LF- Masada CDs

I’ve dabbled with Zorn for a while. I recently got Alef and I’m now interested in getting the rest of the titles by the original group. So I’m wondering if anyone is interested in selling small lots or individual titles. I know they’re all on Discogs, but I thought that I’d float it here. Thanks in advance.

Studio Recordings

Edited by greggery peccary

Tempting. I have the entire set, except for the last 2005 issue of (then) previously unreleased recordings.

I wouldn’t want to part with all of them, but perhaps if I could keep just the first 3 volumes - that might make some sense (so logically, I’d want to part with vols. 4-10, a total of 7 CD’s).

I might try and drive a semi-hard bargain (price-wise), but *NOT* a penny for myself -- and I’d ask that payment be given in full to the upkeep, maintenance and feeding of this board (as a direct contribution to Jim, to pay for his yearly costs of maintaining the Big O board). And I’d pay all the shipping costs out of my own pocket.

Not 100% if I’m sure if I want to part with any of them, but lord knows I need to downsize my collection.

Note: Vol. 4 is a shorter CD, about 20 minutes (iirc), which was a “bonus” volume that buyers could somehow buy at a discount with proof of purchase of all of the first 3 volumes (or something like that - I bought mine used, not via whatever that special offer was).

Might take me a week to decide.

I bought them all piecemeal over a few years, at least half of them used copies, all in great condition (but I’d need to look through them all to confirm).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm looking to amass the entire set so if you choose to part with 4-10 I'm well on my way along with having recently obtained Alef. 

Take your time and let me know what you decide. I'd be happy to make a contribution to the board's upkeep costs. I could also offer up some trade bait, but if you're looking to downsize that rather defeats the purpose...

Thank you.

James

12 hours ago, greggery peccary said:

I could also offer up some trade bait, but if you're looking to downsize that rather defeats the purpose...

Feel free to temp me! You never know what I might find too good to pass up. :P

If it’s any simpler, rather than typing up a big list, we could also chat by phone - if that’s less trouble. But let me decide for sure that I want to part with 4-10. I’ll probably go that way, but I ought to spin them all to be sure.

I don’t load stuff on to hard drives, or burn CD’s - so I just need to be sure that 1-3 are enough to satiate my ongoing listening.

23 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Feel free to temp me! You never know what I might find too good to pass up. :P

It turns out that I have less to trade than I thought...only because when confronted with the notion of parting with something my compulsion to collect and be a completist kicked in and suddenly I wasn't so sure that I could get rid of much, I too have passed a point of reasonably accommodating music and have in the past year or two taken to strategically stacking larger sets and jewel case sized box sets so as to make room for individual CD titles on my music walls.

That said, listen and let me know. My interest in acquiring these early Zorn titles remains.

Thank you.

I’ll try and spin all 7 discs over the next week or two, and come to a decision. They came out in sets of 3 (with vol 4 being the odd man out).

The packaging/graphics/spines, while all sympathetic across the entire series - also has some visual clues that ‘group’ 1-4, then 5-7, and finally 8-10. It’s a lovely design concept.

THUS, I could keep just 1-3, and it’d still be a “complete” subset of the entire set. (Whew!! :P )

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I’ll try and spin all 7 discs over the next week or two, and come to a decision. They came out in sets of 3 (with vol 4 being the odd man out).

The packaging/graphics/spines, while all sympathetic across the entire series - also has some visual clues that ‘group’ 1-4, then 5-7, and finally 8-10. It’s a lovely design concept.

THUS, I could keep just 1-3, and it’d still be a “complete” subset of the entire set. (Whew!! :P )

:tup

I listened to vols 4 & 5 last night, and my wife said she’d pay whatever your demands are, as long as you agree to take ALL of them. :g

Not every track gave her the heeby-jeebies, but certainly the more out-leaning ones caused her to give me that look that said “how much more of this do I have to endure?!”.

After the second disc got done, I proclaimed “only 5 hours left to go!”. That didn’t go over too well either. :P

6 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I listened to vols 4 & 5 last night, and my wife said she’d pay whatever your demands are, as long as you agree to take ALL of them. :g

Not every track gave her the heeby-jeebies, but certainly the more out-leaning ones caused her to give me that look that said “how much more of this do I have to endure?!”.

After the second disc got done, I proclaimed “only 5 hours left to go!”. That didn’t go over too well either. :P

:lol::D

I'm also toying with the idea of letting go of vols 2-3 too (in addition to 4-10).

Probably less likely than me just parting with 4-10... BUT... since you've already got Alef (and that's the only one you have), there'd be some logic in that (i.e. you could scoop up the entire rest of the set all at once).  Also, I'm seeing (had forgotten) that I got Dave Douglas to sign my copy of Alef (one of the very first concerts I saw in Lawrence, KS - soon after I moved to Kansas City (around 1995) -- so all the better synergy in terms of me parting with all of them but that one volume.

