Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder

BrianB

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/20/2020 at 8:52 AM, BrianB said:

I’ve been trying to find a copy of this on vinyl but available copies are waaaayyyy out of my budget. Plus, vintage record store rummaging is constantly futile for this album. I guess people don’t want to give up a good thing ;) I have it on Apple Music and love it - but would also love it on vinyl. 

I found one list of upcoming Blue Note reissues but this wasn’t on the list. Does anyone know if this is slated for a rerelease anytime soon? 

Brian - I am quoting you so you get notified of a reply...

Blue Note just announced that they are reissuing this in a new vinyl series cut by Kevin Gray and pressed at Optimal in Germany. It should list for around $20. It might even use the same plates that they used for the Music Matters LP (which sounds great) as that was also cut by Kevin Gray.

http://www.bluenote.com/classic-vinyl-reissue-series/

Edited by bresna

• 1 month later...

I lived without SW for decades because it was so common.  You heard the title track everywhere it seemed or friends had the album and played it when you came over.  In the 90s BN reissued it on vinyl so decided to grab it just to have it in the collection.  I discovered I really liked side two a lot.  I rarely played side one.  Music Matters reissued it and on the strength of side two I picked it up and sold off the other copy.  Funny, I don’t play it all that often these days but when I do it is usually side two and then I put it away again.

On 10/5/2020 at 2:45 PM, bresna said:

Nobody seems to have that commercial. It only ran that one time and it sounds like the copyright lawsuit stopped it from being shown again. I've searched for it for many years and never found it. I figured that since it was during a World Series game, but no, no footage seems to exist from this.

Here it is.

12 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Sounds a bit like any of those who were ghost-writing for Quincy Jones.

I was actually wondering about Benny Golson...when did he move into doing "other" types of writing gigs?

12 minutes ago, Dub Modal said:

Any names come from that stable that became famous or at least well known? 

The most common name from this time would have been Billy Byers, who also had a name of his own.

7 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I was actually wondering about Benny Golson...when did he move into doing "other" types of writing gigs?

Somehow I have the feeling that he had begun to do "commercial" stuff by the mid 60s, and the style seems to fit as well. Somebody should ask him!

Ok, here's some other spots from the same season, same writer, maybe?

I think that's Phil woods on that one?

Pamela Austin, geez, I had forgotten all about her!

Think about all the money that got spent to make the music for those spots, not just the players, but the arrangers, the copyists(!!!!), the studio personnel, just on and on, money put into circulation for skills and services rendered. Now it's one guy and a laptop.

Pamela Austin was cute! Probably still is!