Gary Peacock R.I.P.

Mark Stryker

Was he living alone in a secluded cabin with no phone access?

If he did pass away, someone other than him reported the death. Who is that person?

If he is alive, could he not be reachable? The fact that Jack deleted the post is odd. Did they have a fight about this?

The fact that it is taking so long to confirm or prove wrong is very odd for the internet age.

Edited by bertrand

The reason I thought it was legit is that Jack posted this on FB on August 18:

How great, two of my favorite bass players ‪in one week‬. We visited with Gary Peacock and his great family, always good to see everyone. 

#jazz #drums #drummer #jazzdrums #jackdejohnette #socialdistancing#garypeacock #bass #bassplayers

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

5 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Chuck, be aware that website is pure bullshit.

Anyone can plug quite a number of names into the URL, and it will generate a dynamic webpage - complete with a fake magazine cover - for the person you provide. Upthread I gave links with Herbie Hancock, Bill Clinton, and Taylor Swift, all with the same boilerplate text, and only the name and headline changed (and fake magazine cover).  Here’s Tiger Woods...

https://en.mediamass.net/people/tiger-woods/deathhoax.html

Yesterday, less than an hour after Jack D’s Facebook post was reported in the r/jazz subreddit, I saw two(!) different posts with this same BS website with Gary Peacock’s name plugged in, one in another RIP thread, and the second one was in a bare post of it’s own (a separate thread), both from the same user. I reported both as “misinformation”, and replied to both pointing out the spurious nature of the website.

Here’s one where I plugged in Celine Dion into the URL:

https://en.mediamass.net/people/celine-dion/deathhoax.html

Citing it means nothing.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

21 minutes ago, JSngry said:

When I die, I hope that the people around me notice that I am dead.

I hope that when I die - or will be dying, as is possibly the case of Mr. Peacock, - those around me won't feel obligated to post the status of my condition online.     

With official confirmation, I've once again added R.I.P. to the thread title. I note that the obituary says the family confirmed a Friday death, which means that Jack DeJohnette's initial posting was not wrong -- but suggests he was probably out in front of the family's wishes and that is what caused the confusion.  

Edited by Mark Stryker

9 hours ago, mikeweil said:

R.I.P.

I like his playing, but not Jarrett's, that's why I did not listen to his later recordings.

Did you know the earliest documented recordings of Peacock were made in Germany in 1957? His first US studio session was with Bud Shank and Laurindo Almeida in California.

That makes a 60+ recording career. Outstanding!

R.I.P.

RIP, what a crazy situation.  I can understand the family not taking the time to make an announcement immediately but it did seem take longer than normal to get,out.  I still haven’t seen an obit. in the NYT or WAPO.  

I got to see him a few times with Jarrett and DeJohnette but my favorite performance was when he came out to the SF Jazz Festival to sub for an ailing Charlie Haden to play a duo set with Yusef Latif.