Jay McShann/St Louis Mood arranger

Mark Stryker

Here's another question:

Does anyone have a release that tells us who did the arrangement of "St. Louis Mood" that Bird plays with the Jay McSchann Orchestra at the Savoy Ballroom in February 1942? Plosin tells us that it's a McShann composition, but I don't believe it's his arrangement.

Thanks as always.

Charlie Parker Young Bird V. 1 and 2 1940-1944 credits the arrangement to McShann.  (The arrangement of "Swingmatism" from the same broadcast, a McShann-William J. Scott composition, is attributed to Scott alone.  Perhaps he or somebody else had an uncredited hand in "St. Louis Mood," if you think the arrangement doesn't sound evocative of McShann himself?)

Edited by ghost of miles

Hey Mark, fun Indiana jazz note about that February 1942 Savoy broadcast--is that the first McShann orchestra airshot we have with Jimmy Coe playing baritone while Parker was still there?  I think it might be.  Coe's also present on the July 1942 McShann Decca sides with Parker, though he doesn't solo on either of these dates.  I always enjoyed his stories about his brief crossing of paths with Bird in the McShann band.  

Edited by ghost of miles

38 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

Hey Mark, fun Indiana jazz note about that February 1942 Savoy broadcast--is that the first McShann orchestra airshot we have with Jimmy Coe playing baritone while Parker was still there?  I think it might be.  Coe's also present on the July 1942 McShann Decca sides with Parker, though he doesn't solo on either of these dates.  I always enjoyed his stories about his brief crossing of paths with Bird in the McShann band.  

Yes, Jimmy Coe is playing baritone sax on this Savoy broadcast. 

There are some slippery saxophone lines streaked with triplet -- it's  little more modern than I thought McShann might write, but maybe it's his chart anyway.

11 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

There are some slippery saxophone lines streaked with triplet -- it's  little more modern than I thought McShann might write, but maybe it's his chart anyway.

Which is why I was asking to be reminded if Bird payed lead alto in that band...