BFT 199 - Link & Discussion

mjzee

22 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Good morning, everyone!  It's a new month and a new BFT!  Wish I had Ernie "Bubbles" Whitman to introduce, but I guess I'll have to do.

Due to Thom Keith's magic, you may now peruse it at:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

16 tracks, about 75 minutes.  I hope you enjoy.

Hmmm ... A CD length BFT. Must be mostly short tracks. Maybe more people will respond.

43 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

Hmmm ... A CD length BFT. Must be mostly short tracks. Maybe more people will respond.

Mine always fit on one CD, doesn't help responses all that much in my case.  Just a limited interest topic anymore.

15 minutes ago, felser said:

Mine always fit on one CD, doesn't help responses all that much in my case.  Just a limited interest topic anymore.

Probably though I suspect longer BFTs with many long tracks doesn't help either.

(I always end up longer than a single CD but try to stick with shorter tracks.)

BFT 199

Quite a broad range of music here.  Something for all tastes, ranging from my friend Dan Gould to me!  

1 – Monk cover.  Well enough done, but generally I only like Monk by Monk (and I don’t like “Blue Monk”  by anybody).

2 – Nice version of “Born to Be Blue”.  Not sure who the singer is, but she’s good.

3 – Doesn’t translate for me.

4 –  Good guitar player, but don’t care for the rhythm section (too stiff). 

5 – “All the Things You Are”.  I do like this version.  Surely from the 50’s?  Would not be shocked if I have this on the shelves somewhere.  Was thinking Teddy Charles and Jimmy Raney, but can’t find anything along those lines.

6 – Before my time.  “Caravan”

7 – I like this a lot.  60’s?  Might be a little later.   I know a lot of these songs, but my brain is too scrambled at the moment to place them.  

8 – Not a fan of this sort of thing, though (as with everything on the BFT), it’s well done for what it is.

9 – This is lovely for sure.    

10 – Works for me.    Randy Weston?   I know he did a duet album with Billy Harper in the past few years, but I’ve never heard it.  Is this from that?

11 – I LOVE this one!  Sure hope I have it somewhere, if not, will seek to remedy that ASAP.  This (along with the obvious #16) is the pick of the BFT for me.

12 – Caffeine high?   I think if I was in the right mood, this would sound good, but it just strikes me as frantic.  Not at all taken with the sound of the guitar player, and the organ player seems to be noodling.  I do like the trumpet solo.

13 – Found the trumpet player most annoying (sort of like 80’s Miles Davis, when he had lost his chops).

14 – Sounds like something John Lewis cooked up when moonlighting from the MJQ.  I like it.   Good bass player (Percy Heath?) and good drummer.  Another one of those standards my head can’t place today, but I believe it is likely a John Lewis composition.

15 – Good cut for sure, nice trumpet and bass.  I imagine it’s a well-ish known trumpet player, who has listened to Don Cherry.  I like it, but not sure it is something I would ever get around to pulling off the shelf and listening to a second time.

16 – Well, it certainly sounds like Paul Desmond playing “Take Five”, I assume from the 70’s live recordings with Ed Bickert, Don Thompson, and Jerry Fuller.  Great stuff of course.  And certainly the rhythm section brought a new excitement.  This times in shorter than the version on the original album – is it an alternate take from the Mosaic set?

1 - Monk tune...sounds more like a modern recording and the production is very radio friendly. Almost smooth jazz-ish in how this sounds. 

2 - I don't listen to much jazz vocals so while this sounds like a well known singer, I have no idea. Seems the title is "Born to be Blue"? Almost sound like a modern recording, but the piano is also boxed a bit, RVG style. The bass sounds good on its solo. 

3- Steel drum? No, maybe just a well recorded marimba where the resonance is captured? Can't be a tabla can it??? I also can't tell what type of guitar/strings are being strummed but it's a unique sound. Like how they switch it up from rhythm to lead. Nice tune. 

4 - Tight drum & bass. Guitar player can fly. Are there 2 guitarists? I think there may be. Is the piano playing a stride style? 

