Brotzmann Octet / Tentet box back out

elo omo

1 hour ago, elo omo said:

Perhaps some clarification is in order. A few years ago, Bruno was ready to throw in the towel. He didn't, with some encouragement from friends, one of which works at Orbit. Orbit listed a few of the titles at that point. When Bruno moved to FL, a good portion of the inventory went to Orbit's warehouse instead of the dumpster. At the same time, Bruno's sole distributor went out of business and that inventory also went to Orbit. That's when Orbit listed all the available Okka titles. Bruno's website has not been updated since 2014. An Orbit friend is helping him work on that, and it should be up and running "correctly" soon. During the sorting and organizing of the inventory, some of the missing CDs were found for 12022 (the Brotzmann box). He had paper and 2 of the discs, but the 3rd disc was missing - that's why it has been gone for so long, but those have now been found, and yes they are real. Orbit also initiated wholesale sales to Dusty Groove in Chicago, and the Catalytic Sound website (Vandermark). Neither are carrying the full catalogue, so Orbit is the only place to find what's avaiable at this time. Soon, the Okka site will also be "correct". Bruno is hoping to make some of the out-of-stock titles available again, and is even thinking of doing a few titles on LP. Hope that helps.

O.K. The Orbit site is a little bit of a "hodge podge" to me. I could only find 4 Okka releases. Maybe that's all there is.

Edited by jlhoots

22 hours ago, elo omo said:

if you enter the full Okkadisk in the search bar, you'll find 82

some of my earliest international online purchases were with Okka.  It was always a very friendly experience, glad to see this resurrection

do you know if there's any plan to make downloads available of the catalogue? Sadly international postage charges have made purchasing physical product a pretty unrealistic option nowadays.

8 hours ago, mjazzg said:

some of my earliest international online purchases were with Okka.  It was always a very friendly experience, glad to see this resurrection

do you know if there's any plan to make downloads available of the catalogue? Sadly international postage charges have made purchasing physical product a pretty unrealistic option nowadays.

Bruno is currently hammering out a deal with Catalytic via Bandcamp for downloads on the items carried by the Catalytic group. So...not everything. There are quite a few available right now. They are searchable by label, but it's listed as Okka Disk.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot how terrific this recorded music was. After seeing them live it was very hard for me to listen to the recordings as they seemed to pale in comparison to the 2 incredible shows I saw up close.

Mars Williams & McPhee’s pocket trumpet adds a bunch and they loose compositions fit the band well. Often loosely swinging with wonderful dual drumming from Drake & Zerang.

Brotzmann's Foolish Infinity live is especially good. Bishop’s Divide by Zero has a great slow build to a cinematic climax.

1 hour ago, Steve Reynolds said:

I forgot how terrific this recorded music was. After seeing them live it was very hard for me to listen to the recordings as they seemed to pale in comparison to the 2 incredible shows I saw up close.

Mars Williams & McPhee’s pocket trumpet adds a bunch and they loose compositions fit the band well. Often loosely swinging with wonderful dual drumming from Drake & Zerang.

Brotzmann's Foolish Infinity live is especially good. Bishop’s Divide by Zero has a great slow build to a cinematic climax.

Nice thoughts. I also revisited the box off the back of this thread and found great music in it, I'd forgotten just how good and varied a collection it is