Prestige/Jazzland/Riverside unissued sessions/tracks

bertrand

Michael Ruppli's Prestige disco lists a number of unissued sessions and tracks. But there's no guarantee it is all in there. Some fellow boarder alerted me to an Eddie Lockjaw Davis track that was issued on LP but is not in this disco. You never know.

Too bad there never were label discographies of Riverside/Jazzland or Contemporary, not to mention Fantasy.

7 hours ago, bertrand said:

I am one of the guilty parties. What are some of the key recordings?

You also got some Donald Byrd return-to-straight-ahead records where he is really weak but surrounded by good playing, plus more Bobby Hutcherson records for any label other than Blue Note.

Also some Kronos Quartet, if you're into that type of thing, and it's only fair to say that you're not unless you have at least flrited with them to more than a eye-contact level. But don't feel bad about not going all the way with them, they are a somewhat specialized taste in both content and results, imo.

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Michael Ruppli's Prestige disco lists a number of unissued sessions and tracks. But there's no guarantee it is all in there. Some fellow boarder alerted me to an Eddie Lockjaw Davis track that was issued on LP but is not in this disco. You never know.

Too bad there never were label discographies of Riverside/Jazzland or Contemporary, not to mention Fantasy.

There you go.

And of course the Blue Note discography is not complete, e.g. the Unity and Out To Lunch alternates that came out in Japan.

I am still holding out hope that some surprises may pop up in my lifetime.

On 10/9/2020 at 2:51 AM, JSngry said:

Are we sure that the label wasn't actually Landmark, not Fantasy? Hutch did a released record on Landmark a few months after this, and it was still a Keepnews thing, still using Fantasy studios, the whole shebang. Maybe Fantasy's vaults are not the place to look for the tapes, maybe Keepnews' holdings are.

Thanks a lot for the clue (JSngry, bertrand and Larry Kart).

It perfectly makes sense that the recording was for Landmark and not Fantasy, given that Hutcherson was under contract. Probably Miquel Jurado took for granted it was Fantasy, since the studio recording took place at Fantasy studios in Berkeley.

I will hence contact Peter Keepnews.

Edited by EKE BBB

So the Blue Note discography only lists some takes. It will always be the issued takes, plus some unissued or rejected. But you cannot assume that unlisted takes are always incomplete or unusable in other ways, as we have seen with the additional alternates that popped up on Japanese reissues a few years ago. In other words, the discography might list takes 6, 12, 17, 22 and 30, but there is no way to know exactly what the other 25 were. As we saw with Unity, they are not necessarily all unusable.

Riverside/Jazzland gives no take numbers at all, so no way to know if anything of interest existed beyond the issued tracks. Only a fool would conclude that this means there is nothing unissued of interest. What was worth issuing at the time was dependent on a number of factors.