“Schiltz Salute to Jazz”

DMP

Robin Kelley’s notes to the Monk “Palo Alto” release mentions this in passing. Does anyone remember this? Pittsburgh was one of the stops, although I don’t recall the Schlitz name being attached. It was Cannonball (opening with “74 Miles Away”), Gary Burton (with Coryell and Roy Haynes), Herbie Mann (Roy Ayers, Sonny Sharrock & Miroslav Vitous), Hugh Masekela (replacing Wes Montgomery, who was announced as part of the lineup, but recently passed - Masekela was subbed, probably on the basis of having a surprise “hit” record at the moment), Dionne Warwick and Monk. Wow! We used to take these kind of shows for common, although, outside of Newport, that was about a strong a lineup as I ever heard. 

I remember them existing, never went to one.

The Kool Jazz & Blues Festival was another such thing, began life as the Kool/Newport Festival, and which became less "jazz" (even tangentially) as it evolved, but if anybody wants to trace the sociology of "where did the Black Jazz Audience go?", trace the chronology of these types events. There was definitely a transition too, it's not like it happened all at once.