4 cd Mingus Set to be Released on Sunnyside in November

sonnyhill

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never saw Mingus play sitting down before.  This looks interesting, even though (personal preference) I'd prefer not to hear Dolphy, Adams or Pullen.

From this site https://mingus.onttonen.info/1964.html I drew the following info:

Notes: *) Byard only
a) Moon MCD 016-2
b) Landscape LS2-905
c) Bandstand BDCD 1524
April 16
Bremen, Germany
AT FW USA* 4:24 a,d
Sophisticated Lady 3:45 a,d,e(?)
Meditations 24:45 c
Fables Of Faubus 33:00 b
Parkeriana 21:15 c
So Long Eric 25:00 a

Every night on the 64 tour was different. Only the outlines stayed the same. So, I think I already have this gig, but will make sure. Those were giants in full power, all of them.

'75 is gonna be Adams/Waltrath/Pullen, correct? That was a good band, to put it mildly!

And Sunnyside is a legit label, right? So Sue's getting paid, right?

Even so, grab it today, before sundown, just in case.

Yes, Sunnyside is a legitimate label with a sizable catalog. They previously reissued the Music Written For Monterey, Not Heard concert on CD, as well as the 1970 Mingus Paris recordings from America (Reincarnation of a Lovebird on the Prestige twofer). Also, they have released three Mingus Big Band recordings.

50 minutes ago, felser said:

Count me in due to the '75 recordings.  Have so very much of the '64 European recordings already, I'm not sure what another set could tell me.

...but some more Don Pullen and George Adams era is right on time!  I don't find myself going back to that '64 European tour so much these days.

14 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

Yes, Sunnyside is a legitimate label with a sizable catalog. They previously reissued the Music Written For Monterey, Not Heard concert on CD, as well as the 1970 Mingus Paris recordings from America (Reincarnation of a Lovebird on the Prestige twofer). Also, they have released three Mingus Big Band recordings.

Not to mention issuing the Joe Castro box set which is supposed to see a Volume 2 coming out this fall.

26 minutes ago, Jim Duckworth said:

I don't find myself going back to that '64 European tour so much these days.

It's not something you necessarily "come back to" once it imprints in full. Once that happens, it'll always be there. But three's not one not of that tour that I would think as inessential or casually disposable. But again, once you get it, hey, it's done its job and so have you.

Thinking about it though , I need to buy this even if I already have it on a boot or other non-licensed form. Like the man said, you got to be true to your code.

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Not to mention issuing the Joe Castro box set which is supposed to see a Volume 2 coming out this fall.

I decided to go back and pick that one up because more Teddy, was expecting it to be OOP or somewhat steep, but no, still there, still affordable.

and they've been around quite a while, iirc. Didn't Bob Belden's first leader date (or two?) come out as a big band LP on sunnyside?

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

'75 is gonna be Adams/Waltrath/Pullen, correct? That was a good band, to put it mildly!

Yes, very mildly!  See the CD cover in the initial post, plus from Discogs:

Charles Mingus ‎– Live At Postaula, Bremen, Germany July 9, 1975

Label:
SBD Records ‎– none
Format:
2 × CD, Album, Unofficial Release

Released:

Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

1-1 Sue's Changes 32:52
1-2 For Harry Carney 13:12
1-3 Free Cell Block F, 'Tis Nazi U.S.A 8:13
2-1 Black Bats And Poles 11:39
2-2 Fables Of Faubus 15:31
2-3 Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love 13:09
2-4 Theme 1:45
2-5 Remember Rockefeller At Attica 9:36
2-6 Devil Blues 8:45

Companies, etc.

Credits

• 1 month later...
On 8/25/2020 at 4:43 PM, felser said:

Yes, very mildly!  See the CD cover in the initial post, plus from Discogs:

Charles Mingus ‎– Live At Postaula, Bremen, Germany July 9, 1975

Label:
SBD Records ‎– none
Format:
2 × CD, Album, Unofficial Release

Released:

Genre:
Style:

Tracklist

1-1 Sue's Changes 32:52
1-2 For Harry Carney 13:12
1-3 Free Cell Block F, 'Tis Nazi U.S.A 8:13
2-1 Black Bats And Poles 11:39
2-2 Fables Of Faubus 15:31
2-3 Duke Ellington's Sound Of Love 13:09
2-4 Theme 1:45
2-5 Remember Rockefeller At Attica 9:36
2-6 Devil Blues 8:45

Companies, etc.

Credits

Jack Walrath recently confirmed on Facebook that the titles for Cell Block F and Rockefeller were flipped, i.e., the first song on Changes One in Cell Block F. Both tunes are on the Bremen set. Will this be corrected?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2020 at 11:08 AM, bertrand said:

Jack Walrath recently confirmed on Facebook that the titles for Cell Block F and Rockefeller were flipped, i.e., the first song on Changes One in Cell Block F. Both tunes are on the Bremen set. Will this be corrected?

How do I contact Sunnyside? Facebook did not work.

• 4 weeks later...