Maria Schneider Orchestra - Data Lords

sonnymax

13 hours ago, medjuck said:

I gotta admit I listened to the first disc once so far but keep playing the 2nd disc.  I'll. start giving the first one a shot again. And as much as I love Maria Schneider I think her liner notes are batty-- but maybe I'm batty and she's the sane one. 

I hadn't read them but I feel compelled to now

3 hours ago, felser said:

Would like to pick this up at some point, as I love her music.  A bunch board members in this area attended her concert at the Philly Art Museum several years ago (2008, apparently), and it was a great evening of music.  

I saw the Orchestra in London about five years ago having not heard any of their music, just booked on reputation. They were tremendous. I definitely heard how the reputation was gained.

The other thing i remember is the CDs for sale on her merch table were crazily expensive, about £25. Was pleased when 'Data Lords' was available as a download.

13 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

The other thing i remember is the CDs for sale on her merch table were crazily expensive, about £25. Was pleased when 'Data Lords' was available as a download.

The $35 CD price tag is what held me back from immediately jumping on this one.

The two-CD set has arrived, but I haven't cracked it open yet--planning to listen to it tomorrow, hopefully, but project deadlines may preclude my giving it a really good hearing for several more days.  Saw her orchestra perform some of this music live at NYC's Birdland in January 2019 and it sounded great... looking forward to hearing the final studio versions.  Here's Nate Chinen's review:

Composer Maria Schneider Returns, With A Reckoning, On 'Data Lords'

She was an artist in residence and gave a concert with students  at the local community college here in Santa Barbara. I somehow didn't find out about it until after she'd left.  No sure I missed much since when she was back in town for a beautiful concert I did see, she announced from the stage that this was the first time she'd been in Santa Barbara. 

Also saw her in Ojai at the music festival there when Dawn Upshaw was the guest director. Schneider and her band gave a morning concert and then in the pm backed Upshaw in a piece Upshaw had commissioned from her. Not sure the latter  was jazz but both were  pretty great. 

13 minutes ago, bresna said:

With shipping, the 2 CD set is $41 - over $20 per CD. These days, that's quite a bit. It seems like she wants us to download this session, but even that is $24.95. I really like her previous releases, so I'll probably bite the bullet but I am still on the fence.

We're not talking about another reissue, or a quartet recording of jazz standards. It's the culmination of a years-long effort by a large cast of impeccable musicians to create an original and lasting piece of art. Purchasing this set also helps insure that Maria can continue to compose, arrange and conduct music that makes a difference to some of us. As someone who contributed more than the minimum to make this project possible, I have no regrets and will continue to support Maria every chance I get.

29ozyb.jpg

We're such a niche market to begin with. Pricing a new release well above the market, especially when said market isn't that great to begin with, seems like a bad business decision... but maybe she's not in it for that?

As I said, I'll probably pull the trigger, but I can't believe that I am the only one who has hesitated on this.

I'm looking around my listening space in my COVID office and I just noticed all of the music staring at me. I just got in a huge order from Tommy's Jazz's Video Arts sale, a big order from Resonance Records, several Tone Poet Blue Note LPs, the Cuban Jam Sessions box set, Michael Weiss's Kickstarter LP and several LPs from the Bandcamp "COVID-19" sale. I'm looking at almost 50 CDs & LPs to spin. I don't think I even got through all of those Black Saint/Soul Note boxes from the last Tommy's Jazz sale. Maybe I can wait on this for a bit. :lol::lol:

1 hour ago, sonnymax said:

We're not talking about another reissue, or a quartet recording of jazz standards. It's the culmination of a years-long effort by a large cast of impeccable musicians to create an original and lasting piece of art. Purchasing this set also helps insure that Maria can continue to compose, arrange and conduct music that makes a difference to some of us. As someone who contributed more than the minimum to make this project possible, I have no regrets and will continue to support Maria every chance I get.

29ozyb.jpg

I have not missed any of her releases either, This set is likely the best yet. Worth every penny!

LWayne

4 hours ago, LWayne said:

I have not missed any of her releases either, This set is likely the best yet. Worth every penny!

LWayne

Ditto.  (I once searched half a dozen up-scale super-markets in order to find Concert in the Garden which was originally only available packaged with a couple of bottles of wine. )

5 hours ago, Patrick said:

Do you mean Days of Wine and Roses?

That is the title of the CD that came with the two bottles of wine. I had to special order that gift box from a local liquor store. The wine was pretty good too. I soaked off one of the labels and slid it into the CD booklet. BTW - Maria changed the cover when she reissued this via ArtistShare.

Original Enja CD cover:

Maria Schneider Orchestra - Days Of Wine And Roses - Live At The ...

ArtistShare CD cover:

Maria Schneider - Days Of Wine & Roses Live At The Jazz Standard ...

I don't really get that second one.

• 1 year later...