George Coleman In Baltimore 1971 (Left Bank) out Nov 27/Dec 11

ghost of miles

Speaking of George Coleman... a live 1971 recording from the Left Bank (with Albert Dailey on piano!) coming our way later this year, according to Zev Feldman’s Facebook page:

GEORGE COLEMAN on REEL TO REAL for RSD BLACK FRIDAY! I'm happy to announce that my archival jazz cohort Cory Weeds and I are back with another previously-unissued discovery coming for Record Store Day Black Friday Nov 27 (CD/Digital Dec 11). The George Coleman Quintet "In Baltimore" was captured live at the Famous Ballroom on May 23, 1971, presented by the Left Bank Jazz Society, and featured a stellar band with trumpeter Danny Moore, pianist Albert Dailey, bassist Larry Ridley and drummer Harold White. The limited-edition 180g LP includes an elaborate insert with beautiful photos by Francis Wolff, intros by Cory and I, a main overview essay by the great jazz historian/archivist (and producing mentor to me) Michael Cuscuna, plus interviews with "the Big G" himself George Coleman, John Fowler from the Left Bank, and the self-described Colelman disciple, tenor man Eric Alexander. Audio restoration direct from the original tapes by Chris Gestrin, LP mastering by Kevin Gray at Cohearent Audio, LLC, and pressed at Standard Vinyl in Toronto. 

This marks the 2nd RTR release from the Left Bank archives, the first being Etta Jones "A Soulful Sunday" featuring the Cedar Walton Trio, and it's especially significant because it's also the first known recording of George Coleman as a leader (a good six years before his first studio album as a leader from 1977). As Michael Cuscuna says, "This concert is a rare early glimpse at George Coleman in charge and, as always, playing magnificently.”

I want to thank Cory, first and foremost, for all his hard work and passion bringing this project into fruition. A big thanks also to my friend John Fowler who oversees the Left Bank Jazz Society tape archives. These releases also wouldn't be possible without the support of Michael Kurtz and Carrie Colliton at Record Store Day. And last, but not least, thanks to the archival design guru John Sellards, for creating yet another gorgeous cover and package that's sure to have jazz fans transfixed for years to come.

For media inquiries, please contact:
DL Media · 267-541-2784
Maureen McFadden · maureen@dlmediamusic.com
Don Lucoff · don@dlmediamusic.com

Visit cellarlive.com and recordstoreday.com for more info.

Edited by ghost of miles

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CD scheduled for December 11.

From Cellarlive:

"Feldman, who selected the ’71 Famous Ballroom set from a trove of Left Bank recordings ..." so I guess we can hope for once a year Left Bank releases? And maybe BN artists go to BN and the rest are Reel to Real?

Sound samples too: https://cellarlive.com/products/pre-order-george-coleman-quintet-in-baltimore

Nice BN-inspired cover but that blue font is very hard to read, IMO.

Annotation 2020-09-03 105156.jpg

Where (else) would one hear trumpeter Danny Moore in a small(er) group context?  A cursory glance through discogs, it appears I have about 8-10 records with him - all larger groups though (several by Thad & Mel, but Tolliver's big band, and a great Lonnie Smith date (Mama Wailer) - but he doesn't get any solos there -- or at least not that I remember, and discogs doesn't seem to think he had any solos on that date either).

https://www.discogs.com/artist/346651-Danny-Moore

Might this be a rare chance (at least on record now) to hear Donny Moore in a two-horn front line?  About the earliest album I can find (on discogs) where he gets to be out-front more, seems to maybe be this Fank Strozier date from 1977 on Steeplechase (the whole album is up on YouTube, this is just the first track where Moore gets a pretty hot solo - around 1:35).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Check the sound samples at cellarlive. Sound appears to be excellent.

Thanks!  From the repertoire, appears to be a pickup group, but quite a fine one!  And it's not like Danny Moore and Albert Dailey small group dates grow on trees!

2 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

Re: Danny Moore. He also gets solo space with tje George Coleman's Octet on "Big George," which a tremendous record. 

I remember seeing Moore with  Coleman in that lineup, back in 1979/80. Strozier was also in there.

Reel to Real on a roll at present, after their Neil Swainson reissue.

Edited by sidewinder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 2:15 AM, bertrand said:

Feldman has access to many tapes, as he himself explains in the liner notes to the Etta Jones CD. I wish these would come out more frequently.

Would be great if this tape exists in issue-worthy condition, especially since we know he digs Grant:

6 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Would be great if this tape exists in issue-worthy condition, especially since we know he digs Grant.

And since we know he digs Larry Young, perhaps he might also recognize the importance of John Patton?

Though Grant would clearly have to be the “name” factor necessary to motivate enough sales.

The Grant Green tape was purchased by Sunenblick at Uptown. I kept telling him to put it out, but there was no talking to the guy.

Now he is dead. There are rumors that his son is interested in finishing some of the projects, but I have no idea how that is coming along.

Uptown purchased approximately 20 concerts. I know there was the Grant, three Duke Pearson concerts and the Blue Mitchell that came out. The Pearson that came out was half a concert. Sunenblick did not like the other half. He never even listened to the other two.

Don't know what the other 15 were and only the son can put some coherence into what will happen to the remainders. Hopefully, he will enlist help from people who can help if he is serious about finishing his father's work. The Dodo Marmarosa release was a hopeful sign.

He may have had the Lucky Thompson/Sonny Stitt from 1974. It would be Lucky's last recording. See Noal Cohen's discography. John Fowler, the member who has a fair amount of tapes, said there was a tape which is now AWOL. This suggests either Sunenblick had it, or Dorn. A number of tapes Dorn had are missing, including a number of Lee Morgan tapes. Another mystery. I contacted Dorn's son, who assured me all tapes had been sent back per the contract. They were sent back before Dorn's sudden death.

According to the notes in the Etta Jones CD, Zev Feldman has access to all of Fowler's tapes. According to a press release, Blue Note was going to put some of these out if it was one of their artists. Nothing yet, the 80th anniversary is over.

I am surprised no one is asking what will happen to the tapes Blue Note chooses not to release. How and when do we get to hear them? This has been doing on for years. Loyola University in Baltimore had made an arrangement which would have resulted in some archiving system, possibly including public auditioning options for researchers, but Left Bank got cold feet and pulled out. All we got out of this was the Walter Namuth/Mickey Fields CD.

This project has never come to anything coherent, because the record industry and researchers have goals that are polar opposites. I have some ideas as to how to make everyone happy, but I doubt anyone will listen to me. Of course some funding is needed, but that should not be a deal breaker.

Edited by bertrand

• 1 month later...