5 - Nicely recorded vibes. Sounds like a quartet with vibes, guitar, drum & bass. Nice comping from the vibes player during the guitar solo. Love the flow of this tune. 

6 - My favorite tune so far. Don't know what swing era band this is. Like the trumpet lead and the woodwinds in unison.  

7 - Ah shit, I have this album. B3 player hitting the bass notes too. Love it. Is it one of those Patton/Green/Vick combos? (guitar is comping now so I'm not sure it's Green) Maybe it's Young/Benson/H. Morgan from Heaven on Earth? New fave of the bunch. Sucks I can't name the tune or who's playing because this song is familiar.

8 -  Violin & clarinet? Wow. Love the breakdown when the bass solo starts. 

9 - Familiar tune, can't name it. Great intro. Subtle intensity. Another great tune in this set. 

10 - Nice call and response b/w the sax & piano. 

11 - Sounds a bit like Tyner but I'm not sure. Nice duo track. 

12 - No idea who this is, but it's a good groove. Is that Hubbard on trumpet? 

13 - Oh yeah, this is a sultry summertime groove. Miles' Minnie - and I know this b/c I recently picked up that re-release of the Complete On the Corner box. This song stuck out b/c it's completely unexpected from that band at this time (at least for me). An unusual Miles track, but I'm glad it exists b/c it's awesome. Should be on regular radio rotation. How could anyone not like this?

14 - More strings/violin. Oh, this is a standard - dammit, I can't name it. Like the piano, not the strings so much. Better when the drums and bass kick in. I feel like I've heard this before, maybe recently, and I might actually have the album but I'm stumped. 

15 - Long intro sound a bit forced. Get to it folks...but if that bass player is doing an arco to get that sound (didgeridoo esque) it's pretty cool. Sounds kind of like a drummer's composition, maybe one of those from a Black Saint album. Cyrille maybe? 

16 - Take 5, with a guitar...Live perhaps? Fan-freaking-tastic. From the Hall/Desmond sets maybe? 

Thanks for putting this together!

Edited by Dub Modal

Going to take advantage of a window here, first-ish impression.

TRACK ONE - "Serenade In Blue", sounds like it wants to be Heath Brothers/Jimmy Heath, but not that serious, almost sounds like Grover on soprano. Almost. Leaves me wanting...something, everything? Probably really good players all, but, nothing there, sorry.

TRACK TWO - No, you weren't.

TRACK THREE - Nope.

TRACK FOUR - Ok, I get it, country players can play jazz. But the time on this is pissing me off, it doesn't swing in either a country or a jazz way, and the only ones who have a sense of being organic are the fiddle players. And ok, that is not how the head goes, nor is there a convincing case being made for it going this way instead. The fiddle players, though, they got the right thing going on. Everybody else, some other record, maybe, just not this one.

TRACK FIVE - Didn't Shearing do it like this, is that his riff? Or Brubeck?This sounds like a country player too, but this swings in a jazz way, the guitarist has an accent, but is fluent in the language. Not feeling the vibes, though. Guitarist "gets" jazz, the vibist is just playing at it. Plus, the whole "Baroque" thing....never again, ok?

TRACK SIX - Charlie Barnett? Some weird mix between "Caravan" and "Cirribiribin"...oh wow, that's Willie Smith, so I have no idea past that. Can't get past it being such a derivative tune, but the playing itself is sounds or better,.

TRACK SEVEN - that shouldn't be anybody besides Ronnie Cuber, but if it is, has sounds older and a little less solid in his sound than he used to. Then again, we all get old if we're lucky (hopefully it's luck and not punishment...). Not sure about the band, it's definitely a retro thing, but it's not geeky about it or anything.  Nice record, actually.

