Cindy Blackman Santana - Give the Drummer Some

GA Russell

cover-1d376fec937c4e398af48337c3761798-f

Artist Title Time    

Cindy Blackman Santana We Came To Play (Featuring John McLaughlin) 05:41    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Everybody’s Dancin’ (Featuring Carlos Santana) 04:57    

Cindy Blackman Santana
"We Came To Play (Featuring John McLaughlin) & Everybody's Dancin' (Featuring Carlos Santana)"

Format(s): AAA, College, Jazz, Non-Commercial, NPR

- IMPACTING NOW -

Out September 18, the album features Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Kirk Hammett, Vernon Reid and Producer Narada Michael Walden. 

On September 18, renowned virtuoso drummer, songwriter and singer Cindy Blackman Santana will release her astonishing new solo album, Give the Drummer Some. Three years in the making, the record is a rapturous testament to Blackman Santana’s unparalleled musicianship and compositional mastery, featuring 17 tracks (both instrumentals and vocal songs) that take listeners on an exuberant, compelling and beautifully sustained journey that will leave them breathless.

Working as her own producer as well as with multiple Grammy and Emmy-winning hitmaker Narada Michael Walden (Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin and Mariah Carey, among others), Blackman Santana welcomed a brilliant array of musicians to her sessions, including an eye-popping host of guitar titan guest stars, such as Mahavishu Orchestra legend John McLaughlin, Living Colour’s Vernon Reid and Metallica’s Kirk Hammett. As one might expect, the drummer, who for the past decade been a mainstay in the band Santana, features the unmistakable artistry of her guitar icon husband Carlos Santana, on a generous number of cuts.

“If I had any kind of agenda at all, I wanted this album to be all-encompassing,” says Blackman Santana. “Pop, funk, rock, jazz – I embrace the creativity in all of it, and I feel so inspired when I play it. That’s what I wanted people to feel when they listen to the album – inspired.”

On the epic instrumental “We Came to Play,” Blackman Santana creates a gargantuan groove while engaging in a riveting musical conversation with John McLaughlin and bassist Matt Garrison; on top of which Neal Evans adds an amazing palate on organ providing warm, textured undertones. “This track kept building and building, and things got very fiery,” says Blackman Santana. The title sums up the vibe: ‘This is us, we’re playing, and if you don’t like it, go home!’”

“Everybody’s Dancin’” is a hook-filled, deliciously vibey treasure that features a mega-searing guitar solo by Carlos. As Blackman Santana explains, the song came about following a remark that producer Walden made about her hair: “Narada loves my Afro – he said it was electric,” she laughs. “That really sparked the idea for the song. We wanted something that united people, something fun and universal that would be a joy for them to sing. It certainly was for me.”

“It was a lot of fun to do so many vocal songs on this album,” she says. “I am, and always will be a drummer, but it’s also exciting to showcase the singer side of me. I want people to have a great time listening to it. I set out to make a record that was fun and uplifting, but more than that I wanted the messages to matter. If people come away from it feeling all that I put into it, then I’ve done my job.”

Edited by GA Russell

On 9/13/2020 at 5:26 PM, CJ Shearn said:

Definitely gonna check it out.    The only Cindy album I have is Another Lifetime

I streamed 3 tracks that were available and was disappointed. She's a great drummer, but the tunes sounded like generic fusion (w/vocals), even the one with Carlos on guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

cover-3f87e91522634990be9b9428b94dda60-f

Artist Title Time    

Cindy Blackman Santana Imagine (Featuring Carlos Santana) 05:06    
  Cindy Blackman Santana We Came To Play (Featuring John McLaughlin) 05:41    
  Cindy Blackman Santana She's Got It Goin On 03:20    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Miles Away 01:57    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Everybody’s Dancin’ (Featuring Carlos Santana) 04:57    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Velocity 05:22    
  Cindy Blackman Santana I need A Drummer 03:50    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Superbad (Featuring John McLaughlin 06:52    
  Cindy Blackman Santana You Don’t Wanna Breaka My Heart (Featuring Carlos Santana) 05:11    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Evolution Revolution (Featuring Kirk Hammett & Vernon Reid) 03:56    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Change Is In Your Hands (Featuring Vernon Reid). 03:36    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Dance Party (Featuring Carlos Santana) 03:35    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Fun Party Splash (Featuring Carlos Santana). 05:06    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Social Justice (Featuring Carlos Santana) 02:36    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Twilight Mask (Featuring Carlos Santana) 09:13    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Mother Earth 01:18    
  Cindy Blackman Santana Black Pearl (Featuring Carlos Santana & Vernon Reid) 07:35    

Cindy Blackman Santana
"Give The Drummer Some"

Format(s): AAA, Classic Hits, Classic Rock, College, Jazz, Non-Commercial, NPR

- Album Impacting Monday, September 28 -

Cindy Blackman Santana’s New Solo Album Give the Drummer Some, Featuring Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin, Kirk Hammett and Vernon Reid, Available Now!

