A question for all youse guys about CDs

been so busy lately with the book, writing volume 2, recording and composing, etc etc that I feel like I have lost touch with the world of interest-in-jazz and its market (such as it is).

I have a fair amount of CDs I want to sell, good stuff, mostly older jazz and I have no idea if anybody is buying these suckers any more. I ask because I would like to know before I go to all this trouble of collating, listing, etc. if anybody is purchasing anything any more in the time-of-download.

Whaddaya think?

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am still buying jazz CDs but feel I may be one of the last of the dinosaur holdouts.

Over the next 6-12 months I expect to go digital. It's a matter of getting off my ass, doing the research on software, hard drives and DACs (I still want to play stuff through my stereo system), and spending money on same.

I'm not so much into older jazz, however, so probably wouldn't be a big buyer of your listings.

What's "older"? I'm interested in most things pre-1940, and I still buy CDs, simply because a lot of stuff has not made it to download (let alone streaming) yet.

You may also want to check with Michael, since he's been slowly selling a huge collection on this very forum.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Guys like me are fucked.

I always had the impression you were a producer—does that not translate well to downloads/streaming? Or is the issue that you have a catalogue of recordings, but that you cannot sell them in new formats without renegotiating rights? Genuinely curious to learn.

28 minutes ago, lipi said:

What's "older"? I'm interested in most things pre-1940, and I still buy CDs, simply because a lot of stuff has not made it to download (let alone streaming) yet.

You may also want to check with Michael, since he's been slowly selling a huge collection on this very forum.

I always had the impression you were a producer—does that not translate well to downloads/streaming? Or is the issue that you have a catalogue of recordings, but that you cannot sell them in new formats without renegotiating rights? Genuinely curious to learn.

on a private level most of my "audience" - and I use the term loosely - want hard copies, though I use Bandcamp and it has worked well. And since I am currently signed to ESP, I don't have to worry about all of it anymore, which is nice.

My kids (and most Gen Z'ers) are 100% digital.  They can't even conceive of wanting to hold onto a big pile of CDs or LPs.  (Some Gen Y'ers/Millennials are definitely into the vinyl resurgence, which I honestly feel is a silly fad, but Gen Z'ers don't seem to want any part of this.)

I would say over time I have really shifted.  I am now 75% streaming, 20% purchasing downloads and 4% CDs and 1% LPs (in both cases only if there is absolutely no other legitimate way to listen to the music).  I just look at how much stuff I have (and my heirs will end up trashing anyway), and I said to myself - no more.  It's actually quite rare that I listen to a "CD" at all, though at work I listen to the music that I ripped from the CDs that I do own.  (I still have plenty from my collecting days.)

Edited by ejp626

I would use the value of Mosaic CD box sets as a yardstick for the declining value of the medium.  As most of us are aware, at one time there was a vibrant market for OOP Mosaic CD boxes.  Now, you'd b lucky to recoup your initial investment.  When it comes to regular, "run-of-the-mill" CD's, I'd be adopting a something is better than nothing mind set. 

95% CD here in our household, but  I realize I’m in a minority that will be tiny within years (if not already).

Hate downloads, and vinyl is too much of a pain generally speaking (though I’m ok with buying old vinyl... as long as the title has either never been on CD ever, or if it costs more than 4x as much on CD vs. LP). But I’ll gladly pay up to a 3x premium to get something on CD (vs. LP), especially for a title I’m really interested in.

I will stream stuff to sample it, but if I really like it, I’ll always try and track down a CD copy (though it might take me 5+ years before I find some titles I want for a cheap enough price). But I’ll also pay upwards of $20/disc for certain Japanese-only titles, not because I want Japanese masterings - but for titles that have only ever been issued on CD in Japan. Rarely do I ever buy (or rebuy) CD’s based on sonics, and (for instance), in most cases the more recent domestic-RVG reissues have always been “ok enough” for my purposes.

All that said, I Only buy about 35-40 CD’s per year these days, down from what had to be 300/year back 15-20 years ago.

31 minutes ago, kh1958 said:

CDs and LPs for me. Downloads only if I really want it and there is no choice.

Ditto.  Increasingly I listen off streaming services, but still buy CDs and LPs - almost no downloads.  I am not sure why, quite honestly.  Some sort of attachment to the physical product, which of course is still pretty cool with vinyl - and many of the really well done jazz reissues.

I buy CDs and LPs (used). Only time I downloaded something was to burn it to a CD -- this because IIRC that was the only way I could obtain what was on that recording. I've never listened to anything via computer, though I have an up-to-date IMac; my amp/speakers/headphone set up delivers superior sound, which matters to me. When I listen to music, it's not for background purposes; I concentrate on it/pay attention.

Still buy CDs and there is still a market for them.  I also buy LPs, mostly used, at estate sales. Hard to beat $1 or $2 a record. 

If you’re just looking to get rid of them in masse, I’d try someone like Dusty Groove or other record store. You’ll receive less than if you sold them yourself but the advantage is that it will be less of a headache.  If you have no problem selling them yourself you can always use Discog prices as a guide. 

Increasingly downloads for me, simply a matter of space. I buy more LPs than CDs as I like the 'vinyl experience', (yeah yeah I know...). I find it's original LPs or downloads for new releases now (unless it's Monk's 'Palo Alto 😁) I stream a lot, mostly non-Jazz, as low risk discovery and trialling.  Almost exclusively new releases.

As I have bought more downloads I have found CDs less rewarding, exposing the fact that the disc is simply a means of storage. So unless the CD package offers a lot of added value then why not the download? Another realisation alongside this is something I never thought would happen and that's that I don't miss the cover/notes on most CD releases anymore.

Edited by mjazzg

I buy CDs if they are not available on streaming services - and a lot of the stuff I listen to is still not (e.g. EMANEM releases, some classical music labels).

I don't buy second-hand CDs unless they are OOP.   

Edited by Д.Д.

9 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Guys like me are fucked.

How difficult and costly is it to make recordings available digitally through Bandcamp or your own site? Genuinely interested to know.

I would buy Nessa downloads. A good example of how international shipping rate increases have restricted my access to US releases in recent years.

It's a downward spiral, that less and less is being spent on packaging, liner notes etc because there is no money in CD sales anymore. And then there is even less incentive for many people to get the physical product. 

I am mostly streaming and playing LPs these days. I only play/buy music on CD that is not available in any other format, with the rare exception of Japanese CD reissues of material which has never been reissued before, and for which I might want a backup copy to save the vinyl from some wear.