New/Recent Blue Note signings

mjazzg

I'm heartened to see that BN are signing some new talent.  I haven't seen them discussed here but then they're not dead or in their 80s :)

Anyone checked any of these out yet?  I like the Ndudzo Makhatini a lot, the Ross I'm less convinced about (although very much liked his contributions to the recent Peter Evans) on a couple of listens and I still need to hear the Wilkins' 'Omega'

Anyone spotted any more?

R-15083136-1591072458-1642.jpeg.jpg

R-13619280-1557651786-8853.jpeg.jpg

Immanuel Wilkins - Omega – Blue Note Records 

Edited by mjazzg

7 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm heartened to see that BN are signing some new talent.  I haven't seen them discussed here but then they're not dead or in their 80s :)

Anyone checked any of these out yet?  I like the Ndudzo Makhatini a lot, the Ross I'm less convinced about (although very much liked his contributions to the recent Peter Evans) on a couple of listens and I still need to hear the Wilkins' 'Omega'

Anyone spotted any more?

R-15083136-1591072458-1642.jpeg.jpg

I liked this one.

My thoughts on this. If Blue Note did not want anyone to associate them with the Alfred Lion Blue Note, they would change the name.

But they didn't. So what are some marketing options to keep them current with 2020 jazz yet not ignore their roots? Sign talented new artists such as Wilkins, Ross, Clayton, and re-sign a few of the veterans like Wayne, Dr. Lonnie and now Joe. The back-catalog is not doing great, as far as I am concerned, but I do not collect vinyl.

Billy Harper is an interesting idea. A veteran who has never been a leader. Joe already was a leader once in 1999, and has many sidemen dates. Billy has a more fleeting connection. Signing him strictly based on his powerful artistry regardless of age or BN connections is a perfectly logical choice from the artistic point of view, but the bean-counters run the show.

Edited by bertrand

27 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Billy Harper is an interesting idea. A veteran who has never been a leader.

Surely you jest?

Or do you mean just never a leader on Blue Note?

28 minutes ago, bertrand said:

But they didn't. So what are some marketing options to keep them current with 2020 jazz yet not ignore their roots? Sign talented new artists such as Wilkins, Ross, Clayton, and re-sign a few of the veterans like Wayne, Dr. Lonnie and now Joe.

That was how Lundvall "re-launched" the label, if you think about it.

I have digital promos of the Wilkins, Clayton, new Frisell and album by Artemis and the Blue Note: reimagined I intend to review.  I listened to most of the Clayton, Logan Richardson and Marcus Gilmore make very strong contributions.  After a listen, I need to really focus on the Wilkins, there is some really good playing there.  I think Blue Note should keep signing new artists because thee most important thing in jazz is to be present in the here and now.  Blue Note at this point as we all know is just a brand, and I don't think many artists have broken out during the Don Was era, Robert Glasper, Norah Jones and Jose James were all with them in the Lundvall era, Ambrose Akinmusire too whom I think is the biggest stand out.  This current era is not that different from the George Butler/UA one honestly... most of what's being put out is product.  If anything, Blue Note should sign someone like Connie Han because she could benefit from more diverse settings.

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

I liked this one.

It is good but the sound is horrible.  So compressed.

Edited by CJ Shearn