Bill Evans „Live at Ronnie Scott’s“ from July 1968

soulpope

Anmerkung-2020-09-02-161553.jpg

Mr. Feldman via Facebook .... :

NEVER BEFORE HEARD BILL EVANS for RSD BLACK FRIDAY! Coming Nov 27 for
Record Store Day;
Black Friday, I’m beside myself with excitement to announce THE Bill Evans recording I get asked about the most – Bill Evans „Live at Ronnie Scott’s“ from July of 1968 with
Eddie Gomez
and
Jack DeJohnette
I’m proud to say this is the 5th official Bill Evans release in partnership with the Bill Evans Estate, and 3rd release with this particular trio. I’m especially thankful to share a producer credit on this release with master drummer/pianist/composer Jack DeJohnette. These tapes come from Jack’s personal archives. I had the good fortune to have made trips to Jack and Lydia’s home in Upstate New York (their godson Matthew Garrison, bassist and son of Jimmy Garrison, was also there) starting in 2018, during which time we discovered that we were not hearing all the channels upon our initial listen to the recordings, and what we thought was unusable was actually quite good and needed to be released.
The trio’s tour de force performance at the Montreux Jazz Festival, their lost studio session from the Black Forest at MPS Studios in Germany (issued by Resonance as „Some Other Time“ in 2016), and their performance at VARA Studio in Hilversum, the Netherlands (also issued by Resonance as „Another Time“ in 2017), so they really hit their stride on these recordings in the comfortable and intimate setting of Ronnie Scott’s in London.
You likely noticed the startling illustration of Bill Evans on the cover of this album, and it’s a dream come true for me to say that this is from a one-of-a-kind lithograph by the legendary David Stone Martin, who is a personal hero to me and one of my biggest inspirations in the arts. The drawing was commissioned by my friend, the great photo archivist Cynthia Sesso of CTSIMAGES, and our illustrious designer John Sellards was able to brilliantly follow my vision of paying homage to the iconic DSM Verve/Clef/Norgran covers of the 1940s and ’50s. I also received the blessing and support of DSM’s son, Tony Martin, and his wife, Margot Farrington. There’s a whole stand alone essay in the booklet talking about DSM and this amazing piece of art.
As usual, this deluxe Resonance package comes replete with an extensive booklet featuring never-before-published photos of Bill, Eddie and Jack by photographer Francois Jacquenod, along with rare images by Chuck Stewart and Jan Persson. The main historical essay is by the esteemed British jazz author Brian Priestly, who actually witnessed these performances live in 1968 and wrote about the experience in Jazz Monthly. We captured a riveting conversation between Jack DeJohnette and Chick Corea, and we have a new interview I conducted with Eddie Gomez. Lastly, in 2017 I had the pleasure of interviewing comedy icon Chevy Chase in his home in upstate New York. We just made a short video at the time, but are now including an expanded version of the wide-ranging interview in this booklet.
The limited-edition 180g 2LP set was mastered by Bernie Grundman, cut at 33 1/3 RMP and pressed at RTI, with meticulous audio restoration performed at Resonance Records Studios by George Klabin and Fran Gala. (CD/Digital edition out Dec 4)

Nice. And while I like the cover art, to me it resembles Brubeck more than Evans but maybe my perspective is askew. Either way, the prior recordings of this trio from Resonance are enjoyable (in that I didn't notice any rushing). Perhaps DeJohnette had a similar effect on Evans' playing as Manne, and kept things on track...? 

3 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Chevy Chase? :huh:

That does jump out as “one of these things is not like the others” in a rather head-scratching way. Perhaps Chase is a big Bill Evans fan? 🤷 Odd, but still glad that this is coming out... fresh fuel for the Bill Evans Wars! 😄 (Or not—methinks it’s played out here and we’ve all gone home to our families and jobs and everyday lives. ✌️) Here’s the link to Resonance’s release page:

Bill Evans: Live At Ronnie Scott’s 1968

I found "Live at Ronnie Scott's" quite interesting, though I can't say I loved it. Can't recall all the many thoughts I had about it while listening to it fairly intensely a few weeks ago, but it was interesting perhaps in the way an X-Ray or an MRI of a man with a incipient but not yet wholly manifest fatal disease might be to a curious medical student.

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

That does jump out as “one of these things is not like the others” in a rather head-scratching way. Perhaps Chase is a big Bill Evans fan? 🤷 Odd, but still glad that this is coming out... fresh fuel for the Bill Evans Wars! 😄 (Or not—methinks it’s played out here and we’ve all gone home to our families and jobs and everyday lives. ✌️) Here’s the link to Resonance’s release page:

Bill Evans: Live At Ronnie Scott’s 1968

him and Blythe Danner were/are jazz fans. They used to incorporate scatting Billie's Bounce in one of their bits. I think he did it on his own before she joined him.

a bit of extreme arcana there....