Artists who got overlooked during the CD reissue heyday

duaneiac

1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

What's about Al Cohn's recordings on Xanadu?  Two of them have never been issued in digital format: Al Cohn's America and No Problem

I downloaded both of these from eMusic, back in the day (they're no longer available there).  These sound like needle drops, probably supplied by Schlitten, but I do have them.

1 minute ago, mjzee said:

I downloaded both of these from eMusic, back in the day (they're no longer available there).  These sound like needle drops, probably supplied by Schlitten, but I do have them.

I didn't know about those, mjzee.  Glad they're OUT there!  :tup 

IIRC, I first heard Play It Now via emusic -- but I must've missed the others.  

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Yes - deservedly damned to Eternal Damnation Design Hell (and I will keep my foot on that cellar door along with everybody else's so they don't ever escape), but fuck it, they got the records out. Not just Muse, but Atlantic, hello Fathead/Hand Crawford.

Oh hail yes.

And Rahsaan!  (on both Atlantic and Warner Brothers)

And Eddie Harris!

EDIT:  I suppose Collectables reissued some of these Atlantic guys too.  But the 32 Jazz reissues were friggin' Cadillacs compared to Collectables' CHEAP-O-RAMA reissues.

10 minutes ago, jcam_44 said:

First name that came to mind was a Muse artist of course. Ricky Ford. 

Good call.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

As for the owners...if you buy the Chess/Checker/Argo Cadet catalog, what are you buying it for? For the blues records, right? And even then, what, 3-5 names, mostly, right? And with good reason - you can sell the shit out of those records from now until forever. But everything else that comes with that? Hey, it all just came with that burger, like the fries you don't care if you get or not. And Bill Leslie? Not even a stray fry, more like the toothpick that you take out and throw away before you even get started. Not even a tasseled tooth pick at that.

It just seems like a squandering of their resources.  Yes, the bulk of their sales will come from Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, etc. on the blues side  Still, somewhere around 1996 or so, some ambitious corporate marketing VP should have pondered, "Hey! EMI/Capitol/Blue Note is making money by reissuing their Kenny Burrell and Lou Donaldson albums on CD.  Fantasy/Prestige is making money by reissuing their Jack McDuff, Shirley Scott and Sonny Stitt albums on CD.  We own the rights to albums by all of those people and more.  Why don't we get a slice of that market?"  They already owned the material, and there was already a proven market for such material.  All they had to do was the bare minimum of mastering and packaging and putting it out there.  Maybe a James Moody CD reissue won't sell as much as an Etta James CD reissue year after year (back when CDs sold), but it will sell and it will make the rights holder a little bit of money.  What's the downside of that?  That there are so many different versions and repackagings of the Ahmad Jamal material on various EU labels should prove that there is and was a large enough market waiting for this music to come out on CD.

49 minutes ago, duaneiac said:

It just seems like a squandering of their resources.  Yes, the bulk of their sales will come from Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, etc. on the blues side  Still, somewhere around 1996 or so, some ambitious corporate marketing VP should have pondered, "Hey! EMI/Capitol/Blue Note is making money by reissuing their Kenny Burrell and Lou Donaldson albums on CD.  Fantasy/Prestige is making money by reissuing their Jack McDuff, Shirley Scott and Sonny Stitt albums on CD.  We own the rights to albums by all of those people and more.  Why don't we get a slice of that market?"  They already owned the material, and there was already a proven market for such material.  All they had to do was the bare minimum of mastering and packaging and putting it out there.  Maybe a James Moody CD reissue won't sell as much as an Etta James CD reissue year after year (back when CDs sold), but it will sell and it will make the rights holder a little bit of money.  What's the downside of that?  That there are so many different versions and repackagings of the Ahmad Jamal material on various EU labels should prove that there is and was a large enough market waiting for this music to come out on CD.

Hey, this is the same ownership that was busy pimping impulse!, Emarcy/Mercury, Verve, and other "status" labels/artists. Fantasy was pimping their brands, and had the good sense to pimp the image at least as much as the artists. In that world, a record like Dangerous Dan Express doesn't even make it above ground to get on the radar.

fortunately, there was/is Japan, and those Anorkans are very aware of that.

