Dexter Gordon - new Montmartre 1964 recordings with Tete Montoliu

EKE BBB

In November, Storyville will release a new live album by the Dexter Gordon Quartet with Tete Montoliu (& NHOP & Alex Riel), recorded at the legendary Copenhagen jazz cava Montmartre during the summer of 1964. 

1018410-cheese-cake-300x300.jpg

The first single is now available at different streaming sites:

https://orcd.co/cheese-cake

Definitely, this "Cheese Cake" is different from the one included in volume 2 of Dexter in Radioland Steeplechase series.

R-8923514-1471552440-5261.jpeg.jpg R-8923514-1471552443-9442.jpeg.jpg

So, Dexter Gordon fans, you're in for a treat! 

As for Dex's naysayers... just keep interpersonal distance! :) 

Thanks for the information!

I thought most of Dexter's Danish Radio broadcasts in 1964/65 have been already issued as Dexter In Radioland series,  but it might be from (missing) July 20, 1964?  A discography says they played I Want More, Misty and Cheese Cake at that night.

Dexter and Tete were really getting along.  I really hope someday I can get their private live recordings from Whisky Jazz Club in Madrid, Spain (Nov. 1964).  Seems somebody recorded tons of their music.

13 hours ago, Ed Swinnich said:

Does anyone know where you can pre-order?  I just saw an MP3 of the song Cheesecake on the US Amazon.  Nothing about an CD

I guess the complete disc (CD version) will be available through Storyville's website in November.

On 29/9/2020 at 0:44 PM, Dan Gould said:

We all have our favorites, my friend. :)

In any case, "have no fear, Dex is near":D

Edited by EKE BBB

The Monk Palo Alto album is a treat, because it takes a band/period that has up to now been documented as mostly rut-y and show them to be springy alive and frisky after all.

The Dex records, yes, I love to hear top form Dexter, it's always a pleasure, always a blessing, but perhaps not always a surprise or a revelation.

• 1 month later...

I received this yesterday from Amazon and listened yesterday while the board was down.

This is a terrific recording of prime Dex and Tete not to mention Alex Riel and NHOP. Excellent sound too and great liners with remembrances by Riel and Bo Stief and the main section is an excerpt from a chapter about Dex from a book about the Montmartre which is really vivid and well-written.

Palo Alto has competition for best archival recording of this annus horribilis - and I love the new Monk unreservedly.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

I received this yesterday from Amazon and listened yesterday while the board was down.

This is a terrific recording of prime Dex and Tete not to mention Alex Riel and NHOP. Excellent sound too and great liners with remembrances by Riel and Bo Stief and the main section is an excerpt from a chapter about Dex from a book about the Montmartre which is really vivid and well-written.

Palo Alto has competition for best archival recording of this annus horribilis - and I love the new Monk unreservedly.

Thanks for the comments, Dan. It came in the mail today. Repeated listenings during the weekend are foreseen. 😀

Does anyone know the exact date these recordings come from?  Sjogren's discography "Long Tall Dexter" notes that there is an unissued Danish Radio broadcast (from unknown venue), "I Want More" "Misty" and "Cheese Cake" from Jul. 20, 1964 (with Tete, NHOP and Alex).  I guess these are the last 3 tunes.  How about others?  From the same night?