TRACK EIGHT - That sure sounds like a Chico Hamilton record! And with good reason. I wonder how this record would strike people who had no awareness of the OG Quintet or their sounds in general. I dig it, there's a certain "corniness" built into it, what they might call "irony" today. that might get lost, but maybe not. I love me some chico Hamilton, evern the bad records, of which this is certainly not one. But crap, what if they could have gotten Jim Hall!!!!!! https://www.discogs.com/The-Original-Chico-Hamilton-Quintet-Reunion/release/1805811

TRACK NINE - Not feeling this one, but it is masterful playing.

TRACK TEN - Took me a few second to pick up on it, but that's Randy & Billy. I need to play that record more than I have. It came out at a time where I didn't have the time to go deep on any single record, but hell, listen to this, one should go deep on this record.

TRACK ELEVEN - That whole post-Now He Sings...thing has worn itself out for me, has for a while now, but this sounds honest enough. Bassist sounds like one of those low-action guys, has the speed but not the deep sound. It's a tradeoff, a choice, no wrong answers. If I had hear this 35-40 years ago, I would have been more taken than I am now.

TRACK TWELVE - FUSION!!!!!! I'd love for this to be some unreleased Billy Cobham demo, but pretty sure it's not. But that could be Woody Shaw from his west coast sojourn? Don't think it's Freddie, Freddie was not making records like this by the time this would have been made. I love it though, it's just good energy and good playing, no stunts. People don't ever pay attention to how early fusion and early bebop both would sometimes go for playing fast js7ut to prove to themselves that they could. That's a legit thing to do.

TRACK THIRTEEN - I first heard this song on a set (tree?) of post-Fortune Miles bootlegs, and they played it just a tad slower there, built it a lot more. But never really knew the name of it until years later, and then, ok, yeah, THAT makes sense. But it's a CREAT tune and hopefully someday there's an official/cordinated rel;ease of that band, Miles was still evolving, and hearing how they did this one live, yeah, it's a treat. This one could have replaced "Maiysha" as the "cool pop song" in the bood for the middle 70s if the band would have gone that long. Sam Morrison, whatever happened to that guy? Is he the one who turned to tennis instead of music?

TRACK FOURTEEN -  Sam Jones, "Holy Land", and this was a record I had to sleuth out (the song/band is pretty much obvious, but with a string quartet?!?!?!?!?!). I am curious! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Minds

TRACK FIFTEEN - Sounds like Hannibal wanting to be Maynard, or vice-versa. Oh, now we're going to "burn" on Soimpressionwhats changes...this sounds like it might have been recorded digitally, early digital. Or some super-fi technology. Sorry, but a worse recording might have actually been better for the music. Sounds a bit stunt-y and it's NOT Fusion.

TRACK SIXTEEN - Still haven't gotten to the Mosiac...but this is a nudge in that direction for sure!

16 tracks is a lot to listen to and a lot to type about. Listening I can do, typing, not so well. But there was some good stuff here, so, typing came easily(ish). Thank you!

Providing my responses without looking at what others have set down.

1.        Some standard.  “Getting Sentimental over You”?  Nice mainstream stuff, but can’t make a guess. 

2.  “Born to be Blue.”  Singer does sound familiar, but just don’t know.

3.        Ralph Towner and Gary Burton.  I believe it’s “The Donkey Jamboree” from Slide Show.  This may be one of my favorite duo records or all time—really fine throughout, and this is a fun track!  Maybe there’s an overdub here, but Towner could probably produce two sounds at once.

4.         A Bird tune.  “Is that Billie’s Bounce?”  Some serious hillbilly twang.  And now fiddles take over!  Pretty enjoyable, whoever it is. Are they country musicians playing jazz? 

5.        “All the Things You Are.”  I’m sure that’s Gary Burton and Hank Garland. I’ve heard a couple of tracks from the record before, which some claim to be a real classic.  I think I need to hear the whole thing, and I might agree.

6.        This sounds like Juan Tizol and a tune similar to “Caravan.”  It could be the Ellington Orchestra, or perhaps an offshoot. Then again, that sounds like Webster, or perhaps Gonsalves. Sounds like Hodges too.