Renowned virtuoso drummer, songwriter and singer Cindy Blackman Santana will release her astonishing new solo album, Give the Drummer Some. Three years in the making, the record is a rapturous testament to Blackman Santana’s unparalleled musicianship and compositional mastery, featuring 17 tracks (both instrumentals and vocal songs) that take listeners on an exuberant, compelling and beautifully sustained journey that will leave them breathless.

Working as her own producer as well as with multiple Grammy-winning hitmaker Narada Michael Walden, Blackman Santana welcomed a brilliant array of musicians to her sessions, including an eye-popping host of guitar titan guest stars, such as Mahavishnu Orchestra legend John McLaughlin, Living Colour’s Vernon Reid and Metallica’s Kirk Hammett. As one might expect, the drummer, who for the past decade has been a mainstay in the band Santana, features the unmistakable artistry of her guitar icon husband, Carlos Santana, on eight remarkable cuts.

“If I had any kind of agenda at all, I wanted this album to be all-encompassing,” says Blackman Santana. “Pop, funk, rock, jazz – I embrace the creativity in all of it, and I feel so inspired when I play it. That’s what I wanted people to feel when they listen to the album – inspired.”

Heralded as one of the greatest drummers of her time, Blackman Santana turns in bravura playing throughout Give the Drummer Some.  On the epic instrumental “We Came to Play,” Blackman Santana creates a gargantuan groove while engaging in a riveting musical conversation with John McLaughlin. “This track kept building and building, and things got very fiery,” says Blackman Santana. The title sums up the vibe: ‘This is us, we’re playing, and if you don’t like it, go home!’” But this is also the album on which she distinguishes herself as a supreme vocalist, as evidenced on the record’s first single, an extraordinary rock-funk re-imagining of John Lennon’s classic “Imagine.” Endorsed by Yoko Ono Lennon, the stomping track (which features a wicked guitar solo by Carlos Santana), is already burning up radio and streaming playlists and is also the first track issued via SongAid, a new global initiative the Santanas have helped launch to benefit WhyHunger’s Rapid Response Fund.

“Everybody’s Dancin’” is a hook-filled, deliciously vibey treasure that features a mega-searing guitar solo by Carlos Santana. As Blackman Santana explains, the song came about following a remark that producer Walden made about her hair: “Narada loves my Afro – he said it was electric,” she laughs. “That really sparked the idea for the song. We wanted something that united people, something fun and universal that would be a joy for them to sing. It certainly was for me.”

Blackman Santana’s sparkling vocals light up Give the Drummer Some’s second single, “She’s Got it Goin’ On’” – a doozy of a party jam but one with a distinct point of view. “It’s a fun, clubby, party song that celebrates the confidence that a strong woman has,” says Blackman Santana. “She’s dressed for success, she’s got her hair just right, she’s got a strut – she knows who she is. I wanted to celebrate confident women in a really cool way. And a celebration can be empowering.”

“It was a lot of fun to do so many vocal songs on this album,” she says. “I am, and always will be a drummer, but it’s also exciting to showcase the singer side of me. I want people to have a great time listening to it. I set out to make a record that was fun and uplifting, but more than that I wanted the messages to matter. If people come away from it feeling all that I put into it, then I’ve done my job.”

During her illustrious career, Blackman Santana has performed with a prestigious and diverse group of artists (Lenny Kravitz, Ron Carter, Bill Laswell, Joss Stone, Wallace Roney, Buckethead, Angela Bofill, Vernon Reid, Jack Bruce, Jackie McLean, Don Pullen, Buster Williams, just to name a few), and she has released a string of critically and commercially hailed solo albums. In many ways, Give the Drummer Some represents a grand summation of Blackman Santana’s talents and history, but it’s also the start of an exciting new chapter in her musical life.

Che