For completists only....

Pim

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, sgcim said:

A friend of mine used to go to clubs with a friend who had a small cassette recorder, and they used to record the entire gig. You can hear the waitress asking them what they wanted to eat or drink, but other than that, they never said a word. His friend with the recorder passed away a few years ago, so he 'inherited' all the tapes.

He never sold any of them commercially, so no one was getting screwed financially.

I forgot to mention Wes. I think I have everything he ever recorded. What was on the un-issued portions of Ronnie Scott's? Hope things are okay in Germany, Holger. Keep well.

Where are the tapes now? Does he have a list?

12 hours ago, HutchFan said:

What does that mean, Dan?  Are they some sort of apparition or specter?!?!  ;) 

I consider them a figment of George Butler's malfeasance.  Excuse me, Dr. George Butler's malfeasance. :g

**************************************************************************************************************************

Can't believe I forgot this one since it was only this year I discovered him:  Saxophonist Arnold Sterling.

He made his career in Baltimore, and was close with Stitt. In the early 80s he joined Jimmy McGriff's group for about 4 or 5 LPs, the best of which was The Groover, as Sterling is the only horn on that one and he tears it up.  That is on JAM records, where he also got his sole opportunity to record as a leader.  And then ... his appearance on the larger scene was over, and he kept playing in Baltimore.

You should seriously check him out. I'm glad I did and none of the records he is on will cost very much.

Edited by Dan Gould

I was a completist since I started to listen to music, as I was with books, but I understood later on that owning is different then knowing so I realized I will never know everything, no man can’t, so I gave up my completist habit and focused myself on the pure pleasure of listening. In my collection there are some holes but I am fine with them. 

57 minutes ago, sgcim said:

He's still got them. I don't think he has a list, but it was all at clubs in NY.

What a potential treasure ... audience recordings without loud talking. You should talk to him about the dispensation of those tapes and what he actually has.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 2:00 PM, Stonewall15 said:

I collect rare LPs by label. I almost have a complete collection of the Transition label. I still search for the long lost TRLP-18 "Jazz Down Beat" by Jay Migliori. This LP is shown in the Lord Discography. 

Edited by Stonewall15
correction.

As far as issued recordings go, my namesake (Clifford Thornton), Alan Shorter, Bill Dixon, Kees Hazevoet, and Ric Colbeck, and almost complete on Frank Wright (just a couple of Penck CDs I need to get). Fairly close on Burton Greene, Charles Gayle and Glenn Spearman. I think I have several holes with Sunny Murray to plug but I'll get to them eventually. Ayler is nearly done although I think I'm missing a couple of bootlegs. Lacy has a few LP holes but the CD era is a bit less "complete" (this is an issue w/ Cecil as well -- all the LPs, but later CDs not nearly enough). Thankfully and hopefully there's time to do this -- I never think of it as a particular project, but something that just happens over time.

Edited by clifford_thornton

A few years ago I had every Ran Blake recording, but I've fallen behind on his last several releases. I think that's about as close as I've got. I am at over 100 Lacy albums, but that's not even 50%. If I think about musicians where I run close to 100% I guess Jimmy Giuffre, Gunter Christmann, John Carter, Julius Hemphill, Fred Anderson, and Kidd Jordan come to mind first. 

I don't know that I could ever find the motivation to get *every* single thing by any musician above a handful of releases. There's always a few things in there that don't pique my interest enough to own, or there are simply far too many to try. I do, however, try to complete certain label runs. I have every Braxton, Koglmann, Cecil, and McPhee release on Hat Hut, every Andrew Hill and Jackie McLean on Blue Note, and every Cecil on FMP. I am also gunning towards a complete catalog of FMP CDs-- 100 and change down out of the run of ~150. And speaking of Christmann and FMP, I would love to have every Edition Explico title, but that will be an uphill battle (I have a little over half currently).

3 hours ago, Hoppy T. Frog said:

Anthony Braxton and Cecil Taylor (at least official releases). 

Braxton's Leo releases of the 90s and 00s alone feels like a lifetime commitment. 

On 11/10/2020 at 5:04 AM, Ken Dryden said:

There is one Fats Waller title issued by a collector who lives in Thailand that you might not have. Let me look up the title.

