Melvin Rhyne question

mikeweil

I found this CD in the Tom Lord disco but cannot find it anywhere else. Does some kind board member happen to own it? 

I need composer credits, track timings, and location and date of the recording. I'd be grateful for a copy of it, too.

Thanks in advance!

Date: probably 1998
Label: LaDonna
Tracks

Melvin Rhyne (ldr), Jeff Pietrangelo (t), Jack Grassel (g), Melvin Rhyne (key), Andy LoDuca (d)

a.   Nessun Dorma(Composer Unknown)
b.   Loose Change(Melvin Rhyne)
c.   Star Eyes(Don Raye, Gene DePaul)
d.   Last Dance Of The Samurai(Composer Unknown)
e.   Sweet Melancholy(Composer Unknown)
f.   Resolution(Composer Unknown)
g.   The Wind Beneath My Wings(Composer Unknown)
All titles on: LaDonna CD013148044287 — Tracks
Edited by mikeweil

And "The Wind Beneath My Wings" is the big Bette Midler hit written by Larry Henley.  May he rest in peace, but he has been a prime minor annonayance in my life for well over 50 years, as he was the lead singer on the Newbeats "Bread and Butter".     

The guys on this album all seem to have been part of the Milwaukee scene. Trumpeter Jeff Pietrangelo died in 2013 at age 60.

I found Jack Grassel`s webpage. I will try to contact him.

p.s. Jack Grassel replied and told me several interesting things ..... 

Edited by mikeweil

18 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Well, I can give you one composer credit:  "Nessun Dorma" is by Giacomo Puccini

I mean, this is pretty "basic knowledge", isn't it? and "the wind beneath my wings", a google search gets you in literally seconds...who puts this data up like this? Lord himself?

Lord never states track composers - one of the great disadvantages of his site. 

I rely on the BRIAN database basic set of tunes, which is correct in 90% of all cases. You have no idea how often some titles were used. 

I know a lot of classical music, but dislike 19th century Italian opera. And I do not have the time to google every unidentified tune title. Not to think of what ads I would receive if I used google - use startpage. It does not track your searches.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That said, guitarist Jack Grassel answered my questions, told me some nice things about Rhyne, and led me to a copy for sale. I am really looking forward to this disc, as Rhyne played a set of keyboards instead of a B3 - during his years in Milwaukee he didn't even own one, I've been told, and the instruments provided for gigs often were out of tune or partly defective. As Grassel puts it: "The main idea of this CD was for the 3 of us to enable and push Mel out of the "traditional jazz organ player" box others always put him in."

It was recorded in 2003, not 1998 as the Lord disco states.

Case closed. My Rhyne disco will be on jazzdiscography.com in a few days.

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Lord never states track composers - one of the great disadvantages of his site. 

I rely on the BRIAN database basic set of tunes, which is correct in 90% of all cases. You have no idea how often some titles were used. 

I know a lot of classical music, but dislike 19th century Italian opera. And I do not have the time to google every unidentified tune title. Not to think of what ads I would receive if I used google - use startpage. It does not track your searches.

---------------------------------------------------------------

That said, guitarist Jack Grassel answered my questions, told me some nice things about Rhyne, and led me to a copy for sale. I am really looking forward to this disc, as Rhyne played a set of keyboards instead of a B3 - during his years in Milwaukee he didn't even own one, I've been told, and the instruments provided for gigs often were out of tune or partly defective. As Grassel puts it: "The main idea of this CD was for the 3 of us to enable and push Mel out of the "traditional jazz organ player" box others always put him in."

It was recorded in 2003, not 1998 as the Lord disco states.

Case closed. My Rhyne disco will be on jazzdiscography.com in a few days.

Are there more copies available from the same source? I would like to pick this up as well.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...