Rachel Beausoleil
"Brazz"

Impacting: September 22 2020
cancon-full.png

Format(s): Jazz, Latin, World Music

Brazz, Where Bossa Nova Meets Jazz 

Canadian singer, Rachel Beausoleil launches worldly jazz album Brazz

Ottawa, ON – September 7, 2020

On September 13, 2020, Ottawa-based singer Rachel Beausoleil celebrated her birthday with the launch on her new CD Brazz. In duo, trio, and quintet formation, Rachel performs classics from the Brazilian popular music repertoire.

Rosa Passos describes Rachel’s voice as having a “beautiful timbre”.  She goes on to say [Rachel’s] vibrato, is used with discretion and at the right moment, without too much exaggeration.”

Rachel’s vocal style has also been described as “soaring and silky,” “intense,” “vivacious,” and “dramatic.”

Brazz (2020) is Rachel’s third worldly jazz CD.  Standard Media’s Chris Saracino calls the album “top-shelf material.”

“This is more than just a CD to me. It is the culmination of a journey. I wrote a PhD thesis on Brazilian music. People think you can either make music, or study it. But studying it made me a better musician. I didn’t work on myself in order to do the PhD. I did the PhD to find myself and my music.” says Rachel.  “It was so much fun to record Carmen Miranda’s Tico Tico no fubá. Initially arranged for our live shows, it quickly became an audience favourite, so we recorded it. It is fun to play and sing all the leaps in such a fast tempo.”

Garry Elliott (guitar) and Rachel perform Antonio Carlos Jobim and Chico Buarque’s “Portrait in White and Black” as a duo. Percussionist Liz Hanson joins them to form a trio on 4 tracks.

The remaining 5 songs are performed by Sol da capital, Rachel’s Brazilian jazz group. It includes Angel Araos (percussion), Jasmin Lalande (woodwinds), Sílvio Módolo (electric bass), and Evandro Gracelli (guitars).

Brazz was primarily recorded in Ontario at Morning Anthem Studios, by Normand Glaude. Normand did all the mixing and mastering, including the addition of Gracelli’s parts, that were recorded in São Paulo, Brazil.

Rachel has two previous worldly jazz albums. Close to My Heart (2002), features veteran Canadian guitarist-composer Roddy Ellias. The Dawning (2009), features Ottawa pianist Yves Laroche and bassist Tom Posner, who is now based in Paris. Rachel is also featured as a conductor and vocalist on Elise Letourneau’s Requiem for Fourteen Roses (2014).

Rachel Beausoleil is a French-Canadian worldly jazz chanteuse.  She is known for her love of languages, world musics, and her on-stage drama flair.  She performs in 6 different languages.  Since the late 1980s, Rachel has been part of many vocal groups, jazz and Latin combos, and has performed in both North and South America.  She’s been trained by jazz legends such as Rosa Passos, JUNO winner Jeri Brown, and classical bass-baritone Ingemar Korjus

To learn more about Rachel Beausoleil please visit www.rachelbeausoleil.ca.

icon_facebook_48x48.png icon_instagram_48x48.png

###

Title Artist Time    

Quebra-mar Rachel Beausoleil 06:19 cancon.png  
  Ouça Rachel Beausoleil 05:40 cancon.png  
  Canção do sal Rachel Beausoleil 05:45 cancon.png  
  Última forma Rachel Beausoleil 03:55 cancon.png  
  Retrato em Branco e Preto Rachel Beausoleil 03:47 cancon.png  
  As Rosas Não Falam Rachel Beausoleil 05:17 cancon.png  
  Construção Rachel Beausoleil 05:59 cancon.png  
  O Bêbabo e a Equilibrista Rachel Beausoleil 05:28 cancon.png  
  Carinhoso Rachel Beausoleil 03:56 cancon.png