Sonny Rollins "Rollins In Holland: 1967 Studio And Live Recordings"

ghost of miles

As two tracks from the forthcoming release

SIDE D — Recorded live at Academie voor Beeldende Kunst, Arnhem, The Netherlands on May 3, 1967

1. They Can’t Take That Away From Me/Sonnymoon for Two (9:33) – G. Gershwin, I. Gershwin / Frankie G. Songs, Nokawi Music (ASCAP) & S. Rollins / Son Rol Music Company (BMI)
  2. On Green Dolphin Street/There Will Never Be Another You (15:00) – B. Kaper, N. Washington / Catharine Hinen, Pattie Washington Music, Primary Waves Songs (ASCAP) & M. Gordon, H. Warren / Four Jays Music Co., Mattsam Music, Morley Music Co. (ASCAP)

differ (aka are approx 4 minutes shorter each) from the "bootlegs" circulating in collector circles, I wonder about the reason.

I`ve contacted via FB Mr. Feldman whether this is either due to the LP length running time limitation editing or other reason, but didn`t receive any feedback until now ....

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I asked my contact why the recordings are not presented in chronological order over the two CDs.  She contacted Zev Feldman, and he responded twice.

"In short, we faced difficulty when programming the Lp sides and we did this so it fit and also still had a good flow. "

and

"The more expansive answer to the question about chronological order is that we wanted to lead off with the newly-discovered, stereo(!) material from VARA Studio 5. Even though it was recorded 2 days after the Arnhem concert, it had the better fidelity and had never been circulated before in bootleg circles.

It made sense then naturally to program the 2 tracks from the Go-Go Club in Loosdrecht on Side B since it was literally recorded on the same day, and was also a new discovery. 

Regarding the Arnhem concert, we chose not to start with "Love Walked In," which was the first song played at the actual concert, because we didn't want to have the same song appear on the first 3 sides of the 3-LP set. We thought it made for a better listening experience to put it on Side E/LP 3. We also didn't include the incomplete tracks (ie, "My One And Only Love," "Old Devil Moon," and "St. Thomas")." 

20 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Hope there's no scrum to get it!

Over here as we are currently in lockdown it is internet only on the day (6pm). Not that many outlets seem to be doing the Rollins - Unlike the Bill Evans. £70 is pretty rich so will consider the CD. The Evans is more tempting on LP.

Edited by sidewinder

On 27/08/2020 at 5:19 PM, sidewinder said:

Wasn’t cheap here either - £75 I think - and involved a Record Store Day scrum just to get at it. 

I’ve capitulated ! 

Looking forward to hearing this new Rollins release on LP.

On 25/11/2020 at 9:33 PM, clifford_thornton said:

Ah ok, I only have heard the Arnhem stuff so this is even further expanded. Most stores here are not carrying the set on vinyl but I think JRC is. Hope there's no scrum to get it!

Hope you were successful !

Edited by sidewinder

32 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Got it, but side B of the first record is very scuffy -- seems to play okay but I am nevertheless going to ask Resonance whether a replacement of that disc can be procured.

Sorry to hear that - they seem to be having QC problems with RTI at the moment. Discogs already has reports of problems with this one - duplicate LPs.

They are very helpful on replacements so you should hopefully be fine.

Mine will be with me next week so hopefully I don’t get a dud. Was able to source the Bill Evans locally so hope to collect that one by hand tomorrow. Result !

Edited by sidewinder

Resonance Records To Issue Set of
Sonny Rollins Discoveries
From the Dutch Jazz Archive,
"Rollins in Holland,"
As a Limited 3-LP
Record Store Day Exclusive
On November 27

Collection of Unheard "Take-No-Prisoners" Live & Studio Recordings
From the Tenor Sax Master's 1967 Netherlands Tour
Will Arrive as a 2-CD Set
On December 4

Packages Include New Interviews with Rollins &
Dutch Sidemen Han Bennink & Ruud Jacobs,
Comprehensive Notes by Rollins's Biographer Aidan Levy,
An Essay by Journalist-Researcher Frank Jochemsen, &
Rare, Previously Unseen Photographs

November 27, 2020

Los Angeles – Today, “Black Friday,” independent jazz label Resonance Records continues its ongoing tradition of releasing previously unissued archival recordings as limited-edition Record Store Day exclusives with a stellar new three-LP collection of historic Sonny Rollins performances, Rollins in Holland: The 1967 Studio & Live Recordings.

Featuring more than two hours of music, this stunning collection, drawn from tenor saxophone master Rollins’s Netherlands tour of May 1967, will also be presented as a two-CD set, due Dec. 4. The Rollins set succeeds Resonance’s critically acclaimed RSD archival finds from such jazz giants as Bill Evans, Eric Dolphy, and Wes Montgomery. Last November saw the release of the label’s poll-topping 10-LP/seven-CD Nat King Cole box Hittin’ the Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943).

Resonance co-president Zev Feldman, known within the industry as “the Jazz Detective,” says of the forthcoming release, “The music on Rollins in Holland is extraordinary. Rollins fans will rejoice when they hear the news of this discovery. These performances follow an important time in his life, and he brought those experiences along with him to make this incredible music.”

In a new interview with Feldman included in the set, the 90-year-old Rollins says, “I’m so happy that Resonance is putting it out because it really represents a take-no-prisoners type of music. That’s sort of what I was doing around that period of time; that was sort of Sonny Rollins then—a wham-bam-thank-you-ma’am approach. It was very much me. And I loved it and I loved playing with those guys.”

