Mike Weil's discographies - general remarks

mikeweil

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm about to type the data into BRIAN. HutchFan located a copy of the Yambeque CD for me (millions of thanks to him). I think I will start with the RCA sessions and then add the Tico sessions later, then some of the later, as time allows. It's a mountain of work. Incomplete or conttadictory data on various RCA CD reissues. It's a real mess.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

I'm about to type the data into BRIAN. HutchFan located a copy of the Yambeque CD for me (millions of thanks to him). I think I will start with the RCA sessions and then add the Tico sessions later, then some of the later, as time allows. It's a mountain of work. Incomplete or conttadictory data on various RCA CD reissues. It's a real mess.

Do you agree that the short outtake version of "Four Beat Cha-Cha" sounds like it was intended as a tag to spliced onto the end of the released version?

I wonder why RCA did such a shoddy job of documenting this stuff.  

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

My latest discography on organist Paul Bryant, whom most may know from his recordings with Curtis Amy, is now online:

https://jazzdiscography.com/paul-bryant-discography/

Nicely done. I had not noticed anything about the TV appearance, would be great if tape/film survives, to see both Bryant and Curtis Amy.

What do people think of the two Fantasy LPs if they have heard them? I like them but not as much as the earlier ones.  Plas definitely helps on the later one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just saw there is an Al McKibbon discography too. I had not known that Al McKibbon recorded under his own name. That´s really a rarety among the classic jazz bassists of the 40´s (Mc Kibbon, Tommy Potter, Curley Russel and Gene Ramey I think were the most recorded bassists then.
I only once found to my astonishment a disc of Tommy Potter under his own name (hard funk in sweden). 

They all were strong bassists, better known for their sidemen roles than for own soloing. 
McKibbon had a strong tone and can be heard very very well on the Dizzy Gillespie Big Band, I think he also recorded "One Bass Hit" as a solo feature with the band. 

I also like his strong, boppish sound on "Giants of Jazz" and his solo on Tin Tin Deo (I think it´s only a Dizzy-McKibbon duet).