Mike Westbrook

T.D.

Recently heard my first Westbrook recordings, On Duke's Birthday and Westbrook-Rossini. Greatly enjoyed them and would like to explore more.

Looking for recommendations, preferably of releases with some chance of US availability. Thanks. Didn't see many prior threads on MW.

T.D.,

My favorite Mike Westbrook recordings -- along with the two that you mention above -- are both from the early 70s:  Metropolis and Citadel/Room 315.

Metropolis is readily available on CD in the U.S.  BGO has reissued it. 

Citadel isn't so easy to find, but I would definitely recommend searching for it.   It's worth it!

Just to whet your appetite, here it is on YT:

8 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

Have you heard the new reissue? I’m hoping the sound is at least ok...

Yes, I have the Swedish recording on vinyl. It’s fine but my personal preference is the original studio version in the BGO CD reissue. I prefer the latter to my RCA LP version.

Music-wise all are excellent. I think Surman plays better on the studio version. In fact, it is one of his best performances IMO.

Even 10 years ago the BGO was hard to find. I chanced on a good second hand copy in a shop and even then it wasn’t cheap.

Mike W.’s current Orchestra has been featuring numbers from this title in concerts over the past few years. 

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, I have the Swedish recording on vinyl. It’s fine but my personal preference is the original studio version in the BGO CD reissue. I prefer the latter to my RCA LP version.

Music-wise all are excellent. I think Surman sounds better on the studio version.

Even 10 years ago the BGO was hard to find. I chanced on a good second hand copy in a shop and even then it wasn’t cheap.

Cool. I’ve ordered the CD so fingers crossed. 

15 hours ago, T.D. said:

Recently heard my first Westbrook recordings, On Duke's Birthday and Westbrook-Rossini. Greatly enjoyed them and would like to explore more.

Looking for recommendations, preferably of releases with some chance of US availability. Thanks. Didn't see many prior threads on MW.

Both of those are excellent too. Mike’s site was offering the Hat CD of Rossini (Swiss radio version I think) a while ago for £5, which was a bargain. Both the live version of the Rossini and the radio version are great.

I have ‘On Duke’s Birthday’ on a 2LP set and that is very good too.

Calling resident Westbrook experts Chris-T and Jazzscriven for further pointers....:)

6 minutes ago, David Ayers said:

The recent one. Sampled and ordered via Bandcamp. 

Good move !

This recent archival 2CD release also captures some fine performances in excellent sound and with a good cross-section of his and Kate’s work, including stuff from ‘Citadel’.

mike-westbrook-orchestra-catania.jpg

Edited by sidewinder

13 minutes ago, T.D. said:

Thanks!

Any opinions on this one (or earlier releases of same)? Early (c. 1969), but appears to be something I'd like.

R-10364575-1498254930-7716.jpeg.jpg

A classic of its kind ! Excellent Turtle Records release of the Deram LPs, in good sound. Plus additional tracks !

Edited by sidewinder

Lots of great music in that selection. Enjoy them.

I'm listening to the RCA LP of Citadel now having just listened to the Swedish version and ordered a reissue of Metropolis, all because of your original post so thank you!

Edited by mjazzg

• 1 year later...
On 28/08/2020 at 2:11 PM, sidewinder said:

Both of those are excellent too. Mike’s site was offering the Hat CD of Rossini (Swiss radio version I think) a while ago for £5, which was a bargain. Both the live version of the Rossini and the radio version are great.

I have ‘On Duke’s Birthday’ on a 2LP set and that is very good too.

Calling resident Westbrook experts Chris-T and Jazzscriven for further pointers....:)

Good move !

This recent archival 2CD release also captures some fine performances in excellent sound and with a good cross-section of his and Kate’s work, including stuff from ‘Citadel’.

mike-westbrook-orchestra-catania.jpg

Hiya Bob & all,

Sorry for being late to the party, I haven't been to this forum for a year (terrible workload on the job).

Mike and Kate have posted weekly videos over the past year on therir own website. All are still avaible online. I'm sure you have noticed those and found out what you like.

My favourite among Mike's three solo albums is "Starcross Bridge".

I also recommend Mike's early album LIVE (re-issued on CD a couple of years ago as "LIVE 1972")

Hi Frank !

Thanks for the reminder on the videos. I need to check more of those out. The ‘Starcross’ CD too. I have the LIVE and need to give it another listen.

Hopefully some more SW UK Westbrook gigs in 2022 when things have calmed down a bit. Stay safe !

Edited by sidewinder

1 hour ago, T.D. said:

Thanks for the info. Will check out Starcross Bridge.

I really enjoyed the 3-CD Turtle reissue of Marching Song. Purchased Catania a few months later. Just recently ordered The Cortege, but it hasn't arrived yet.

"The Cortège" indeed another must-have :)

My first live experience of the Westbrook Universe in 1996 near my home town: "Off Abbey Road" :tup

• 4 months later...