Mike Weil's discographies, No. 1 - Cal Tjader, 1948-1982

mikeweil

This discography was my starting point to work with the BRIAN database. An abridged version is found as an appendix to S. Duncan Reid's biography of Cal Tjader. I am indebted to him for many details he was able to discuss with musicians who participated in these recordings. We were able to clear many details of the recordings dates and locations - there are many incorrect or simply estimated dates printed in the album credits. Additional thanks are due to James Harrod for his research on Dave Brubeck, Doug Ramsey for his Paul Desmond biography, Jack Woker for some hints out of his long term experience as a collector of vintage records, chewy for his rare finds, and another board member for a tape of a rare Nick Esposito 78 enabling me to compare tracks. The George Shearing sessions with Tjader were released in many different issues which will be added in future updates.

The disco as it was published here was already outdated in some details and will be online on jazzdiscography,com during the next days. Links will be posted here and in other threads related to Tjader threads.

Cal Tjader Discography

Edited by mikeweil

• 2 years later...

Though I´m not very much "vertraut" with the work of Cal Tjader (I think I heard one "Stan Getz with Cal Tjader" on those french label "America" jazz LPs, I admire you for the huge amount of time it took you for that immens work. 
Since I think or deduced that you an active musician and teacher also, it must be a 24 din 24 hours of work.....

I am a percussionist, which started my interest in Tjader's music and enabled me to analyze the rhythmic aspects, but except for a rehearsal percussion band with friends and former students of mine I am retired. The pandemic stopped my private teaching and work as a dance accompanist at the Frankfurt musical academy. Since I always had a part time day job I got along.

It was time consuming, but it was worth it.

42 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Since I think or deduced that you an active musician and teacher also, it must be a 24 din 24 hours of work.....

Edited by mikeweil

oh thanks for information @mikeweil , so it was not with combos, I understand.But teaching and accompanist for dancers is also a hard job. I have a full time job (and full time doesn´t mean from 08.00-16.00 only !!!)  and try to do music if not dozens of gigs at least selected gigs with really good professional musicians. No carbaret card no union member (joke ! )