for those who care - Fleetwood Mac 1969-1974

felser

Beautiful 8 CD set with mini-LP gatefolds, great remastered sound, many bonus tracks, previously unreleased 1974 concert.    This was the period from 'Then Play On' to 'Heroes are Hard to Find',  everything from when they broke free of the strict blues structures up to the doorstep of the Buckingham-Nicks superstar years.  Danny Kirwan shines on the first four albums (these albums are his legacy), and Bob Welch, Christine McVie, and Jeremy Spencer have great moments at different points.  And 'Then Play On' is Peter Green's greatest moment.  $31.15 at importcds.com.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it. 

Fleetwood Mac News: Fleetwood Mac Early Years CD / LP Collections Available  September 4th

Still tempting.  I've never owned a stitch of FM's pre Buckingham/Nicks era output, and I've always had the vague sense that I probably know (or knew) 6-8 tunes from this era, from radio-play on a couple really good AOR stations I listened to growing up in St. Louis in the mid-80's (when I was in highschool), before "Classic Rock" became the stale radio-format it is today (and has been for 20-30 years).

I also love Christine McVie's post-1975 FM output, and have always wondered if a comprehensive single-CD compilation of her earlier (pre-1975) material might go down nicely, probably an underappreciated part of her career (certainly underappreciated by me).

I'm not sure I'd "love" this entire box set (certainly not day #1) -- but I'm leaning towards thinking half of it might easily rank as very solid "7/10" -- and that might well grow on me too, over a few years (some music is sneaky and almost insidious like that).

And a "too-well"-curated "best of" from this era (especially if it was only one 80-minute CD), would probably omit a good hour or two worth of material that just barely didn't make that cut.  It's not the best-known 35-minutes of tunes that interest me the most -- but rather then "next best" 2 hours that I wouldn't even necessarily be able to pick out without spinning the entire box 5 or 10 times (giving the material time to grow on me).

I don't see any other way to discover that underrated "best 2 hours of pre-1975 FM" that hardly ever made it on the radio (ever), or only for the 5 or 10 years after it first came out (and just barely).

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself to get this?

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Still tempting.  I've never owned a stitch of FM's pre Buckingham/Nicks era output, and I've always had the vague sense that I probably know (or knew) 6-8 tunes from this era, from radio-play on a couple really good AOR stations I listened to growing up in St. Louis in the mid-80's (when I was in highschool), before "Classic Rock" became the stale radio-format it is today (and has been for 20-30 years).

I also love Christine McVie's post-1975 FM output, and have always wondered if a comprehensive single-CD compilation of her earlier (pre-1975) material might go down nicely, probably an underappreciated part of her career (certainly underappreciated by me).

I'm not sure I'd "love" this entire box set (certainly not day #1) -- but I'm leaning towards thinking half of it might easily rank as very solid "7/10" -- and that might well grow on me too, over a few years (some music is sneaky and almost insidious like that).

And a "too-well"-curated "best of" from this era (especially if it was only one 80-minute CD), would probably omit a good hour or two worth of material that just barely didn't make that cut.  It's not the best-known 35-minutes of tunes that interest me the most -- but rather then "next best" 2 hours that I wouldn't even necessarily be able to pick out without spinning the entire box 5 or 10 times (giving the material time to grow on me).

I don't see any other way to discover that underrated "best 2 hours of pre-1975 FM" that hardly ever made it on the radio (ever), or only for the 5 or 10 years after it first came out (and just barely).

Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself to get this?

This may help also - I think Christine McVie's early Fleetwood Mac work was far superior to her Buckingham-Nicks era work, which I always found too sugary.

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

Yes I care, and as I only have Then play on I might be tempted to get this, even if it's only for Peter Green. Given I love Then play on.

That's the only one in this set Green plays on.  Danny Kirwan is the big draw on this set, with lots of Bob Welch and Christine McVie, and the best Jeremy Spencer on record from Kiln House.

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

With Buckingham Nicks, it’s like two different bands before and after 1974. 

Yep.  For that matter, pre- and post- Peter Green were like two different bands, and then Buckingham/Nicks was something else again.  All have their substantial pleasures.

It's really a shame that the Buckingham Nix group was still called Fleetwood Mac.  The original Peter Green band was the real deal and you underestimate the Bob Welch / Dave Walker led group at your own peril. IMO, "Bermuda Triangle", "Church" and. "Hynotized" are among the best songs any FM iteration ever recorded.    

22 minutes ago, Dave James said:

It's really a shame that the Buckingham Nix group was still called Fleetwood Mac.  The original Peter Green band was the real deal and you underestimate the Bob Welch / Dave Walker led group at your own peril. IMO, "Bermuda Triangle", "Church" and. "Hynotized" are among the best songs any FM iteration ever recorded.    

And I remain even more taken with the three albums where Danny Kirwan was the main guy.   'Kiln House', 'Future Games', and 'Bare Trees' are just lovely albums.  Jeremy Spencer had major contributions to 'Kiln House', Bob Welch and Christine McVie to the other two.