I recently bought the James Moody 4-CD set on Enlightenment, all Argo material.  Disc 3 (Cookin' The Blues/Another Bag) had bad rumble.  So I checked Amazon mp3, and they had At The Jazz Workshop (which is Cookin' The Blues with additional tracks from the same engagement) and Another Bag, so I downloaded those to replace the defective disc 3.

I like these Enlightenment sets when they provide music not otherwise easily available. 

Glad to have sparked some conversation about the long, lost Muse catalog. I wonder if it will EVER get a reissue treatment?

I got the Woody Mosaic box, of course and there are some Mark Murphy compilations released on Savoy (streaming, anyway. don't know about CDs). I'd really like to get hold of some of the Earland stuff. I still have a few on vinyl, but don't have a turntable setup anymore.

Another solid one was Roy Brooks "The Free Slave" which I found several years ago on 32Jazz. Killer lineup with Woody Shaw, George Coleman, Hugh Lawson and Cecil McBee, includes the great tune "Will Pan's Walk" (a/k/a Wilpan's Walk).

If Mosaic was in better financial shape, I would try to convince them to release other Muse sets. But at this point I doubt they would be interested.

8 hours ago, BFrank said:

Glad to have sparked some conversation about the long, lost Muse catalog. I wonder if it will EVER get a reissue treatment?

I got the Woody Mosaic box, of course and there are some Mark Murphy compilations released on Savoy (streaming, anyway. don't know about CDs). I'd really like to get hold of some of the Earland stuff. I still have a few on vinyl, but don't have a turntable setup anymore.

Another solid one was Roy Brooks "The Free Slave" which I found several years ago on 32Jazz. Killer lineup with Woody Shaw, George Coleman, Hugh Lawson and Cecil McBee, includes the great tune "Will Pan's Walk" (a/k/a Wilpan's Walk).

If Mosaic was in better financial shape, I would try to convince them to release other Muse sets. But at this point I doubt they would be interested.

Catalog numbers go from 5001 to 5568 (with a few skipped numbers), so over 500 titles!

Columbia/Sony have issued most of the Dave Brubeck catalog on CD except for "Compadres" and "The Last Time We Saw Paris". It is about time.

On another subject- Jordi Pujol of Fresh Sound Records deserves great credit for issuing CDs of many, many LPs that otherwise would never been issued on CD. He continues today. 

John Klemmer's catalog on both Cadet and Impulse have been poorly served on CD.  They weren't consistently great but they were consistently interesting.   Also Chuck Mangione's early 70's Mercury albums, by far the best things he ever did, are MIA with the exception of "Land of Make Believe".

On 8/11/2020 at 0:46 AM, HutchFan said:

I've often thought the same about the Argo/Cadet catalog.  It's been woefully under-served in terms of digital reissues, particularly in the US and Europe.  A quick scroll through the Argo/Cadet discography shows many artists who recorded for the label whose recordings have been overlooked.  These are all in addition to the three that you mentioned -- Ahmad Jamal, Ray Bryant, and Ramsey Lewis.  Consider ...

• Dorothy Ashby - Several
  • Kenny Burrell - The Tender Gender 
  • Lou Donaldson - Several

[snip]

I've been digging around on discogs, and I just realized that I was wrong about The Tender Gender

All ten cuts from the LP are on the CD Soulero.

81zpJf3xMBL._SS500_.jpg

Furthermore, aside from reversing the first two tracks (why?!), the tracks are sequenced exactly like the LP. 

The CD also includes six "bonus cuts":  One is from KB's Christmas record ("My Favorite Things") and five from Ode to 52nd Street (the entire B side).

I had mistakenly assumed that this CD was a hodge-podge-type compilation of all KB's Cadet records -- like the 2-LP set Recapitulation.  But it isn't!  The complete Tender Gender is "hidden" on this disc.

Edited by HutchFan

On 8/12/2020 at 11:29 AM, Stonewall15 said:

Columbia/Sony have issued most of the Dave Brubeck catalog on CD except for "Compadres" and "The Last Time We Saw Paris". It is about time.

On another subject- Jordi Pujol of Fresh Sound Records deserves great credit for issuing CDs of many, many LPs that otherwise would never been issued on CD. He continues today. 

I think "The Riddle" is also not officially released on cd.