BFT 197 REVEAL

eklaxton

Sorry this is late everyone! I just became a student (officially) for the first time in a decade and misplaced my responsibilities here. Thanks for all the participation. This was fun. I hope to continue to engage with all of you as we hear more music together! 

If I don’t provide enough info on a recording, feel free to ask me about it.

1. Sir Roland Hanna- In My Solitude

2. Nicholas Payton w/Doc Cheatham- Dinah

3. Melissa Aldana- Ask Me Now

4. Ben Webster- Single Petal Of A Rose

5. Roy Hargrove- Valse Hot (from tenors of our time. First tenor soloist is Branford Marsalis while the second is Ron Blake)

6. Joe Lovano- Donna Lee (from Bird Songs... there are two drummers here: Otis Brown III and Francisco Mela)

7. Joe Henderson- Power to the People (titular track from the record. Herbie on keys! Jack DeJohnette crushing the drums)

8. Jerry Bergonzi- In Your Own Sweet Way

9. Bill Frisell- Shenandoah 

10. Joe Martin- Semente (this record is called “Not By Chance” and the personnel is Chris Potter, Brad Mehldau, Marcus Gilmore (drums), Joe Martin (bass). Marcus is one of my all time favorite drummers.

11. Ben Allison- Fred (from the record Think Free)

12. George Garzone- Plaka (George is a hero of mine. He’s oft found exploring sound freely with the Fringe, but this tune is beautiful and I can’t resist feeling alright while it’s on.)

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't get a chance to listen and respond in the discussion thread but I was finally able to listen to these. Enjoyed them. I actually knew that Ben Webster was playing as well as picking the album, but not the actual song title. I love See You At the Fair. One of my first ever jazz album buys and still one of my favorites. The back half track selection flowed very well. The last tune was a groover and I picked up various influences within it. Great stuff, thanks for putting it together!