Who on board, has an old radio (pre-1935)

r-39-ad

Lower left, thats mine there: Victor 1931 season announced Oct. 1930 model R-39.  This and similar models were already on the schedule for Victor when RCA inked the deal--rca would release the TRF sets under the victor name and the superhets under the rca radiola name from then on.  the series started in 1929.  it was called micro-syncronous tuning. I jammed some Duke Ellington from the archive on it, like period ellington, period fletcher henderson, even anson weeks and ted weems n stuff- the SQ (AND TUNING) is way better than i ever expected when i dove into this- and it will be even better next week when my new tube comes.  The fidelity is stunning.  I wish i had a bigger room area to put it in to really get a grasp, instead of just being blasted with it, but that works too.   Oh I also tried a little period Blind Lemmon Jefferson...........WHOA.  It was authentic as you can get- it beat having the 78 i swear-  it sounded out of this world.  want to see the dial?  these were the first dials where all channels are shows simultaneously - they plugged that hard in a lot of the ads-    the dawg who i got it from was all the dial is dim.  yeah in the outside daylight where he was testing it sure, at home it beams.

if you live in a state that state has at least at this present time a few hundred old radios being given and practically given away- it is an amazing time to locate radios.  ive seen some crazy old ones that are so nutz they must go to 1920s radio big dawgs.  mine is like a cd player compared to some of the others ive seen around.  Like an original style 3 tuning knobs-TRF where you need three hands and you tune all 3 knobs manually.....

120067995-10100632070826968-5810369001490630348-o

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Chewy, you need to supplement this with a jukebox...78s and/or 45s.

That's on my wishlist of things I'd love to have but likely never will, so let me live that part of my dream through you, ok? LOL.

Seriously - bigass speakers, bigass grooves on the records, that shit can knock you on your ass.

2 hours ago, kh1958 said:

So, please explain, how are you playing music through this old radio?

mini 50mW AM Transmitter.  Iphone --> transmitter ---> Victor

17 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Chewy, you need to supplement this with a jukebox...78s and/or 45s.

That's on my wishlist of things I'd love to have but likely never will, so let me live that part of my dream through you, ok? LOL.

Seriously - bigass speakers, bigass grooves on the records, that shit can knock you on your ass.

always in the market for a crazy deal on a working 78-jukebox.........

45s of the vintage we're talking about (up until the early-mid 70s or so) are really not intended to be played on "hi-fi" equipment.

I mean, i do it because that's all I have (well, not even "hi-fi", but a home stereo system) and they still sound different enough to notice, but 45s are best heard on AM radio or a bigass jukebox.

and they will sound totally different in each place, but they will sound SO damn good either way.