The Franchise RIP

Brad

Sad, sad, sad. I remember my sixth-grade teacher was a big sports fan and let us watch the 1969 World Series during class time (the ancient days where the games were all day games). Classy and great player, saw him win a 1-0 game against the Padres, and the Padres never had a chance. Too bad he wasn't able to make the 50th anniversary of that 1969 team. RIP

2 hours ago, Matthew said:

New York Mets Tom Seaver Sports Illustrated Cover by Sports Illustrated

Mets' Midnight Massacre trade of Tom Seaver still painfully unforgettable  40 years later - New York Daily News

As a Padres fan back then, thanks a lot Mets!

That set the team back for several years, and then when they got him back they left him unprotected. Considering that he won 31 games in 84 and 85, that move may have cost them two appearances in the World Series. 

10 hours ago, Dave James said:

Lewy Body Dementia...the same thing that contributed to Robin Williams' passing.

True. Terrible disease. Unfortunately, Seaver also contracted COVID-19, which moved up his date of death.

I remember going to see him pitch in his last season with the Red Sox. It may even have been opening day. I still wonder if the Red Sox might have beaten the Mets in that World Series if Seaver's knee had recovered. He seemed to rise to the occasion.

1 hour ago, bresna said:

I remember going to see him pitch in his last season with the Red Sox. It may even have been opening day. I still wonder if the Red Sox might have beaten the Mets in that World Series if Seaver's knee had recovered. He seemed to rise to the occasion.

Seaver was traded to the Red Sox on June 29 1986.  He retired before opening day 1987. There was only one 1/2 season with the Sox.

That trade was for Steve Lyons, who famously said "sometimes you just have to change your sox" when he was informed of the trade.

Lyons was also famous for this moment: