Happy 80th Birthday, Gary Bartz!

Justin V

Masterly musician with a diverse recording legacy.  Saw him live twice, once at the Tower Theatre in the 70's (his crossover phase, did "Macaroni"), once at the Mill Creek Jazz Society in the 90's (straight ahead with the house rhythm section led by Sid Simmons), and he seemed like a very kind man.

I've actually been able to see Bartz perform live a lot more in the past 8 years than I had in previous 25. For some reason, he just didn't seem to come through Boston at the right time. Great player. His 2012 release, "Coltrane Rules (Tao Of A Music Warrior) is a great record. I can't believe he's 80.

On 27/09/2020 at 1:16 PM, bresna said:

I've actually been able to see Bartz perform live a lot more in the past 8 years than I had in previous 25. For some reason, he just didn't seem to come through Boston at the right time. Great player. His 2012 release, "Coltrane Rules (Tao Of A Music Warrior) is a great record. I can't believe he's 80.

I didn't know this album. Listening now and it's very good. Thanks for posting about it.

4 hours ago, felser said:

Still my very favorite Bartz release, and still no CD reissue (how did OJC overlook it?).  Also excellent Woody Shaw on this one:

Gary Bartz Ntu Troop - Home! (1973, Vinyl) | Discogs

👍🏼👍🏼Love that one. I think I may have bought after reading about it here a few years ago

20 hours ago, felser said:

Still my very favorite Bartz release, and still no CD reissue (how did OJC overlook it?).  Also excellent Woody Shaw on this one:

Gary Bartz Ntu Troop - Home! (1973, Vinyl) | Discogs

Just don't ask Gary why this hasn't come out on CD. I don't think he'll be polite with his answer. I bet he doesn't care one way or the other. He told me he hasn't made a penny from any of his earlier records. In fact, he told me to just copy it. He didn't care because he didn't make any money either way. He was very bitter about it. I gather he's not a fan of the music industry.

3 hours ago, bresna said:

Just don't ask Gary why this hasn't come out on CD. I don't think he'll be polite with his answer. I bet he doesn't care one way or the other. He told me he hasn't made a penny from any of his earlier records. In fact, he told me to just copy it. He didn't care because he didn't make any money either way. He was very bitter about it. I gather he's not a fan of the music industry.

Milestone and Prestige were major jazz labels back in that era.  Does anyone here know what their approach was on compensating artists for their albums in the late 60's to mid-70's?

15 hours ago, felser said:

Milestone and Prestige were major jazz labels back in that era.  Does anyone here know what their approach was on compensating artists for their albums in the late 60's to mid-70's?

Those were Orrin Keepnews projects, right?

10 hours ago, BFrank said:

Those were Orrin Keepnews projects, right?

The Milestones were, but not the Prestiges that followed.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Would that have been the first commercial release of a Left Bank recording?

AFAIK it was.  

On 9/27/2020 at 8:16 AM, bresna said:

Isn't there a Coltrane Rules, Volume Two that is MP3 only?

On 10/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, felser said:

The Milestones were, but not the Prestiges that followed.

AFAIK it was.  

When did the Roy Brooks come out?