Where can I find Mosaic Vinyl Box Sets?

Does anybody know of any U.S. record stores that have mint/near mint condition out of print Mosaic vinyl box sets? I'm aware of what's on discogs, but a lot of those sellers are from other countries and shipping is prohibitively high right now. Some of the sets are also priced way too high (compared to the historical pricing data) on ebay/discogs so I'd much rather deal with the record stores/sellers directly. Any advice?

I bought almost all of the Mosaic CD box sets when they came out and kick myself for not showing any interest in vinyl in the 90s and early 2000s.  As for their vinyl titles, I'm most interested in these box sets:

#110 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Sidney Bechet (6 LPs)
#144 The Complete CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions (8 Q-LPs)
#146 The Complete Decca Studio Recordings of Louis Armstrong and the All Stars (8 Q-LPs)
#147 The Complete Serge Chaloff Sessions (5 Q-LPs) 
#148 The Complete Capitol Small Group Recordings of Benny Goodman 1944-1955 (6 Q-LPs) 
#149 The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (15 Q-LPs) 
#153 The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Charles Brown (7 Q-LPs) 
#160 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Duke Ellington (7 Q-LPs) 
#161 - The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66) (10 LPs) 
#166 The Complete Blue Note/UA Curtis Fuller Sessions (5 LPs) 
#169 The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions (11 LPs) 
#170 Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions (19 LPs) 
#174 The Complete Atlantic Recordings of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh (10 Q-LPs) 
#175 The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Chico Hamilton Quintet (9 Q-LPs) 
#176 The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre (10 Q-LPs) 
#178 The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions (1963-67) (6 Q-LPs) 
#183 Miles Davis: The Complete Bitches Brew (6 Q-LPs) 
#3007 Louis Armstrong & The All Stars: Newport 1956 & 1958 (4 LPs) 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton, NJ has many, many Mosaics but they don’t ship. You will have to call them to find out. I may be going down there next week so I could always pick up something for you. 

But I've been told that the Princeton Record Exchange prices on the high side.

As for the original poster, bemoaning the lack of reasonably-priced mint condition vinyl would seem to indicate that you are new to this game. Welcome to many years of frustration. Since you missed the old days of waiting years and years for your local record shop to get in certain records in any condition, you might not realize how much many of us long-time record buyers love Discogs. :)

I'll also add that the sets in your list with QLP in the description, were cut from the same digital master as the CD set, so if you buy one of them, you're simply playing back the music on your CD set with a needle.

11 minutes ago, bresna said:

I'll also add that the sets in your list with QLP in the description, were cut from the same digital master as the CD set, so if you buy one of them, you're simply playing back the music on your CD set with a needle.

Yep, about the Davis' sets, it's a matter of aesthetic choice: better the teared spine of the LP or the rust on the CD?

Edited by porcy62

To accumulate the vinyl sets will probably take the best part of 20 years, especially in that sort of condition. Much easier to find the CD sets, especially in the era of the heavier vinyl sets when the vinyl sets sold were generally much lower  in number.

5 hours ago, bresna said:

By and large, they can sound damn good though.

Edited by sidewinder

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

By and large, they can sound damn good though.

I didn't say they sounded bad. :) I just think that someone that has the CD version needn't go crazy if they want all analog vinyl. I don't think it's worth the premium over the CD versions.

This is why I still haven't bought a vinyl version of the Horace Parlan set yet. When I find one for a decent price, sure I'll pick it up.

9 hours ago, Brad said:

Princeton Record Exchange in Princeton, NJ has many, many Mosaics but they don’t ship. You will have to call them to find out. I may be going down there next week so I could always pick up something for you. 

Thanks so much, Brad!  I just ordered the Sidney Bechet vinyl box from them. 

9 hours ago, bresna said:

But I've been told that the Princeton Record Exchange prices on the high side.

As for the original poster, bemoaning the lack of reasonably-priced mint condition vinyl would seem to indicate that you are new to this game. Welcome to many years of frustration. Since you missed the old days of waiting years and years for your local record shop to get in certain records in any condition, you might not realize how much many of us long-time record buyers love Discogs. :)

From talking with them over the phone, I have to say that the prices are far more reasonable than anything I have seen on discogs or ebay.

You're right!  I am new to the vinyl buying game.  I wish I had known about the different audiophile labels a decade ago before everything went out of print!  Now, I'm scrambling to find all of the sealed Classic Records, MFSL, Analogue Productions, Speakers Corner, Audio Fidelity, Pure Pleasure and Mosaic I can afford.

I checked with Michael Cuscuna on this and he confirmed that all of the Q LPs are AAA...

22 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Fair enough - with no exceptions that I can think of the CD versions do indeed sound generally excellent and I would agree that they provide the Mosaic bargains of the moment. It’s all good ! :)

Agreed.  I've been collecting Mosaic Cd box sets since the early 2000s and, other than a few quality control issues, the sound of the music has been superb.  I was hoping that the sound on record would be even better...

9 hours ago, porcy62 said:

Yep, about the Davis' sets, it's a matter of aesthetic choice: better the teared spine of the LP or the rust on the CD?

I'm very satisfied with the MFSL and Analogue Productions Miles titles.  I only want the Bitches Brew set because I wanted a AAA Big Fun as well as some of the unreleased stuff.  Do you really think the Bitches Brew CD box sounds the same?

13 minutes ago, brednjam1 said:

I'm very satisfied with the MFSL and Analogue Productions Miles titles.  I only want the Bitches Brew set because I wanted a AAA Big Fun as well as some of the unreleased stuff.  Do you really think the Bitches Brew CD box sounds the same?

