4 cd Mingus Set to be Released on Sunnyside in November

sonnyhill

I'm loving this release.  Both concerts-- though I played 1975 first since I've heard so many of the '64 concerts. (I think I have most of them on DVD).  Just as I was  thinking that Johnny Coles was really sounding like mid-'50s Miles on" Meditations on Integration" he quoted both "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "I Got Plenty of Nothin'".

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2020-09-28 at 11:08 AM, bertrand said:

Jack Walrath recently confirmed on Facebook that the titles for Cell Block F and Rockefeller were flipped, i.e., the first song on Changes One in Cell Block F. Both tunes are on the Bremen set. Will this be corrected?

This may just go down as an unfortunate historical accident, but it seems a bit late in the day to try to get people to mentally switch over if the labelling on the Changes CDs is incorrect (and no one is seriously talking about repressing these with new titles...).  At any rate, I was just listening, and "Free Cell Block F" matches the first song on Changes Two, which is also titled (apparently incorrectly) "Free Cell Block F."

I went back to the Mingus at Montreux CD, and Mingu s announces Cell Block F and proceeds to play the opening rune on Changes One. He would know...

I was also unable to convince Mosaic that the titles for the Wayne Shorter pieces Blues A La Carte and Harry's Last Stand were flipped, although the copyright deposit lead sheets that Wayne sent in confirm it. Oh well...

• 2 months later...

So far I've only listened to the 1964 set.  IMHO despite not being a hardcore Johnny Coles fan, this group was much better before he got sick and left - he made the ensembles so much richer.

re "how many 1964 recordings do we need"... hard to answer.  Depends on how much you love the music.  I bucket this with 1960s Coltrane and 1960s/70s Miles Davis ensembles where I'm glad to have a lot of recordings and in some cases wish we had more.

Looking forward to spending time w/1975.

Edited by Guy Berger

On 11/27/2020 at 1:39 PM, medjuck said:

I'm loving this release.  Both concerts-- though I played 1975 first since I've heard so many of the '64 concerts. (I think I have most of them on DVD).  Just as I was  thinking that Johnny Coles was really sounding like mid-'50s Miles on" Meditations on Integration" he quoted both "Bye Bye Blackbird" and "I Got Plenty of Nothin'".

How many of the 64 concerts are on DVD? This is news to me.

OK, so 'most' of them are not on DVD. I thought I was missing something!

I went through the discography. I have all the official recordings from the tour (inlcuding the Mosaic box and the DVD), and just got the Copenhagen bootleg which is great. I think one or two of them I only got as downloads, I need to look into that. I also have a download of at least one bootleg.

This makes me wonder how many of these were filmed beyond those discussed above...

Bertrand. 

EDIT

I only got Revenge! as a free download from the Library, I wonder if it is still in print. I also have a download of Stuttgart, I think there was a bootleg.

I actually made a playlist from the tour (and US pre-tour). Here is what I have. Am I missing anything?

Cornell 3/18/64 (Blue Note CD)

Town Hall 4/4/64 (Fantasy CD - partial concert; full concert in the Mosaic Box)

Concertgebouw 4/10/64 (Mosaic Box)

Copenhagen 4/14/64 (Bootleg CD on Hi Hat)

Bremen 4/16/64 (Sunnyside CD)

Paris 4/17/64 (Revenge!)

Paris 4/19/64 (Great Concert)

Wuppertal 4/26/64 (In Europe 1 and 2 on Enja)

Stuttgart 4/28/64 (Bootleg CD?)

Edited by bertrand

6 hours ago, bertrand said:

OK, so 'most' of them are not on DVD. I thought I was missing something!

I went through the discography. I have all the official recordings from the tour (inlcuding the Mosaic box and the DVD), and just got the Copenhagen bootleg which is great. I think one or two of them I only got as downloads, I need to look into that. I also have a download of at least one bootleg.

This makes me wonder how many of these were filmed beyond those discussed above...

Bertrand. 

EDIT

I only got Revenge! as a free download from the Library, I wonder if it is still in print. I also have a download of Stuttgart, I think there was a bootleg.

I actually made a playlist from the tour (and US pre-tour). Here is what I have. Am I missing anything?

Cornell 3/18/64 (Blue Note CD)

Town Hall 4/4/64 (Fantasy CD - partial concert; full concert in the Mosaic Box)

Concertgebouw 4/10/64 (Mosaic Box)

Copenhagen 4/14/64 (Bootleg CD on Hi Hat)

Bremen 4/16/64 (Sunnyside CD)

Paris 4/17/64 (Revenge!)

Paris 4/19/64 (Great Concert)

Wuppertal 4/26/64 (In Europe 1 and 2 on Enja)

Stuttgart 4/28/64 (Bootleg CD?)

Oslo 4/12/64

Stockholm 4/13/64

Both partialy on Jazz Icons DVD. CD's are near imposible to find.

Edited by miles65
typo

• 2 weeks later...

Dolphy’s bass clarinet excursion on “Fables Of Faubus” (disc 1) sounded symphonic to me tonight in its range and import. Not to be missed. Been awhile since I listened to any of the other numerous Mingus ‘64 recordings that I have, so I should go back and listen again to what he does on different performances, but ffs, he was a thrill to follow with the ears here.

• 5 months later...

What I love about great music is that no matter how times you hear it, there's always something new to lean your ear toward. Right now, it's Clifford Jorday on the 64 Bremen. I mean, my god, everything by this band, ever, please. But of course, Dolphy, and then Byard will grab your ears by the balls. But let the swelling subside, and oh MY, Clifford Jordan, y'all!

Great music.

Mingus had so many different periods, I mean the early days of the workshop, the blues and gospel thing in the late 50´s early 60´s , then a period I don´t like so much when he played more piano and let somebody else play the bass, and then THE GREATEST BAND and greatest music. Everything after that became a disappointment, until 1975 with Adams and Pullen, and then Walrath Ricky Ford Bob Neloms....

So this album has the two very best bands that Mingus had. 

21 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Mingus had so many different periods, I mean the early days of the workshop, the blues and gospel thing in the late 50´s early 60´s , then a period I don´t like so much when he played more piano and let somebody else play the bass, and then THE GREATEST BAND and greatest music. Everything after that became a disappointment, until 1975 with Adams and Pullen, and then Walrath Ricky Ford Bob Neloms....

Check out "Let My Children Hear Music" from the early 70's.  A masterpiece.

On 8/18/2021 at 11:58 PM, Gheorghe said:

I would add the base 1957 group to those two--with Jimmy Knepper, Shafi Hadi and Dannie Richmond, with various pianists and sometimes, Gene Shaw.