GA Russell

Miles Post-Sabbatical Columbias

13 posts in this topic

Are any of Miles' albums from the last Columbia period worthwhile?

Yes. IMO they are all worth hearing at least once to experience and see if you dig them. I particularly like Star People and Aura.

34 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

Yes. IMO they are all worth hearing at least once to experience and see if you dig them. I particularly like Star People and Aura.

Strong agreement, though I would add:

1) They're variable in quality.

2) I don't think any of them make it to the top tier of Miles recordings.  Roughly comparable to the 1950-53 period IMHO.

3) Miles was arguably better live than in the studio during this period, and the officially released live albums aren't necessarily the best documents either.

Thanks, guys!

Ghost, that's some memory you have.

Aura is studio, and We Want Miles is live, right?  Is Star People studio too?

We Want Miles is the one I keep coming back to.

Star People (studio) is not bad, especially the lengthy title track.

Ok, if the only Miles Davis cut I had ever heard in my life was this and if somebody told me just that Miles Davis was the leader, composer, and keyboardist, I would still think that this was one badass crazy motherfucker, this Miles Davis guy, oh hell yeah, why how come he don't have more records, I want to hear more of THIS!

Trumpet solo really not relevant to the badassness of the music here. And fullest props to Teo for making the record out of the music.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Damn, does that sound like 1983.  And I mean that as a compliment... really captures the vibe of the times somehow.

Arranged by Gil Evans!

The two long tracks on We Want Miles and Ursula from Man With The Horn are fabulous pieces.