I love cheese.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last fall, when on vacation in Italy we ate fresh mozzarella di buffola daily. Wow! Nothing like the packed slimy mozzarella you can get everywhere. Really fresh, and soooooo tasty! A totally different cheese from what you usually call mozzarella!

Indeed! And it's way cheap down in the Naples region. Plenty of buffalos there, no wonder they use it for pizza there. Much better than other cheese for pizza.

Ubu, we have many cheeses in America too, including one commonly referred to as American Cheese. I know most of us grew up on American Cheese and the Kraft Single. There are two common variations of American Cheese, yellow and white. As far as I can tell, American Cheese is a mild, slightly salty and creamy cheddar.

Our Swiss Cheese is a mild sandwich cheese, full of bubbles. Bubbles are the identifier, as the cheese is pretty much flavorless. Mild... very mild.

American Cheese is also, for the most part, a sandwich cheese. The Kraft single is a processed version, and Velveeta is a cheese sauce version of this!

I think its safe to say the average America loves cheese-product!

Quincy, and Impossible - thanks for your replies!

Must be "Emmentaler". You know, it's said here that the best part of the "Emmentaler" production goes directly to the US, and what we have here are sort of the mediocre left-overs. I don't know it that's true, but that's what's said.

A sandwich cheese it is, and outside of sandwiches, I don't like it at all.

It's much too mild for my likings.

I have no idea if we can get "American Cheese" here - but we sure get some good (I think british, but I could be wrong) Cheddar and similar.

The more taste it has, the more it "stinks", the better I like it, usually...

ubu

• 1 year later...

I've really flipped over this Italian Umbriaco (bottom of page).....soaked in wine, has a distinct flavor of apples. My local cheese shop has been getting small quantities here & there for the past six months and they now tell me that their distributor can no longer secure it. I bought the last lb. yesterday and will now have to find a new source. Perhaps this place? Anyone know of them...or have another online source/suggestion?

http://www.cheeseshopcarmel.com/cheese/alp...ally/alpha4.htm

At this very moment we have the world's biggest cheese festival in Bra, near Torino (fifth edition). This year the main theme is goat's cheese, with cheese from Armenia to Argentina.

I have to admit that the quality of italian cheese is the main cause of my cholesterol.

Brownie, with all respect, in Italy we have more cheese than in France. :P

Edited by porcy62

I find it very difficult to find a good, aged cheese in the U.S. Even the French Camembert sold here tastes blah.

My favorite is a Danish cheese called Gamle Ole--it is very funky, drives people out of the room, but it sure caresses my palate. I can't get it here, it is apparently not bland enough, so I ask friends to bring it across the pond.

rulle0509.jpg

Edited by Christiern

=minew,Mar 18 2004, 12:30 PM]

Manchego!

And if you're hooked on cheddar, try one of the real ones:  Keen's or Montgomery's sold by Neal's Yard Dairy in London and available at your better stores (e.g., Whole Foods).

Shrugs just mentioned the Canadian BLACK DIAMOND CHEDDARS They are available in all the usual forms for cheddar [mild, medium, old, both coloured and white]. Their cheddars have been among the most praised cheddars, internationally for at least thirty years.

Even their mild has bite and the old will send you to heaven if you like a really strong cheddar. It's crumbley, and totally wonderful.

So-called "processed cheese slices" are an abomination. :crazy:

Edited by patricia

I love cheese. Sheep's milk, goats milk, and cow's milk cheeses.

To me a "sharp" cheese is one that is high in acidity. I love "sharp" cheeses. Goat's milk is probably the highest in acidity of the three types of milk. "Sharp" cheese goes very well with high acidity wines like Sauvignon Blanc.

The best cheeses are made from unpasteurized milk, which yields the most complicated aromas and flavors. If you like Cheddar, than buy the most expensive, unpasteurized "English Farm House" Cheddar that you can afford.

Parmagiano Reggiano is the king of Italian cheeses, the ultimate grating cheese. The best examples are grainy and almost crystalline. The smallest smidgen when placed on the tongue creates an explosion of flavor. As Jazzmoose mentioned above, a dab of balsamic vinegar on a morsel of Parmigiano may afford one a glimpse of culinary heaven.

Stilton is the king of English cheeses. Like Parmagiano, the best examples explode on the palate. Stilton is both richly creamy and firmly crumbly, like the Platonic ideal of Cheddar, and veined with blue mold to boot. Stilton is so rich that is serves as the ultimate dessert in concord with a sweet fortified wine such as Port.

Here are a few cheeses that haven't been mentioned yet:

Garoxta -- a delicious hard Spanish cheese made from goat's milk. Nice and sharp.

Morbier -- a semi-hard, "smelly," French cow's milk cheese, in which, traditionally, the morning's milking and the evening's milking are separated by a thin layer of vegetable ash. In the best examples, the dual layers are noticeably different in flavor.

Taleggio -- a semi-soft, Italian Cow's milk cheese, definitely smelly, but meaty, fruity, and delicious.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Did I mention that I love cheese?

Edited by Kalo

Parmigiano Reggiano has long been a staple . I know a place in the Bronx that sells really great Reggiano for $8.99 a pound.

A recent discovery for me is another Italian cheese, Piave. It's somewhat reminiscent of Parmigiano when aged, but I prefer it when it's half-way there, eaten by itself.

Do you know that a battle is fighting at WTO about 'Parmesan', as well about 'mozzarella' or wine's name?

Who has the right to call himself 'parmesan'? Producers all over the world call their cheese 'parmesan'. In Italy the best parmesan has a proper and exclusive brand 'Parmigiano Reggiano' with several quality controls. The best parmigiano is 24/36 months aged and it sell at 30 euros for Kilo.

Edited by porcy62

On the menu tonight will be goat cheese from southern France accompanied by fresh bread and a bottle of 2004 Montravel white wine.

My better half and I bought the cheese at the local market in southern France on the eve of our return to Paris.

The goat cheese is locally made. One of the cheese is sold fresh after being mixed with garlic!

Couple of other cheese are aged and are rock-hard. All delicious!

I have been on a diet for a few weeks and I am doing pretty well. But when it comes to cheese, any Frenchman would find it difficult to resist.I make sure there is not too much stock in the fridge! My favourite is 'Epoisses' which is made in Burgundy (France). Great stuff! I doubt you can find it in the States but I strongly recommend it to our British board members. In the UK, Waitrose is the only place where you can find it. Give it a go, you won't regret it! :wub::tup

Edited by ASNL77