Jazz Clubs: Casualties of the Pandemic?

The Pandemic may cause jazz clubs to close.  According to the following article, the Irridium in NY is likely to close and several clubs in Washington have closed. Governmental assistance may be necessary to keep jazz clubs in business.

“The entire concert industry is struggling as the Covid-19 shutdown continues. But a genre rooted in live performance and in-the-moment dynamics is in particular peril.”

Jazz Lives in Clubs. The Pandemic Is Threatening Its Future

Small venues of all types are in real danger. They're obviously going to be the LAST places to be allowed to open. Issues with close crowds, questionable ventilation, thorough dish cleaning and bar hygiene - plus how do you isolate singers, especially in a rock venue.

It's going to be VERY complicated until there is a trusted vaccine.

52 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

With few exceptions jazz clubs have never exactly enjoyed long lives. I would imagine that if some close, others will open. Maybe that's the optimist in me!

gregmo

Well, that certainly hasn't happened in Toronto (pre-COVID).  We've basically lost all the clubs with the exception of The Rex and I guess Jazz Bistro, and none of them get really big stars anymore. 

This is a particularly bleak period, basically unprecedented, and I don't think many clubs outside New York, SF and Chicago are going to make it.

My understanding is that a lot of clubs, bars and restaurants are limping to the finish line (i.e. the end of patio season) and then most are going to close for good.  At least that's what's happening here.  Maybe the final nail is that even after businesses were technically allowed to reopen, all the employees stayed home and so none of that downtown business crowd returned to keep these places afloat.  I would think that new businesses won't even be able to get the insurance needed to reopen because the newly written policies will be so expensive. 

35 minutes ago, Ken Dryden said:

I am sure that a lot of people are wishing that the bumbling mayors who have ground business to a near halt in their cities soon close their final term in office.

Interestingly, business leaders in NY have called on the Mayor to take forceful action to forestall the City’s decline. 

10 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I am sure that a lot of people are wishing that the bumbling mayors who have ground business to a near halt in their cities soon close their final term in office.

What are you talking about? COVID-19 "ground business to a near halt", at least if you had smart local leaders, be it mayors or governors. If a few businesses close permanently as a result, that's bad, but it's much better than a few hundred thousand more deaths, isn't it?

sad reality is the great little small rooms that I’ve been watching and hearing the greatest improvising musicians play in over the past 25 years or so will be very last places that can safely open. Just a matter of fact. 

my dream remains that this happens - hopefully within a year or so

I miss the musicians and their shows as much as food and water on some days - of course it is just a feeling but my heart goes out to all of the mad geniuses that I’ve NEVER taken for granted in being blessed to be able to witness. Many of these sets of music have been highlights of my adult life. Experiences beyond the realm of beauty and wonder. I could mention dozens of concerts over the years that were musically life altering experiences including the last few I attended this past January through March 2nd this year. 

so yes I miss it madly and I’m pretty damn sure the musicians miss it much much more than that - so when it’s safe there will be some rooms to see and hear Mat, Randy & Tony among many others 

because as much as I miss all my musical heroes playing in those great small rooms in NYC, the three I miss more than any of the others are Mat Maneri, Randy Peterson & Tony Malaby. Not just because at their peaks they’ve excited and moved me beyond words maybe more than any of the multitude of improvising masters, but because of their wonderous spirits and their love of the music and and their love of the dedicated listeners and their fellow musical warriors.

Get Ready to Receive Yourself

19 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

I'm equally sure a lot of people are wishing that the bumbling president who has ground everything to a near halt in their country will soon close his final term in office. :cool:

Many restaurants should be able to open up to 50% capacity without undue risk, if they can space out the tables. Granted, it will be hard for some jazz clubs to meet such guidelines due to their already compact seating and minimal square footage, but at least discussions should be on the table. I can't imagine how many favorite restaurants and jazz clubs will be shuttered for good by my next trip to NYC. 

On 9/10/2020 at 11:41 PM, BFrank said:

Small venues of all types are in real danger. They're obviously going to be the LAST places to be allowed to open. Issues with close crowds, questionable ventilation, thorough dish cleaning and bar hygiene - plus how do you isolate singers, especially in a rock venue.

It's going to be VERY complicated until there is a trusted vaccine.

This exactly.  Plus, let's face it, the jazz audience generally tends to show a lot of grey hair.  Even if clubs were to reopen at partial capacity with social distancing guidelines in place, how long would it take their formerly loyal older patrons to feel safe and comfortable about returning?  Honestly, it's going to take me a while.

And if enough clubs are able to open up around the country, how many musicians are going to be eager to go out on the road again?  With a pandemic still at concerning levels, would you want to have to risk your life going from airport to air flight to airport to shuttle ride to hotel to shuttle ride to performance venue to reverse sequence and repeat night after night?  Would we really want our jazz favorites to have to risk their lives like that?  I'm sure a lot of them really need the cash right now.  But with venues opening at partial capacity, will they be able to offer sufficient money to make it worthwhile for the musicians?  Lots of questions no one can answer yet.

In this country are there still any jazz clubs outside London? I don't know of any. There are venues for regular jazz sessions and these are likely to be very heavily hit on account of the typical age of patrons and their understandable caution about venturing out at the moment. After all, we recently had a kind of older-than-you competition on this forum with ages of 78, 80 and 83 being brandished. :(

2 hours ago, BillF said:

In this country are there still any jazz clubs outside London? I don't know of any. There are venues for regular jazz sessions and these are likely to be very heavily hit on account of the typical age of patrons and their understandable caution about venturing out at the moment. After all, we recently had a kind of older-than-you competition on this forum with ages of 78, 80 and 83 being brandished. :(

Nigel Price has a tour coming up - quite a few jazz clubs outside London on this list, thankfully.

tour.jpg?w=639&h=852

15 hours ago, duaneiac said:

This exactly.  Plus, let's face it, the jazz audience generally tends to show a lot of grey hair.  Even if clubs were to reopen at partial capacity with social distancing guidelines in place, how long would it take their formerly loyal older patrons to feel safe and comfortable about returning?  Honestly, it's going to take me a while.

And if enough clubs are able to open up around the country, how many musicians are going to be eager to go out on the road again?  With a pandemic still at concerning levels, would you want to have to risk your life going from airport to air flight to airport to shuttle ride to hotel to shuttle ride to performance venue to reverse sequence and repeat night after night?  Would we really want our jazz favorites to have to risk their lives like that?  I'm sure a lot of them really need the cash right now.  But with venues opening at partial capacity, will they be able to offer sufficient money to make it worthwhile for the musicians?  Lots of questions no one can answer yet.

Sadly, that's all very true. So many obstacles to getting live music back. :(

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Nigel Price has a tour coming up - quite a few jazz clubs outside London on this list, thankfully.

tour.jpg?w=639&h=852

Nice to see those guys back, tho I won't be turning out. Too bloody scared! I've gone online for everything - jazz, movies, Spanish lessons, shopping - and will probably stay that way.:mellow:

17 minutes ago, BillF said:

Nice to see those guys back, tho I won't be turning out. Too bloody scared! I've gone online for everything - jazz, movies, Spanish lessons, shopping - and will probably stay that way.:mellow:

Yes, if anyone was going to blaze a trail getting things back running again, it would be Nigel. It helps that he has a loyal fan demographic that covers all the ages, so the youngsters are likely to turn out.

Hear what you say about staying online. Rare excursion for me into the ‘wilds’ of central Bath yesterday, furtively and with mask. Distinct lack of social distancing going amongst many which doesn’t bode good. Didn’t hang around too long. :(

Edited by sidewinder