Grandfathering success!

felser

My two year old grandson asked me this morning to play Hank Mobley's "No Room For Squares" for him!  Have been trying playing him different types of music, played that one a few weeks ago, and obviously it stuck!  He also likes the Kind of Blue version of "So What" (asks for it from time to time), and, in the non-jazz universe he likes and has asked for the Go-Go's "We Got The Beat" (his all-time favorite), Strawberry Alarm Clock "Tomorrow", Buckinghams "Susan", Sister Sledge "We Are Family", A Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie", and Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat Song".  And the one I will need to forgive my wife for introducing, Nilsson's "Coconut".   

4 hours ago, felser said:

My two year old grandson asked me this morning to play Hank Mobley's "No Room For Squares" for him!  Have been trying playing him different types of music, played that one a few weeks ago, and obviously it stuck!  He also likes the Kind of Blue version of "So What" (asks for it from time to time), and, in the non-jazz universe he likes and has asked for the Go-Go's "We Got The Beat" (his all-time favorite), Strawberry Alarm Clock "Tomorrow", Buckinghams "Susan", Sister Sledge "We Are Family", A Taste of Honey's "Boogie Oogie Oogie", and Harry Belafonte's "Banana Boat Song".  And the one I will need to forgive my wife for introducing, Nilsson's "Coconut".   

Can we safely assume that the end game involves Alice Cooper?

Good job Felser! You can never start too early with that :) the first tunes my son hear was Coltrane’s Giant Steps. He was only a day old then. He’s almost two years old now but cannot quite tell what he likes. He surely does not dislike it. In fact, playing Coltrane’s Ascent from the Sun Ship album makes him tap his hands on his knees!

18 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Geez I didn't speak until I was 4 and this kid is asking for specific Mobley.

Anyway well done, Gramps.

This kid talks more than I do, and in longer sentences.  He only knows song names of what he likes, can't tell you the artists.

Nice work!  Here's how I lost my older son's trust in my musical guidance:  as his sixth grade year drew to a conclusion, there was a talent show and he was very interested in my coming to see him perform "The Times They Are A'Changin.""  Of course, I knew he was talented and gladly took a day to come and see him and his classmates perform.  His time came and he performed that song very nicely remembering all the words and so forth.  His teachers and I were tremendously impressed...and here's where the story goes wrong.  Although the response of his peers was mutedly appreciative, the reaction was absolutely thuderous for two different (male) students who "danced" to Holla Back Girl.  

This was the very moment that he quit entertaining my musical suggestions for him.  

I can't say I blame him.