Gary Peacock R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

Image may contain: 3 people, beard and indoor
Jack DeJohnetteLike Page
58m
Gary Peacock.
It is with deep sadness that we mourn the passing of the great Gary Peacock. I had the good fortune to have spent over 30 years playing some amazing music with him both separately and the Trio with Keith Jarrett. Gary had a great sound, feel and highly creative imagination. It was Garys album on ECM, Tales of Another that brought us together, after that we decided to stay playing together, and the rest is history. I have a lot of love and gratitude for what he has contributed to the music we call Jazz. Lydia and I send our deepest love to the Peacock family you are in our hearts always.

I'm sorry to hear this.  I caught Keith Jarrett's Standards Trio at what I think was their penultimate concert before they disbanded.  It was the only time I saw Gary Peacock perform.  He was represented well in the mix and I gained a greater appreciation for how much he added to the group, as he did to so many groups.

Thank you for the music, Mr. Peacock, and rest in peace.

What's the source for the report being false or a hoax, which Annette Peacock is tweeting as well?  Hopefully not mediamass.net.  (And hopefully he's still with us--seems odd that Jack DeJohnette would be taken in, though.)

EDIT:  I don't see any tweet about Gary Peacock on DeJohnette's recent Twitter feed--so if it was posted there originally, he's deleted it.

Edited by ghost of miles

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

What's the source for the report being false or a hoax, which Annette Peacock is tweeting as well?  Hopefully not mediamass.net.  (And hopefully he's still with us--seems odd that Jack DeJohnette would be taken in, though.)

EDIT:  I don't see any tweet about Gary Peacock on DeJohnette's recent Twitter feed--so if it was posted there originally, he's deleted it.

Correct; what I posted above (from DeJohnette's FB page) is no longer there.  Very odd.  If it is a hoax, I cannot imagine the motivation of the hoaxers.

2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I'm more inclined to believe the report of a hoax is, in fact, the real hoax.  The article you linked is published by Mediamass, a parody news site. The second clue? The author of the piece is Jessica Simpson?!?

9 minutes ago, sonnymax said:

I'm more inclined to believe the report of a hoax is, in fact, the real hoax.  The article you linked is published by Mediamass, a parody news site. The second clue? The author of the piece is Jessica Simpson?!?

That may well be, but in either case let's celebrate all the great music he's been involved in thru the years...and I've started a thread to do just that:  

Edited by danasgoodstuff

4 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

I see this stating it’s a hoax. 
https://en.mediamass.net/people/gary-peacock/deathhoax.html

That’s a nonsense site that I saw posted twice(!) on the reddit jazz sub, less than an hour after I first saw Jack D’s FB page link posted here.

https://en.mediamass.net/people/herbie-hancock/deathhoax.html

https://en.mediamass.net/people/bill-clinton/deathhoax.html

https://en.mediamass.net/people/taylor-swift/deathhoax.html

Doesn’t work for quite every name I’ve tried, but when you change the name in the URL, the website builds the page from scratch from that, including the phony magazine cover.

Edited by Rooster_Ties