7.        This is certainly organ and guitar driven soul jazz.  And now we get a thick baritone. It’s good stuff, though I’m guessing it’s relatively modern stuff…guys emulating Grant Green, Big John Patton, early Benson, etc. Maybe Joey DeFrancesco. And I know this tune…I know it…know it. “Coming Home Baby”?

8.        Nice little relaxed  piece, even pop-oriented.  Kind of sounds like Ron Carter on bass.  Given the prominence, it’s likely his date.  I’ve heard plenty of Carter leader dates, but not this one…so it may not be him.

Edited by Milestones

9.         Decent tenor ballad…no guesses.

10.         Randy Weston with Billy Harper.  I think it’s “Blues to Senegal” From Roots of the Blues, the last great Weston record that I know of.  You can’t go wrong with Weston and Harper.

11.         Some cool piano work, and what a fine pulsing bass.  This one has me quite intrigued.  The pianist is certainly Tyner-influenced.  Maybe Eddie Gomez on bass. 

12.         Some funky stuff…no guesses here.  Not quite my thing, but these sound like talented players.

13.         Seems too much like smooth jazz…sorry.

14.         Man, I know this piece, though I don’t think I know this version.  A very intriguing mix.  Has a bit of a Blue Note sound, then you have strings (modest number, I think) used quite well.   Now a bass solo taking center stage. Good piano solo. Subtle drum solo.  It’s a Blakey number, I’m thinking.  The strings sure give it a different quality.  Really nice piece!

15.         And now for something completely different.  Thinking Art Ensemble of Chicago. Is it just trumpet-bass-drums?  Doesn’t quite sound like Lester Bowie.  Opens and closes pretty wacky, but rather straight in the middle.

16.     “Take Five,” the jazz tune everyone knows. Not Brubeck.  It sounds like Paul Desmond with Jim Hall.

Overall, a great BFT.  I really like your choices, and I’m hoping someone figures out #14.

#13 is Miles?  Really?  My least favorite track on the BFT, and it's Miles? 

To be fair, Miles did have some forgettable moments.

#1 - I liked this until the soprano took 'flight' - note running on a soprano just grates these ears, sorry.

#3 - Coral Reefer Band? :g

#4 - Billie Jo's Bounce? Somehow I like this, though not something I'd play often by any stretch. Would have liked to hear this tune played by Gatemouth Brown but I think he always chose an Ellington or Basie number for his jazz tracks(?).

#7 - Best track so far but I have to say I just really, really prefer tenor to baritone on this type of organ soul jazz tune.

#10 - per most everybody, this is Weston and Harper, and I must say that my curiosity is piqued for the rest of the album, so thanks for that.

#11 - My friend Mr. Felser said he loves this, so in keeping with binding precedent, I do ... not.  :g  

#14 - I am unfamiliar with Holy Land played with strings, but that's Cedar for sure (the kind of piano I far prefer to #11).

#16 - I haven't pulled the trigger on the Desmond Mosaic but this makes me want to figure out how to pay for it sooner than I planned. thanks for the sneak peek.

Thanks for an interesting compilation.

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Maybe a presenter's response to participant's responses helps generate a WEE bit more discussion?

Nah, not right now.  There were a lot of correct responses, and that would take all the fun from those who still might participate.

Let's give it a few more days.  Maybe others want to participate.

Dub Modal: As for that bari on track 7: It does have that old time greasy feel, doesn't it?  But it was only recorded recently.  Your guesses were really good, but none of them were correct.

14 minutes ago, mjzee said:

Let's give it a few more days.  Maybe others want to participate.

Dub Modal: As for that bari on track 7: It does have that old time greasy feel, doesn't it?  But it was only recorded recently.  Your guesses were really good, but none of them were correct.

Nice...I'm now wondering about Tony Kofi. Hmmmmmm....

OK, let's generate some excitement:

On 10/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, BillF said:

Track 7: Cuber?

True!

Track 9: Griffin?

True!

Track 11: Tyner??

No!  (Wrong gender, BTW.)

