Alan Wakeman - The Octet Recordings

RogerF

Strictly speaking this should come under the heading of "archival release" because it isn't a reissue as such. The album comprises two BBC radio broadcasts roughly a decade apart. It's released on Friday 21 August 2020 and from the teaser track pre-released it sounds excellent. Also sports some of the cream of British jazzers. More details here: Gearbox Records

AlanWakeman.jpg

Edited by RogerF

On my list, for sure. Those ‘Jazz in Britain’ broadcasts were usually good and often by seldom recorded bands - wish I had recorded them.

Alan Wakeman still very much active and playing great on both his own projects and with the Westbrooks.

Edited by sidewinder

What I particularly like about this release, apart from the music (obviously), is that Gearbox has attributed these recordings to their source (ie, The BBC). Some labels don't seem to bother too much with this "trivia" which makes me rather irritated. Update: But this is also why this double album's title is actually The Octet Broadcasts.

AlanWakeman.jpg

Edited by RogerF

17 minutes ago, RogerF said:

What I particularly like about this release, apart from the music (obviously), is that Gearbox has attributed these recordings to their source (ie, The BBC) from whom, I assume, they have licensed them. Some labels don't seem to bother too much with this "trivia" which makes me rather irritated.

I think the BBC provided archival recordings to the British Library so presumably that is the source used. Thankfully quite a bit survives, although many of the BBC sessions seem to be lost. The listing in the Harry Beckett book has a whole load of gems listed which don’t seem to have been recovered.

Edited by sidewinder

Anyone else surprised to see Paul Lytton drumming on the '69 session? Not his usual habitat.

Also, I'm going to find the announcers very tiresome each time I listen to this, they really break up the run of the music which is fabulous. Their inclusion may make the difference for me to purchase or stream.  I really can't see what they're meant to add beyond quaint historical context - a mistake I feel.

Edited by mjazzg

1 hour ago, mjazzg said:

Anyone else surprised to see Paul Lytton drumming on the '69 session? Not his usual habitat.

Also, I'm going to find the announcers very tiresome each time I listen to this, they really break up the run of the music which is fabulous. Their inclusion may make the difference for me to purchase or stream.  I really can't see what they're meant to add beyond quaint historical context - a mistake I feel.

Part of the reason for inclusion of the intro was that in the '69 recording due to time limitations Brian Priestley had to make an announcement at the beginning of one track over John Taylor's piano cadenza which Wakeman in his sleeve notes admits was unfortunate but seemingly unavoidable. So to remove the intro to that track would have also removed JT's playing too. Not ideal, I agree. (and yes, Lytton playing "straight" traps is indeed a rareity).