I am pretty sure that I have all of McCoy Tyner's recordings as a leader, co-leader or soloist on Milestone, Impulse!, Blue Note, Half Note, Timeless, Who's Who In Jazz and some other things.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:16 PM, Jim Duckworth said:

Not through personal dilligence, but rather by purchasing a series of JSP boxes I believe I have everything by Fats Waller and Django Reinhardt. The closest I've come to researching, searching, and acquiring close to a full discography would be Lester Young-but I readily concede that my collection is not complete.

Ken, I guess you are referring to:

cdcover.gif

http://fatswaller.org/fatscd.html

Jim:

In any case, there are plenty of Fats Waller broadcasts and airchecks out of the JSP collection, plus several private recordings, as well as some alternative takes from commercial recordings. So, being a Fats Waller completist is not that easy.

Edited by EKE BBB

Too many space (and probably financial) issues on my side to own it all, but I sure would like to hear the whole oeuvre at least once for some of the mentioned musicians. The CD  and digital archive (Bandcamp) reissue stream of late has brought out a lot of fascinating music for some, for instance Cecil Taylor and Derek Bailey who come to mind.

9 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

cdcover.gif

Jim:

In any case, there are plenty of Fats Waller broadcasts and airchecks out of the JSP collection, plus several private recordings, as well as some alternative takes from commercial recordings. So, being a Fats Waller completist is not that easy.

Yeah, radio broadcasts are the Achylles heel for anybody who wants to be a completist on artists who were active from the 30s to the early 50s. I have over 25 cds worth of Sinatra singing on the radio and an additional 30-cd set of him in speaking roles, and I'm sure there are more.

gregmo

• 1 month later...

Completist Confessions.

First, to define, I sought to have a copy of every track on which the artist performs, including alternates. I favor original recordings over others, and legit over the rest.  I didn't want every issue.  Keep in mind, I used to visit about three record stores a day (with a few geographic exclusions) every day, across 155 countries.  50+ years.  There was tremendous joy in the search and the social interaction it brought about.  (Hard to strike up a conversation with a guy three times or one-third your age in Tchad otherwise.)

Wardell Gray

Archie Shepp (until we wandered apart)

Tchangodei

Winston Mankunku Ngozi

(Rahsaan) Roland Kirk

James Moody (really just 20th Century)

Edited by BeBop

On 10/22/2020 at 4:16 AM, EKE BBB said:

cdcover.gif

Jim:

That is the one I was referring to in my earlier post. Sorry that I missed your reply.

The really rare Ristic 2 LP set from the 1960s of Fats Waller & Friends recorded in his home is all but impossible to find, though I recently ran across a Sounds of Yesteryear CD reissue. I've ordered it and will compare it to the files that someone shared with me of the original set.

The package arrived today and it is another @$%&%$$!!! CDR, sold at a premium price. The hell with both Amazon and the duplicitous UK label Sounds Of Yester Year. Like Acrobat, they aren't worth a damn!

Edited by Ken Dryden

2 hours ago, BeBop said:

Completist Confessions.

Wardell Gray

Archie Shepp (until we wandered apart)

Tchangodei

Winston Mankunku Ngozi

(Rahsaan) Roland Kirk

James Moody (really just 20th Century)

Wow, Shepps discography is quite big. Impressive! Wardell Gray is a huge favoriete of mine. And Tchangodei is a great pianist, not very well known so nice to hear more people follow him.

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

The really rare Ristic 2 LP set from the 1960s of Fats Waller & Friends recorded oin his home is all but impossible to find, though I recently ran across a Sounds of Yesteryear CD reissue. I've ordered it and will compare it to the files that someone shared with me of the original set.

Exactly the same here, Ken. I’ve had a CD-R burn of the Ristic LPs for many years, and have ordered the Sounds of Yesteryear reissue from CD Universe. Still pending to receive it.

4 hours ago, EKE BBB said:

Exactly the same here, Ken. I’ve had a CD-R burn of the Ristic LPs for many years, and have ordered the Sounds of Yesteryear reissue from CD Universe. Still pending to receive it.

Let us know if your order goes through. Last order I made with CD universe never materialized into a shipment and was cancelled. On the site it was in stock. Haven’t used or thought about them since. They used to be my go-to site. 

• 3 weeks later...

