RIP Ira Sullivan

Chuck Nessa

I remember walking in small club in Miami in early 90’s and seeing him play for the first time. Totally unaware he was playing and totally blown away. Saw him several times through the years with small group and he still could play. He played Sax , trumpet and flute. Always closed with Amazing Grace on flute. Vaya con dios my friend.

Edited by Gdgray
Error

RIP

I may well have seen him over the years at the Chicago Jazz Festival in an ensemble. 

However, The only time I know for sure that I saw him was at this amazing concert where he was one of several tenor players - March 19, 2005: The Great Chicago Tenor Saxes, featuring Johnny Griffin, Ira Sullivan, Von Freeman, Franz Jackson and Eric Alexander.  The Art Institute of Chicago Rubloff Auditorium

Still can't believe this wasn't recorded (or at least made publicly available)...

Ira, Johnny Griffin, and bassist Nevin Wilson are on the cover of my book: The uncredited photo was taken from almost exactly where I was sitting that Monday night at the Gate of Horn, though it may have been taken at another club. Couldn't believe my good fortune when I found it in the Chicago Tribune "morgue," from whence I borrowed it.

BTW, when Ira came back to Chicago to play at Joe Segal's Jazz Showcase in 1967 IIRC after a long stay in Miami, I did an interview with him for the Tribune. He couldn't have been nicer or more real. 

51xKYkMdcdL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My favorite Ira tenor solo -- with Red Rodney, Tommy Flanagan, Oscar Pettiford, and Philly Joe Jones in 1957. The transition Ira makes from the Latin-portion into straight time!