Jackie Myers Girl Next Door 03:58    
  Jackie Myers Take the Time 05:06    
  Jackie Myers The Worst Part 04:03    

Jackie Myers

New live album Clementine out now!

featuring “The Sentence”

Impacting Now!

image-d2592f9109ad471cb238c385e7b0c6f7-f

Take it from Jackie Myers; there’s nothing quite like the warmth of a crowd. The vocalist, pianist, and musical director of nationally syndicated NPR program 12th Street Jump has the hard evidence of two live jazz albums made in the venues of her adopted home of Kansas City with her instrumental outfit The Myers Swingset and the recently released Clementine under her own name. Recorded at Black Dolphin, Clementine features a sweet crop of accompanists ranging from the Grammy nominated to local legends and the added bonus of Myers’ soulful and earthy vocals front and center.

Leaping right to it, album opener “I Get High” is a pick-me-up piece that puts everything into place from the first crack of the snare. Myers may sing that the “blues don’t stick out anymore,” but the colorful horns of Trent Austin on trumpet and Brad Gregory on saxophone sure do. The solid slow jam “The Sentence” offers a signature mixture of Myers’ soul, jazz and modern R&B influences. Performed with beautiful balance, singing and soloing talent are not exclusive when she makes the segue on her piano midway through the song, followed by a few mesmerizing measures from guitarist Rod Fleeman. Originally written as lyrics for a composition by collaborator Matt Hopper, Myers repurposed “Wait” into the bluesy build up heard here on Clementine. “There are several songs on this album that I would consider making a studio version of,” says Myers. “However with this tune, even if I were to do take after take and make it absolutely spotless and studio quality - I don't think I would necessarily create a better version in my eyes, or should I say ears? There's a feeling and beauty to this recording that I'm very happy with.” Pairing a pet name with some swing, the title track is framed as a phone call from the road while Austin and Gregory aid in the convincing appeal of the chorus to “get it right.” In this case, the conversation is one-sided apart from keys, trumpet and the fluttering notes of Fleeman’s guitar. 

Although clocking in as the shortest song on the album, “I’ve Got A Plan” is full of pep and purpose. Hitting a higher register in the chorus, Myers’ ambition must have been emboldened by the evening and the magic of making a live record. On “Girl Next Door” major credit is given to the rhythm section of Ben Tervort on bass and Todd Strait on drums. That starting snapping beat just as quickly crosses an equator of sound and then right back again - a true trip of a tune. “Take The Time” combines sway and soul into a drifting ballad. Myers draws comparisons to Carole King, with Austin and Gregory sweeping in to add some spice to the sentimentality. Perhaps humorously, the band save “The Worst Part” for the end. All jokes aside, the choice closes out the night on an upbeat number about carrying on and serves as a supreme send-off.

Clementine was made possible with help from audio engineer Ethan Erisman. Mixing and mastering was completed in Austin, Texas by Charlie Kramsky and Nick Landis.

“Jackie Myers becomes even more remarkable the longer she is here. Her new live album, Clementine, charts and celebrates some of that progression. It’s an engaging—even fun—album. (If I were you, I’d get it.)” - Kevin Rabas, JAM Magazine

The intersection of the singer-songwriter style and Kansas City jazz may be unconventional, but Myers’ eclecticism makes Clementine her most convincing and outright enjoyable album.” - Bill Brownlee, Plastic Sax