondering.

I like the subject, the concept of the series...a lot of good talent out there, some better than others, of course, but although I totally get (and have too-often been subjected to) the whole "chick singer" thing, it's an unfair (and yes, sexist, at times misogynistic) stigma placed on an entire genre. so to the extent that a series like this gets people to relisten/reconsider, hey. Good thing.

OTOH, some people just don't like singers, period. Them, I neither understand nor fully trust. Ultimately, voices are all we got.

The program somehow threw my comment inside your post!

I just said that the arrangement for Easy Street, sung by Easy Williams had some type of absurd, loud circus whistle/jingle bells thing to shock the schlitz out of you, because she and the bass player were so quiet. Some funny stuff.

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh my, Pam Garner!

And I failed to notice that Anne Phillips record, which is SUPERIOR.

That Anne Phillips album brings back memories. My father used to buy one album a week when I was a kid. Why did he buy it? It was either on sale, or he dug the way AP looked. I remember liking the album, even as a kid. It turned out that she was a talented pianist, arranger, composer and conductor, who had quite a career, and she's still going, with her own website! Here's the full album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6qvQVeMro