For completists only....

Pim

6 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I've been avoiding my completist and collecting demons for a long time but need to confront them at some near future point as I enter the final phase of my life and its realities. When you are facing a parent and brother with the virus, home repairs and familial relationships strained by conspiracy theories and deliberate lies. . . the joie de vivre of jazz and other music pursuits begins to lose a lot of strength. And these deterring factors are not . . . going to vanish overnight or even in a generous batch of time. The diminishment of passion for this "hobby/obsession" is good because it will help me to better divest and divert.

If it's about a compulsion toward acquisition and completist tendencies then a hard look inside and hard decisions to desist can probably be good. But I hope Lon that the joie de vivre of listening is never lost. A new online friend was telling me that his Fall semester was very difficult and energy-draining but that he listens as much as possible and that "jazz always satisfies."

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The joy is diminishing . . . in part energy in general is being drained. . . partly an internal thing related to aging and partly a realization that the escapism that was part of the fuel is no longer an effective tool.

Stuff happens and contains consequences, and our reactions to the stuff and consequences morph and sometimes mature, and priorities often scream to be readjusted. I'm beginning to be fine with it. 

Edited by jazzbo

I have nearly all of Hank Mobley's recordings. My only holes are his earliest dates with the Paul Gayten & Dizzy Gillespie Orchestras, mainly because Jazz orchestras have never really been a favorite of mine, particularly with a vocalist like those Gayten dates.

Somewhat like Lon, as I've gotten older, my attitude towards completeness has changed. It looks like my attitude is trending the opposite of Lon's however. As I've gotten older, I've felt much less compelled to own every recording player X is on. In fact, I've come to the realization that I already have far too much music to truly appreciate all of it. I notice this especially when I am perusing my music library and see a title I really liked and then think that it's been years, sometimes even a decade, since I last played it. I literally have too much music.

8 minutes ago, bresna said:

IIn fact, I've come to the realization that I already have far too much music to truly appreciate all of it. I notice this especially when I am perusing my music library and see a title I really liked and then think that it's been years, sometimes even a decade, since I last played it. I literally have too much music.

That's been my realization of this past decade, but I still have a deep desire to explore music, I'm always wanting to find new material to spin. I might be better served by attrition--only acquiring new when jettisoning a like or greater quantity of old. . . but that is hard to do. Like you my urge for completion is dimished.

I've been real good in recent months about purchasing in general but the urge to find new material at the expense of any effort to re-engage with the archive is very real. And discovering that new material isn't helped by Hutch's 70s Blog thread or the What are you Listening To thread.

16 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I've been real good in recent months about purchasing in general but the urge to find new material at the expense of any effort to re-engage with the archive is very real. And discovering that new material isn't helped by Hutch's 70s Blog thread or the What are you Listening To thread.

My biggest problem recently has been these new Tone Poet and 80th Anniversary LPs that Blue Note has been putting out. Many of them sound great but they are vinyl and I'm quickly remembering why I hated the stuff back in their heyday. It's like buying a lottery ticket where the jackpot is you get one without underfill, offset centerholes, warpage, double labels or scratches.

My latest saving grace is that Universal Music's web store has the worst customer service I've ever encountered. I ordered 8 LPs from them and they dropped the ball so many times that I finally cancelled the entire thing. I doubt I'm going to buy them at all now. I just went to put away my last LP purchases and they won't fit into my LP rack.

10 minutes ago, bresna said:

I just went to put away my last LP purchases and they won't fit into my LP rack.

Howzat? Sleeve too high? Or just a rack that's crammed full? I can sympathize with the latter but I have yet to see an oversize LP that is THAT big (unless it's a box set with a way oversize box) ... ^_^

Anyway ... comforting to see that I am far from the only one who is taking it easier now about what used to be "must haves" (or "must search for by all means").

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Container Store. You don't get milk crates for storing records, you go shopping for household organizational tools.

You either need more shelving (are you going to be buying THAT many more records?) or else you need a way to keep the overflow neat, tidy, organized, and easily moved to another room when needed.

You can also study physics while you're at it!

LOGO_TAG_webready.jpg

3 hours ago, bresna said:

In fact, I've come to the realization that I already have far too much music to truly appreciate all of it. I notice this especially when I am perusing my music library and see a title I really liked and then think that it's been years, sometimes even a decade, since I last played it. I literally have too much music.

So true, and probably applies to many of us, myself included.

On 10/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, Dan Gould said:

I consider my Gene Harris collection to be exhaustive, because I don't consider his mid-70s BN output to exist.

Since I have a couple of rare 45s, I can say I have all of Sam Lazar's output, and Baby Face Willette, including his pre-BN 45s.

I have all of Percy France's official recorded output including unissued studio dates, but there are several dozen recordings held by the Smithsonian and my acquisition of those has been interrupted by the pandemic.

the vee jay one on 45?  "wake up get out" on rec in hollywood only 78, no? are there others (willette singles)- thx

4 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

the vee jay one on 45?  "wake up get out" on rec in hollywood only 78, no? are there others (willette singles)- thx

I purchased the Vee Jay 45; the Hollywood single I got from a kind soul on the board, unfortunately at least a couple of generations removed on cassette. I do not know of other 45s that weren't sourced from the LPs on BN and Argo.

• 3 weeks later...

well. the stamp collector in me is not very strong. I had lots of Big John Patton bootlegs ..listen to a few live shows...mostly prefer the official recordings

Like hearing rare Grant Green, Blakey, Mobley, Byrd, Morgan etc

but still in love with Sidewinder, Night In Tunisia....Roll Call....Ethiopian Knights etc but lack the time to enjoy even them let alone the rare unreleased Blakey Blue Notes or Patton late sides with George Braith or the Byrd big band radio set or Dutch Mobley sets....

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:18 PM, randyhersom said:

I own the complete albums of Walt Dickerson, missing only a promo 45.  

It's download only, but the Sun Ra release on bandcamp, Haverford College 1980, Solo Piano, includes a well recorded Walt Dickerson concert as well.

While I and am curious to "hear" everything by those artists I appreciate most, I am not necessarily interested in owning everything, not simply out of concern for space or cost, but because of redundancy (ex: Duke Ellington's 25 volumes of DETS broadcasts contain a lot of similar material) and some  lesser interesting items (even with Ellington). The risk, of course, is missing out on some hidden "gems" if you can't find a way to listen online or otherwise without pulling the trigger and purchasing. I assume this is what drives "completists" - finding those hidden gems (and leaving no stone unturned).

Edited by hopkins

36 minutes ago, DMP said:

Among others, I have just about everything issued by/with Grant Green.  (Missing that Dodo Greene album -  what’s that like? - and a couple tracks from “Final Comedown.)

I like it for the group backing her - especially Ike Quebec at the end of his life. But I don't know that Dodo's voice is everybody's cuppa. 

There are vids with the music, links here:

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNEuLL8swTTNg9JJOyU_JV0gvSk3NS1XIrVTIyC8tUshPU8hLTU0BAC8KDlk&q=dodo+greene+my+hour+of+need&oq=dodo+greene&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j46l2j0i22i30l3.4879j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8