George Coleman In Baltimore 1971 (Left Bank) out Nov 27/Dec 11

ghost of miles

9 hours ago, bertrand said:

Sickler made a stink about the Clifford Brown Aebersold book and had it pulled, from what I heard. I am not sure what the issue was. I doubt that was a best-seller.

There is ( or was?) a market for those things amongst their target market. So, yeah, there was money being made.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure what the issue was. All I know was that I went to the Clifford Brown conference in Philly a few years ago and sat with Sickler and Brownie Jr. at a lunch and they were boasting about how they had had it pulled. It seemed they were suggesting Aebersold was some sort of cloak and dagger bootlegger which was absurd, he is  well-respected educator with years of experience and an NEA Jazz Master to boot. Yes, maybe someone in his office effed up some paperwork, but there was no malice intended. I find it hard to believe the issue could not have been resolved with a check and some updated agreement. Whatever.

PS: There have been some questionable Brownie composer attributions over the years. Just sayin'...

Edited by bertrand

I went to an Aebersold clinic in 1979(?), and there was a lot of "for educational purposes only" items being sold on a cash-only basis. A lot.

Having said that, I get that it takes cash for an operation such as that to stay afloat. Still, yeah, "a check and some updated agreement" would not have been out of place, I would think. Just the cost of doing business, and make no mistake, that was/is a business.

14 hours ago, bertrand said:

Sickler made a stink about the Clifford Brown Aebersold book and had it pulled, from what I heard. I am not sure what the issue was. I doubt that was a best-seller.

Perhaps he had a lawyer send a cease and desist letter. 

Finally listened to this, I would give it 3 or 3 1/2 stars, and the reason being that the performance of Body & Soul was a major turn-off. Saxophone gymnastics on a ballad ain't my thing, and I'll always say this: circular breathing on a ballad is a contradiction in terms.

I've never enjoyed ballads that don't stay as ballads.  I mean what story is being told? That at least one in the couple is a manic-depressive? 

Bottom line, I like, but don't love Big George, and he played as well as I'd expected. His colleagues definitely helped on the rating. Call it 4 stars, reduced by 1 star for the "ballad" feature, adding 1/2 star for pianist and trumpeter = 3 1/2 stars.

A lot more logical than downbeat. I give it 3.5 stars also, but my rating system is more random.

There seems to be a fade-in on the first tune. Does this mean there were tape issues? Were they only able to salvage 46 minutes? Big G seems to suggest in the notes that they selected the best takes...

Or maybe they took out the intro because there was no room on the vinyl :)

Edited by bertrand

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, bertrand said:

Vic Zeldman? LOL.

He was not involved in Both Directions At Once, was he?

15 tapes in play? Hmmm...

I can't listen but 15 tapes under consideration for issuance? All Cory/Zev or BN or what? That would be my follow up, especially since if anything is under consideration for BN you have an idea of who was under contract in that era. But 15 tapes, that's something to give hope that there are some gems coming this decade.

No specifics were given, and I think it was pre-recorded, so no Q & A.

200 tapes were also mentioned. I have heard so many different numbers thrown around regarding how many concerts were actually recorded among the 1,000 or so they programmed. I don't think they know for sure, nor does Vic Zeldman the detective.

This will be a monthly series on WEAA apparently, it might be archived. My guess is George Coleman will be next. Not sure about future weeks, I guess they could talk about the two Uptown sets...