Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardbopjazz

Happy Birthday, Sonny Simmons.

33 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, felser said:

'Rumasuma' is badly in need of a CD issue.  Should have been a no-brainer OJC.  We've been waiting for over 30 years!  The other huge miss by OJC is 'Home' by Gary Bartz with Woody Shaw.

Totally. So happy I jumped on Burning Spirits, promo used! But come on, Bartz, Shaw, Contemporary, in that really interesting period, period? Neglected! And I mean that part of Contemporary, not the Peppers, Hawes, or the Manns ( and I like that later period where Mann was getting freer (Kessel, Tal too.) Deserves reissues! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, felser said:

'Rumasuma' is badly in need of a CD issue.  Should have been a no-brainer OJC.  We've been waiting for over 30 years!  The other huge miss by OJC is 'Home' by Gary Bartz with Woody Shaw.

Fully agree! Simmons remains such a underrated figure. I’ve always loved the way he connected bop and free jazz and his warm voice. A very creative and original artist. I always wonder why for instance the Japanese reissue companies never issued such a record as Rumasuma. Glad I secured a vinyl copy last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pim said:

Fully agree! Simmons remains such a underrated figure. I’ve always loved the way he connected bop and free jazz and his warm voice. A very creative and original artist. I always wonder why for instance the Japanese reissue companies never issued such a record as Rumasuma. Glad I secured a vinyl copy last year.

11 hours ago, felser said:

'Rumasuma' is badly in need of a CD issue.  Should have been a no-brainer OJC.  We've been waiting for over 30 years!  The other huge miss by OJC is 'Home' by Gary Bartz with Woody Shaw.

 

Never heard it, is it worth the cd wait?

A stupid question to some, but I'm entirely out of the vinyl market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's great but i just know it from youtube

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Niko said:

I think it's great but i just know it from youtube

I know its here, but in a strange way, I don't want to ruin the experience, but then again, if this is the only way I can listen to it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Holy Ghost said:

I know its here, but in a strange way, I don't want to ruin the experience, but then again, if this is the only way I can listen to it....

Take the opportunity to hear it.  At this late date, it's very unlikely to receive reissue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an enjoyable record for sure, though I must admit it's been some time since it's been on deck. I can't imagine it being reissued on CD either... maybe a bootleg LP will surface but that's about it. 

Really had a great time interviewing Simmons many years ago. I can still hear his voice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2022 at 6:04 AM, Holy Ghost said:

I know its here, but in a strange way, I don't want to ruin the experience, but then again, if this is the only way I can listen to it....

Just click the YouTube "play" button (you probably already have!) and let it play. Simmons plays well, but Donald plays really, really well. Barbara Donald should have been on Ascension

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.