Track 16: Desmond/Bickert?

On 10/1/2020 at 3:52 PM, JSngry said:

TRACK SIXTEEN - Still haven't gotten to the Mosiac...but this is a nudge in that direction for sure!

Oh yeah.

On 10/1/2020 at 2:49 PM, Dub Modal said:

16 - Take 5, with a guitar...Live perhaps? Fan-freaking-tastic. From the Hall/Desmond sets maybe?

See above.

On 10/1/2020 at 11:27 AM, JSngry said:

I was just thinking to myself we're long overdue to have Miles Davis on a blindfold test.

TRACK THIRTEEN - I first heard this song on a set (tree?) of post-Fortune Miles bootlegs, and they played it just a tad slower there, built it a lot more. But never really knew the name of it until years later, and then, ok, yeah, THAT makes sense. But it's a CREAT tune and hopefully someday there's an official/cordinated rel;ease of that band, Miles was still evolving, and hearing how they did this one live, yeah, it's a treat. This one could have replaced "Maiysha" as the "cool pop song" in the bood for the middle 70s if the band would have gone that long. Sam Morrison, whatever happened to that guy? Is he the one who turned to tennis instead of music?

Yup.

How could anyone not like this?

Talk to Milestones!  :D

On 10/1/2020 at 0:19 PM, felser said:

1 – Monk cover.  Well enough done, but generally I only like Monk by Monk (and I don’t like “Blue Monk”  by anybody).

1 - Monk tune...sounds more like a modern recording and the production is very radio friendly. Almost smooth jazz-ish in how this sounds.

Not Monk, but I agree, it mysteriously sounds Monk-ish (something the pianist is doing).

10 – Works for me.    Randy Weston?   I know he did a duet album with Billy Harper in the past few years, but I’ve never heard it.  Is this from that?

TRACK TEN - Took me a few second to pick up on it, but that's Randy & Billy. I need to play that record more than I have. It came out at a time where I didn't have the time to go deep on any single record, but hell, listen to this, one should go deep on this record.

On 10/2/2020 at 8:33 PM, Milestones said:

10.         Randy Weston with Billy Harper.  I think it’s “Blues to Senegal” From Roots of the Blues, the last great Weston record that I know of.  You can’t go wrong with Weston and Harper.

Yup.

14 – Sounds like something John Lewis cooked up when moonlighting from the MJQ.  I like it.   Good bass player (Percy Heath?) and good drummer.  Another one of those standards my head can’t place today, but I believe it is likely a John Lewis composition.

It does have a John Lewis vibe, but no.

16 – Well, it certainly sounds like Paul Desmond playing “Take Five”, I assume from the 70’s live recordings with Ed Bickert, Don Thompson, and Jerry Fuller.  Great stuff of course.  And certainly the rhythm section brought a new excitement.  This times in shorter than the version on the original album – is it an alternate take from the Mosaic set?

Yup, yup, yup.

12 - No idea who this is, but it's a good groove. Is that Hubbard on trumpet?

TRACK TWELVE - FUSION!!!!!! I'd love for this to be some unreleased Billy Cobham demo, but pretty sure it's not. But that could be Woody Shaw from his west coast sojourn? Don't think it's Freddie, Freddie was not making records like this by the time this would have been made. I love it though, it's just good energy and good playing, no stunts. People don't ever pay attention to how early fusion and early bebop both would sometimes go for playing fast js7ut to prove to themselves that they could. That's a legit thing to do.

Nope; a younger generation (but an old turk by now, I guess).

15 - Long intro sound a bit forced. Get to it folks...but if that bass player is doing an arco to get that sound (didgeridoo esque) it's pretty cool. Sounds kind of like a drummer's composition, maybe one of those from a Black Saint album. Cyrille maybe?

Nope.  I think you'll be surprised by the drummer.

TRACK FIVE - Didn't Shearing do it like this, is that his riff? Or Brubeck?This sounds like a country player too, but this swings in a jazz way, the guitarist has an accent, but is fluent in the language. Not feeling the vibes, though. Guitarist "gets" jazz, the vibist is just playing at it. Plus, the whole "Baroque" thing....never again, ok?

