Gary Peacock, yay!

danasgoodstuff

Since he's apparently still with us, let's take this opportunity to celebrate all the fine music he's been involved with.  At the moment I'm listening to Don Pullen's New Beginnings which was a bit of a reunion for Peacock and Tony Williams, but still very much Pullen's record since he wrote all of it and his signature piano moves are all over it.  Does anyone know what's up with the timings shown for the 6 tunes on al configurations being all so wildly off/short?  Anyway, Gary and tony sound great together here to my ears.

2 hours ago, John L said:

So he is alive?  Thank God!

DeJohnette took down his statement and Wiki went back to treating him as alive - no now I just checked and the've gone back to saying he died, so it appears to be at least an open question.  The site claiming it was a hoax is a joke site, but maybe they were in on it?  In any case, let's just talk about his playing here.

16 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

Some of my favorite Peacock is on Tony Williams’s SPRING.

Yes, it's an extraordinary album.  Was Rivers with Miles when Gary spent a couple of months as a sub in the spring of '64?

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Albert Ayler/Gary Peacock/Sunny Murray, Spiritual Unity

Gary did many wonderful things with many wonderful people, but surely this is an apex, if not the one and only, what he'll be best remembered for.  As challenging as Ayler was to Western norms, surely the bigger challenge for a bass player was 'what do I do if the drummer isn't playing time (at least not in a conventional way)?'  Do I work extra hard to nail down the time or go with the flow?  Albert worked with some other fine bassists, but I don't know that any of them got him any better, at least not this stage - the later bands with Donald are a very different thing.

On 9/8/2020 at 3:00 AM, danasgoodstuff said:

I was hoping maybe some one would recomend some later day recordings by Gary - I think the last I have is Just so Happens with Fill f. from '94.  

Martial Solal "Just Friends" on Dreyfus, recorded in 1997. Piano trio with Paul Motian. Joyful stuff!   

Edited by Д.Д.