Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

BrianB

I’ve been trying to find a copy of this on vinyl but available copies are waaaayyyy out of my budget. Plus, vintage record store rummaging is constantly futile for this album. I guess people don’t want to give up a good thing ;) I have it on Apple Music and love it - but would also love it on vinyl. 

I found one list of upcoming Blue Note reissues but this wasn’t on the list. Does anyone know if this is slated for a rerelease anytime soon? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t have the pressings readily available but the King will be smooth, low noise with very nice presentation. Maybe lacking a little presence. The Pathe Marconi will be a little on the ‘thin’ side. An original will have lots of ‘oomph’ and life, although noise might be an issue if the condition is not great (although Plastylite pressings usually are very good in this regard).

My NY pressing has a blank white label on one side. They were churning them out so fast in 1964/65 that quality control took a dive !

And as usual, Londonjazzcollector has a whole treatise on it..:D

https://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/2018/02/08/lee-morgan-the-sidewinder-1964-blue-note/

Edited by sidewinder

It's crazy how much the vinyl goes for on this one considering how many were pressed back in the 1960s. I have an original mono with lovely punchy sound. Music Matters reissued it a few years back and it sounds OK, but not as vibrant as the original or even the RVG CD. You are probably in safe hands with a King or Liberty era pressing.

1 hour ago, B. Clugston said:

It's crazy how much the vinyl goes for on this one considering how many were pressed back in the 1960s. I have an original mono with lovely punchy sound. Music Matters reissued it a few years back and it sounds OK, but not as vibrant as the original or even the RVG CD. You are probably in safe hands with a King or Liberty era pressing.

And the resale prices on the Music Matters one is crazy stupid, $200 and up. 

This is becoming an interesting question to me ... I've been looking at jazz in used record store racks since 1988, cannot really say I've ever seen a copy of The Sidewinder. You'd really think they would be all over but if so, where did they go and when did they become scarce? I am pretty sure I've seen a few copies of Rumproller though ...

23 hours ago, mjzee said:

I used to have this:

61fihvc9%2BhL._SL1500_.jpg

I used to object to BN slapping on the "Finest In Jazz" mark on non-Blue Note reissues, but I actually never knew that this reissue program actually was also used on BN vinyl and pretending they were PJ issues. I've only seen PJs reissued with these covers.

32 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

This is becoming an interesting question to me ... I've been looking at jazz in used record store racks since 1988, cannot really say I've ever seen a copy of The Sidewinder. You'd really think they would be all over but if so, where did they go and when did they become scarce? I am pretty sure I've seen a few copies of Rumproller though ...

I used to object to BN slapping on the "Finest In Jazz" mark on non-Blue Note reissues, but I actually never knew that this reissue program actually was also used on BN vinyl and pretending they were PJ issues. I've only seen PJs reissued with these covers.

It was also used for some Solid State albums. This is my favorite; Chick Corea's 1968 Solid State album, re-released as a Pacific Jazz album by Music For Pleasure on cassette! 

R-7340778-1439304649-8025.jpeg.jpg