The music heard on the Resonance album is drawn from a little-documented period in Rollins’s career. The musician’s 1966 Impulse! album East Broadway Run Down was his final record date before a studio hiatus that lasted until 1972. In 1969, mirroring a celebrated public exit of a decade earlier, he began a two-year sabbatical from live performing.

Rollins in Holland captures the then 36-year-old jazz titan in full flight, in total command of his horn at the height of his great improvisational powers. He is heard fronting a trio, the same demanding instrumental format that produced some of the early triumphs of his long career: the live A Night at the Village Vanguard (Blue Note, 1957) and the studio dates Way Out West (Contemporary, 1957) and Freedom Suite (Riverside, 1958).

During his brief but busy 1967 stay in the Netherlands, the saxophonist was supported by two of the nation’s top young players, bassist Ruud Jacobs and drummer Han Bennink. The pair had together supported such visiting American jazzmen as Johnny Griffin, Ben Webster, Wes Montgomery, and Clark Terry, among others. Jacobs was a celebrated straight-ahead accompanist, while Bennink had developed a reputation as an avant-garde lion, having backed Eric Dolphy on 1964’s Last Date. The pair jelled magnificently behind their celebrated leader.

Rollins in Holland brings together material drawn from three separate appearances by the trio: a freewheeling May 3 concert at the Arnhem Academy of Visual Arts, at which Rollins stretched out in expansive performances that sometimes topped the 20-minute mark; a four-song May 5 morning studio session at the VARA Studio in Hilversum, where Dolphy and Albert Ayler had also cut unforgettable dates; and two live shots captured during the band’s stand that evening on “Jazz met Jacobs,” a half-hour national NCRV TV show presented from the Go-Go Club in Loosdrecht and hosted by bassist Jacobs’s pianist brother Pim and his wife, singer Rita Reys.

In his essay for the collection, Dutch jazz journalist, producer, and researcher Frank Jochemsen notes that while recordings of the Arnhem show (presented here with carefully restored sound) had been passed hand-to-hand by Dutch jazz buffs over the years, the rest of the music was only recently unearthed.

In 2017, the four stereo tracks from VARA Studio were discovered by Jochemsen, and they were authenticated by Ruud Jacobs and Han Bennink as they were being digitized for the Dutch Jazz Archive (NJA). In 2019, Jochemsen also discovered the audio from the “Jazz met Jacobs” appearance in the Dutch Jazz Archive, along with a unique set of photos shot at the sound check and live broadcast of this lost TV show.

Jochemsen says, “I find it an exciting idea that so much has been recovered and documented from this modest tour and that the music is indeed of such high quality. Even more sensational is the fact that the whole world can listen to it now. The great Sonny Rollins at his best, accompanied by a great rhythm tandem, which makes me, as a Dutchman, extra proud.”

An extensive overview of Rollins’s Holland trek is supplied by jazz journalist Aidan Levy, whose biography of the saxophonist will be published by Da Capo Books. Levy says, “Rollins in Holland is a resounding, still-urgent argument for jazz as a universal art form, transcending time, place and race. This is jazz at its most international and interdependent, with no boundaries or borders.”

Rollins in Holland also includes an in-depth interview by Levy with Han Bennink and Ruud Jacobs, conducted a year before Jacobs’s death from cancer in July 2019. In it, the late bass virtuoso recalled the experience of playing with the American legend as “something spiritual. [There was] a very special atmosphere on the stage where I felt I could do anything.”

The opportunity to bring Rollins’s exceptional Netherlands performances to the public for the first time has proven a special moment for Resonance, Feldman says: “Working with Mr. Rollins has been the experience of a lifetime, and I’m so grateful that he has put his trust in Resonance and our team to bring forth this newly unearthed, previously undocumented chapter in his career.”

Photography: Toon Fey
(at Academie voor Beeldende Kunst, Arnhem, Netherlands; May 3, 1967)

“A major addition to [Rollins’s] discography … These mighty performances, without any explicit political reference in the titles, are linked in form, tone, and ethos to [his 1958] ‘Freedom Suite,’ and extend its stylistic range to the new times.” –Richard Brody, The New Yorker

“Vintage Rollins in a freewheeling setting, playing his heart out.” –Kevin Whitehead, Fresh Air

“****1/2 … A prime period for Sonny. … [This] is two hours of blistering Rollins improvisations.” –Jeff Krow, Audiophile Audition

The photos are not showing up here either.  I'll let my contact know.

Edited by GA Russell

On 25-11-2020 at 9:21 PM, GA Russell said:

I asked my contact why the recordings are not presented in chronological order over the two CDs.  She contacted Zev Feldman, and he responded twice.

"In short, we faced difficulty when programming the Lp sides and we did this so it fit and also still had a good flow. "

and

"The more expansive answer to the question about chronological order is that we wanted to lead off with the newly-discovered, stereo(!) material from VARA Studio 5. Even though it was recorded 2 days after the Arnhem concert, it had the better fidelity and had never been circulated before in bootleg circles.

It made sense then naturally to program the 2 tracks from the Go-Go Club in Loosdrecht on Side B since it was literally recorded on the same day, and was also a new discovery. 

Regarding the Arnhem concert, we chose not to start with "Love Walked In," which was the first song played at the actual concert, because we didn't want to have the same song appear on the first 3 sides of the 3-LP set. We thought it made for a better listening experience to put it on Side E/LP 3. We also didn't include the incomplete tracks (ie, "My One And Only Love," "Old Devil Moon," and "St. Thomas")." 

no, not in chronological order as this nice post from GA Russell explained