Talkin' 'bout completists... I just checked again the list of the artists of whom I own the highest number of discs.

Simple rules: a) boxed sets account for the number of individual discs contained; b) the list only includes leader or coleader discs; c) any format, including digital; bootlegs as well d) overlapping/duplication allowed

Stupid and inaccurate exercise as it is, I always surprise myself when I periodically run it (for example: why on hell do I own so many Sun Ra and Cecil Taylor discs? or who's that "Varios. Recopilaciones"? or how many hundreds of discs haven't I listened to for ages?  :) )

This here's my list:

Cuenta Ellington, Duke (& his Orchestra) 341
Cuenta Varios. Recopilaciones 286
Cuenta Hawkins, Coleman 128
Cuenta Evans, Bill 124
Cuenta Montoliú, Tete 115
Cuenta Gordon, Dexter 99
Cuenta Armstrong, Louis 93
Cuenta Basie, Count (Orchestra) 90
Cuenta Pepper, Art 89
Cuenta Coltrane, John 87
Cuenta Getz, Stan 83
Cuenta Solal, Martial 74
Cuenta Rollins, Sonny 72
Cuenta Monk, Thelonious 72
Cuenta Davis, Miles 69
Cuenta Konitz, Lee 67
Cuenta Young, Lester 61
Cuenta Reinhardt, Django 60
Cuenta Mingus, Charles 58
Cuenta Sims, Zoot 55
Cuenta Parker, Charlie 54
Cuenta Wilson, Teddy 52
Cuenta Gillespie, Dizzy 51
Cuenta Hill, Andrew 51
Cuenta Sun Ra 50
Cuenta Hines, Earl "Fatha" 50
Cuenta Taylor, Cecil 50
Cuenta Baker, Chet 49
Cuenta Webster, Ben 48
Cuenta Stitt, Sony 46
Cuenta Holiday, Billie 46
Cuenta Tatum, Art 45
Cuenta Powell, Bud 44
Cuenta Bley, Paul 39
Cuenta Carter, Benny 39
Cuenta Sutton, Ralph 39
Cuenta Coleman, Ornette 39
Cuenta Hyman, Dick 38
Cuenta Hodges, Johnny 38
Cuenta Garner, Errol 38
Cuenta Waldron, Mal 36
Cuenta Peterson, Oscar 36
Cuenta Morgan, Lee 36
Cuenta Berne, Tim 35
Cuenta Braff, Ruby 35
Cuenta Byrd, Donald 35
Cuenta McLean, Jackie 33
Cuenta Allen, Henry "Red" 33
Cuenta Braxton, Anthony 33
Cuenta Franco, Buddy de 33
Cuenta Byas, Don 32
Cuenta Ammons, Gene 31
Cuenta Grappelli, Stephane 31
Cuenta Dorham, Kenny 31
Cuenta O´Day, Anita 31
Cuenta Fitzgerald, Ella 31
Cuenta Jones, Hank 30
Cuenta Griffin, Johnny 30
Cuenta Adderley, Julian "Cannonball" 29
Cuenta Eldridge, Roy 29
Cuenta Terry, Clark 28
Cuenta Shepp, Archie 28
Cuenta Hawes, Hampton 28
Cuenta Vaughan, Sarah 27
Cuenta Cohn, Al 26
Cuenta Hamilton, Chico 26
Cuenta Mulligan, Gerry 26
Cuenta Bechet, Sidney 26
Cuenta Brookmeyer, Bob 25
Cuenta Farmer, Art 25
Cuenta Kirk, Rahsaan Roland 25
Cuenta Smith, Willie "The Lion" 25
Cuenta Brown, Clifford 25
Cuenta Teagarden, Jack 25
Cuenta Waller, Fats 25

Edited by EKE BBB

I've been avoiding my completist and collecting demons for a long time but need to confront them at some near future point as I enter the final phase of my life and its realities. When you are facing a parent and brother with the virus, home repairs and familial relationships strained by conspiracy theories and deliberate lies. . . the joie de vivre of jazz and other music pursuits begins to lose a lot of strength. And these deterring factors are not . . . going to vanish overnight or even in a generous batch of time. The diminishment of passion for this "hobby/obsession" is good because it will help me to better divest and divert.

Edited by jazzbo