• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Did you order direct?

Amazon pre-order.

46 minutes ago, hgweber said:

the loosdrecht is almost a semi-tone flat...

well crap. There is really no excuse for this kind of thing on a professional, legitimate release. None at all.

since there's probably going to be more and more of this type of material coming out, labels like this would be well-served by spending a buck or two on QC - have somebody who has ears and knows keys and timbres and all that take a listen and call out what needs to happen.

Little things mean a lot, hello Kitty Kallen.

A-322300-1541268648-8674.jpeg.jpg

28 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

I don't either. Glad I'm not the only one.

:)

Actually I was referring to Jim's help he's given on speed correction of a cassette recording.

What I never worry about though is when people on Dime say a recording is 5c sharp or flat or some such.  

Still waiting for mine...was supposed to come yesterday.  Regarding the Loosdrecht speed issue, how much should we correct the speed so that it plays accurately?  In Amadeus Pro software, the choices are to adjust pitch (where you enter a number, such as 0.73, with the instruction "Semitones: 1 octave = 12 semitones (tempered scale)") or to adjust speed (where you enter a percentage, such as 104.31%).

Software, i don't know, not right off hand. It just need to be in the right key, whatever you have to do to get that. I think Dan covered it in a previous/recent thread.

With tapes, it usually runs a half off (if it is off) one way or the other, but sometimes, like Rollins/Roach Graz it gets really bizarre.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

Still waiting for mine...was supposed to come yesterday.  Regarding the Loosdrecht speed issue, how much should we correct the speed so that it plays accurately?  In Amadeus Pro software, the choices are to adjust pitch (where you enter a number, such as 0.73, with the instruction "Semitones: 1 octave = 12 semitones (tempered scale)") or to adjust speed (where you enter a percentage, such as 104.31%).

Your software sounds very similar to mine ... for 1/2 a step down (eg, key of F# to key of F) I have set the pitch adjustment to .9438.  A full step down is .8876.  You can use the same differences from 1 if you had to go up a 1/2 step or full step. 

If you use the speed adjustment, equivalent would be 94.38 or 88.76. The results are the same.

And of course if the results are bizarrely wrong, apologies in advance. :)

I got it today along with my new CD player. Spinning now. Since I literally have only listened to one other album on the new player I'm not positive but the sound of Sonny's horn on the studio tracks is very wet probably due to the reverb in the room I would guess. I can't imagine they added it when recording in 67. There are some odd phase shifting on the second track as well during the bass solo. Anyone else notice any of this or should I return to my old transport.

10 hours ago, hgweber said:

the loosdrecht is almost a semi-tone flat...

I don't agree.

It is definitely flat but not by this much. On my software, if 1 is a full semitone, I had the raise the pitch about .3 to bring it into tune. 

Still unfortunate but probably not detectable to anyone who is not playing along with an instrument....

2 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

I got it today along with my new CD player. Spinning now. Since I literally have only listened to one other album on the new player I'm not positive but the sound of Sonny's horn on the studio tracks is very wet probably due to the reverb in the room I would guess. I can't imagine they added it when recording in 67. There are some odd phase shifting on the second track as well during the bass solo. Anyone else notice any of this or should I return to my old transport.

Yes, very wet but it's on the original recording. Can't undo wet.