This is actually very accurate; good ears.

TRACK SIX - Charlie Barnett? Some weird mix between "Caravan" and "Cirribiribin"...oh wow, that's Willie Smith, so I have no idea past that. Can't get past it being such a derivative tune, but the playing itself is sounds or better,.

It is Willie Smith (not the leader, though).  It does seem to be derivative (that's what struck me), but there's a reason why.

TRACK SEVEN - that shouldn't be anybody besides Ronnie Cuber, but if it is, has sounds older and a little less solid in his sound than he used to. Then again, we all get old if we're lucky (hopefully it's luck and not punishment...). Not sure about the band, it's definitely a retro thing, but it's not geeky about it or anything.  Nice record, actually.

Correct!

TRACK EIGHT - That sure sounds like a Chico Hamilton record! And with good reason. I wonder how this record would strike people who had no awareness of the OG Quintet or their sounds in general. I dig it, there's a certain "corniness" built into it, what they might call "irony" today. that might get lost, but maybe not. I love me some chico Hamilton, evern the bad records, of which this is certainly not one. But crap, what if they could have gotten Jim Hall!!!!!! https://www.discogs.com/The-Original-Chico-Hamilton-Quintet-Reunion/release/1805811

Correct!

TRACK FOURTEEN -  Sam Jones, "Holy Land", and this was a record I had to sleuth out (the song/band is pretty much obvious, but with a string quartet?!?!?!?!?!). I am curious! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Minds

Yup!  Weird, right?

On 10/2/2020 at 7:58 PM, Milestones said:

3.        Ralph Towner and Gary Burton.  I believe it’s “The Donkey Jamboree” from Slide Show.  This may be one of my favorite duo records or all time—really fine throughout, and this is a fun track!  Maybe there’s an overdub here, but Towner could probably produce two sounds at once.

Yup!

5.        “All the Things You Are.”  I’m sure that’s Gary Burton and Hank Garland. I’ve heard a couple of tracks from the record before, which some claim to be a real classic.  I think I need to hear the whole thing, and I might agree.

Correct!

6.        This sounds like Juan Tizol and a tune similar to “Caravan.”  It could be the Ellington Orchestra, or perhaps an offshoot. Then again, that sounds like Webster, or perhaps Gonsalves. Sounds like Hodges too.

It is Juan Tizol.

7.        This is certainly organ and guitar driven soul jazz.  And now we get a thick baritone. It’s good stuff, though I’m guessing it’s relatively modern stuff…guys emulating Grant Green, Big John Patton, early Benson, etc. Maybe Joey DeFrancesco. And I know this tune…I know it…know it. “Coming Home Baby”?

The tune is Coming Home Baby.  The rest...well, you're in the ballpark.

8.        Nice little relaxed  piece, even pop-oriented.  Kind of sounds like Ron Carter on bass.  Given the prominence, it’s likely his date.  I’ve heard plenty of Carter leader dates, but not this one…so it may not be him.

Not Ron Carter.

11.         Some cool piano work, and what a fine pulsing bass.  This one has me quite intrigued.  The pianist is certainly Tyner-influenced.  Maybe Eddie Gomez on bass. 

It is Eddie Gomez (not the leader).

14.         Man, I know this piece, though I don’t think I know this version.  A very intriguing mix.  Has a bit of a Blue Note sound, then you have strings (modest number, I think) used quite well.   Now a bass solo taking center stage. Good piano solo. Subtle drum solo.  It’s a Blakey number, I’m thinking.  The strings sure give it a different quality.  Really nice piece!

Again, you're in the ballpark.  The composition did appear on a Blakey Blue Note, under a slightly different name.

On 10/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, Dan Gould said:

#14 - I am unfamiliar with Holy Land played with strings, but that's Cedar for sure (the kind of piano I far prefer to #11).

It is Cedar Walton (not the leader).