Licensing Music for a Non-Profit 501 (c) (3)

Matthew

I've been asked to create on-line videos for a Non-Profit (a Catholic religious order), and I'm wondering about using music, mostly for background. Is there a service for Public Domain music, or is it one of these areas that for protection, I need to subscribe to a service for non-PD music. The videos are not for a large audience, target hits is in the 10,000 range.

Anyone out there with experience on this topic?

Edited by Matthew

although the prior statement is true, there are indeed a few sites with free music options where you don't need to go through licensing, just provide a credit.

www.freemusicarchive.org has a lot of music options and is usually a place to start

A video discussing it and a few other options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBH4nUOrAE

Edited by Adam

1 hour ago, Adam said:

although the prior statement is true, there are indeed a few sites with free music options where you don't need to go through licensing, just provide a credit.

www.freemusicarchive.org has a lot of music options and is usually a place to start

A video discussing it and a few other options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBH4nUOrAE

Thanks, the YouTube video was a good help for me to get a sense of price ranges and how things work. It also gave me two places to begin to look.

4 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

If your question is can a non-profit utilize licensed music without purchasing the necessary license, the answer is no. 

I had a good idea before starting with the videos that I had to pay something, it's not good uploading a video on their YT channel, then having it shut down for copyright infringement -- not a good look for a non-profit! Now if only I can get this iMovie thing down.

Edited by Matthew