Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hardbopjazz

The Saxophone Colossus turns 90 today.

22 posts in this topic

Happy 90th birthday, Sonny Rollins. You are a true living legend.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible, Happy Birthday to one of my all time favourites since I listen to jazz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Happy Birthday to a truly great jazz musician!

And a truly great person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forever my hero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy birthday indeed!  

What are you called when you hit 90?  I know at age 80 it's octogenarian.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Happy birthday indeed!  

What are you called when you hit 90?  I know at age 80 it's octogenarian.

 

 

nonagenarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  Happy birthday, Newk!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy birthday to Newk.  It’s time for him to write his autobiography.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mjzee said:

Happy birthday to Newk.  It’s time for him to write his autobiography.

It would be hard for anyone else to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

It would be hard for anyone else to do that.

Wish somebody had told Miles that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW,  I created a fun Twitter thread today of 25 great live performances by Sonny. You can see it here: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Wish somebody had told Miles that.

Me 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Mark Stryker said:

FWIW,  I created a fun Twitter thread today of 25 great live performances by Sonny. You can see it here: 

 

I saw Ethan Iverson’s retweet of this earlier today. This is an excellent list, Mark—thanks so much for putting it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am saluting Sonny Rollins' 90th Birthday with a special edition of Timeless Jazz this Sunday from 3 to 5pm EDT, webcast at wutc.org. Included will be some excerpts of a phone interview that I did with him in August 2007 for a Hot House feature. Since there is so much great music, I will probably extend it into the following week's program as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Happy birthday to Newk.  It’s time for him to write his autobiography.

It will be out sometime next year. Sonny has been working on it with with a writer.  

Here is an interview just done for his 90th birthday. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hardbopjazz said:

It will be out sometime next year. Sonny has been working on it with with a writer.  

Great news!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Great news!

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

Happy birthday to Newk.  It’s time for him to write his autobiography.

It will be out sometime next year. Sonny has been working on it with with a writer.  

 

Aidan Levy is currently writing a biography of Sonny Rollins. Sonny has been involved, but I don't know to what extent.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would be a great read! Happy Birthday to the great one--and many happy returns!!

 

 

gregmo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.