Mingus At Carnegie Hall

Tom 1960

Funny story. So I'm sitting here watching ESPN this morning the program "Get Up" and I see in the background from one of the commentators Desmond Howard, the album Mingus at Carnegie Hall on his shelf. Admittingly I'm not familiar with this album although I read that it is pretty much a jam session album. Not a bad thing at least for me. Curious what are some of your thoughts on this particular release? Released on Atlantic Records.

Edited by Tom 1960

I like it. Roland Kirk blows the roof off of Carnegie Hall

The jam session on the album is the second set of the concert, the first set being the Mingus Quintet, with George Adams, Don Pullen and Hamiet Bluiett. If a recording of that set still exists, it has never been released, unfortunately.

Edited by kh1958

Two loong well-chosen Ellington-related pieces ( Tizol's "Perdido", Ellington's "C-Jam Blues") with the Pullen/Mingus/Richmond rhythm section and lots of interesting horn players (Rahsaan, Bluiett, John Handy, George Adams, Charles McPherson, a very young Jon Faddis).   As mentioned, very enjoyable if you think of it as a 1974 festival jam session recording, not as a Mingus album.