Honestly I did never compare CD and LP, as Sidewinder said, Mosaic LP sets sounds gorgeous and I tend to prefer LP over CD. I was sarcastic about the boxes, both have problems in the long run.

I always thought BIG FUN stuff was in the CD Columbia box set, not Mosaic.

Edited by porcy62

Just now, porcy62 said:

Honestly I did never compare CD and LP, as Sidewinder said, Mosaic LP sets sounds gorgeous and I tend to prefer LP over CD. I was sarcastic about the boxes, both have problems in the long run.

What do you see as the problems with the Mosaic vinyl sets?  I'm new to this.

12 minutes ago, porcy62 said:

I always thought BIG FUN stuff was in the CD Columbia box set, not Mosaic.

I think you are right Porcy -  much of the ‘Big Fun’ material was in the On The Corner Box by Sony, which Mosaic didn’t cover.

2 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think you are right Porcy -  much of the ‘Big Fun’ material was in the On The Corner Box by Sony, which Mosaic didn’t cover.

Good to know!  I guess only three of the Big Fun songs are on it.  It is still one of my favorite CD box sets though.  The music flows really well as if it was intended to be sequenced in that order.

I was playing ‘Ife’ from that Sony box the other day on CD and marvelling at how well that version sounds. I was disappointed back in the day that Mosaic didn’t do an LP version of this set but these days I’m more chilled. Saves getting up off the sofa every 15 mins. :D

I think they stopped doing LP versions of the Miles sets with the Cellar Door Box onwards.

Edited by sidewinder

1 minute ago, brednjam1 said:

The On the Corner box is also excellent.  I wish one of the audiophile companies would have put all of that material on LP and reissued it.

I have mixed feeling about the later Miles sets, I am fascinated by the playing BEFORE the editing, sometimes overwhelmed, so I can't listen to it more then a couple of LP or one CD. I tend to listen to it as single tracks not as a record, if you understand what I am trying to say.

1 minute ago, sidewinder said:

I was playing ‘Ife’ from that Sony box the other day on CD and marvelling at how well that version sounds. I was disappointed back in the day that Mosaic didn’t do an LP version of this set but these days I’m more chilled. Saves getting up off the sofa every 15 mins. :D

A Music Matter 45 rpm set of those, would be the next new wave of fitness in the California Gyms.

58 minutes ago, brednjam1 said:

I checked with Michael Cuscuna on this and he confirmed that all of the Q LPs are AAA...

You are right - I flipped that around. There is a thread here where this issue is discussed.

From that thread, here is the summary:

According to Mosaic Brochure No 10, the following vinyl sets are digital:

MR6-120 - Paul Desmond 4tet w/ Jim Hall

MR3-121 - Ike Quebec 45 Sessions

MR4-122 - Chet Baker Pacific Jazz Studio

MR23-123,MR23-128 & MR20-134 - the 3 Commodore sets

MR6-127 - Cecil Taylor Candid

MR10-129 - Charlie Parker Dean Benedetti

MR9-130 - T-Bone Walker

MR4-131 - Stan Getz 5tet w/ Jimmy Raney

MR5-132 - George Lewis Blue Notes

MR12-135 - Count Basie Live Roulettes

MR6-136 - Stan Kenton Holman/Russo

MR9-137 - Larry Young Blue Notes

MR27-138 - Nat Cole Capitols

MR5-139 - Otis Spann/Lightin' Hopkins Candids

parts of MQ7-153 - Charles Brown Alladins ( LPs 1,2 & side one of LP 3 )

parts of MQ10-155 - Amos Milburn Alladins ( Lps 1,2,3,4 & side one of LP 5 )

parts of MQ6-165 - Illinois Jacquet 1945-50

most of MQ10-163 - Stan Kenton Capitol Studio

parts of MQ11-164 - Miles Davis/Gil Evans ( LPs 1,8,9,10 & 11 )

MR5-133 - Grant Green/Sonny Clark Blue Notes(Maybe)

5 minutes ago, bresna said:

You are right - I flipped that around. There is a thread here where this issue is discussed.

From that thread, here is the summary:

According to Mosaic Brochure No 10, the following vinyl sets are digital:

MR6-120 - Paul Desmond 4tet w/ Jim Hall

MR3-121 - Ike Quebec 45 Sessions

MR4-122 - Chet Baker Pacific Jazz Studio

MR23-123,MR23-128 & MR20-134 - the 3 Commodore sets

MR6-127 - Cecil Taylor Candid

MR10-129 - Charlie Parker Dean Benedetti

MR9-130 - T-Bone Walker

MR4-131 - Stan Getz 5tet w/ Jimmy Raney

MR5-132 - George Lewis Blue Notes

MR12-135 - Count Basie Live Roulettes

MR6-136 - Stan Kenton Holman/Russo

MR9-137 - Larry Young Blue Notes

MR27-138 - Nat Cole Capitols

MR5-139 - Otis Spann/Lightin' Hopkins Candids

parts of MQ7-153 - Charles Brown Alladins ( LPs 1,2 & side one of LP 3 )

parts of MQ10-155 - Amos Milburn Alladins ( Lps 1,2,3,4 & side one of LP 5 )

parts of MQ6-165 - Illinois Jacquet 1945-50

most of MQ10-163 - Stan Kenton Capitol Studio

parts of MQ11-164 - Miles Davis/Gil Evans ( LPs 1,8,9,10 & 11 )

MR5-133 - Grant Green/Sonny Clark Blue Notes(Maybe)

I have read that post.  I actually checked with Michael Cuscuna about this and he thought a number of those were all analog.  I have a number of those box sets and, in the booklet, they describe how some of the tracks were analog mastered from the original tapes, while others were not.