I'll look through them all super carefully, but now I'm wondering if I actually bought all of these brand new (:huh:), since every one thus far seems to have its Obi, and I'm not seeing even one trace of a "used" price-tag I would have peeled off the jewel-box (usually leaving behind at least a trace of smudging).  Don't hold me to this yet, but I think every one of these is mint (or mint-minus) - and the jewel boxes look pristine.  (I'm as shocked as anyone at that.)

I should be able to listen to all of them between today and Friday (while my wife is working in the office two days this week).  Anyway, just an update as to where I'm at in my thinking.

Same deal - whatever price we agree to, it can all go directly to Jim towards keeping this board up and running.  I'm out of work, and not in a position to donate - and I'd been a little derelict in not donating as much as I probably should have the last few years - so this is another way for me to give back.

I see you posting in the Fleetwood Mac thread. I ordered the box set as well. But I also have the original classics package which includes five of the albums on the set.

Fleetwood Mac Original Album Series

Once my new set arrives, I'd be willing to offer this to you. I doubled up to get the Bob Welch records, which by themselves are pricey.

Just a thought. Thanks for keeping me in the loop too. I appreciate it.

Thanks, but one of my bigger interests in the early FM material is hearing/having all of Christine McVie’s pre-1975 lead-vocal tracks (or most all of them), plus she presumably singles a few (at least a couple?) on the live concert bonus disc from the 8CD set. It’s not an “imperative”, but if I’m gonna get some of this material, I really ought not to leave any behind.

I’m seeing the 5-disc OAS set omits 2(?) of the later FM albums with Christine McVie, so I’m pretty sure I’d eventually want them too. And no idea if she’s prominently on any of the bonus tracks too (and again, and extra concert disc is a bonus too).

(But thanks!!)

BTW, I’m 90% sure I do want to part with vols. 4–10 of the Masada discs. So what I need to do is focus on vols. 2-3, and really spin them 2 or 3 times each, and see if I really want to part with them too (which I might - could go either way).

No need to try and convince me it’s ok if I keep 2-3. It really may be that I’m totally fine just keeping Alef only (and might not miss 2-3 at all).

I hadn’t spun any of them in years, I’m realizing, and I’m sure when I did, I probably usually started with vol 1 - so that might be the one with the tunes I know best anyway.

Part of me would love to set you up with all of the 9 volumes that you’re missing, so we’ll just have to see.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

Hi- Just checking in to see if a determination has been made.

Thanks!

On 9/10/2020 at 9:47 AM, Rooster_Ties said:

BTW, I’m 90% sure I do want to part with vols. 4–10 of the Masada discs. So what I need to do is focus on vols. 2-3, and really spin them 2 or 3 times each, and see if I really want to part with them too (which I might - could go either way).

No need to try and convince me it’s ok if I keep 2-3. It really may be that I’m totally fine just keeping Alef only (and might not miss 2-3 at all).

I hadn’t spun any of them in years, I’m realizing, and I’m sure when I did, I probably usually started with vol 1 - so that might be the one with the tunes I know best anyway.

Part of me would love to set you up with all of the 9 volumes that you’re missing, so we’ll just have to see.

Hi. Just checking in...

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, greggery peccary said:

Hi- Just checking in to see if a determination has been made.

Thanks!

Hi. Just checking in...

Thanks!

Hi GP. I’m now 100% sure I can part with vols 4-10 (no doubts).

And I’m ~90% sure I do also want to part with vols 2-3, but I want to spin them one more time this weekend, to be sure.

A bit of is this material is really (a bit) more ‘out’ than I really will listen to all that often. (And keeping vol 1 should be plenty.)

I’ll try and let you know for sure (about 2 & 3) by Monday.

48 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Hi GP. I’m now 100% sure I can part with vols 4-10 (no doubts).

And I’m ~90% sure I do also want to part with vols 2-3, but I want to spin them one more time this weekend, to be sure.

A bit of is this material is really (a bit) more ‘out’ than I really will listen to all that often. (And keeping vol 1 should be plenty.)

I’ll try and let you know for sure (about 2 & 3) by Monday.

Thanks for the update.

James

Ok, sorry for my delay getting back to you. Vols 2-10 are all yours. I need to try and replace one of the clear cd trays (for vol 10), as one of the spindles is bent / has half broken off - but I’m sure I can cannibalize a good clear one from another CD case.

I also need to systematically look at all the disc surfaces to let you know condition, but of those I glanced at, they were all pretty pristine. And I think(?) they all have their obi’s too, but another thing I need to confirm.

Edited by Rooster_Ties