Miles Davis - “Whatever” (Sorta Blue)

Rooster_Ties

9 hours ago, mjzee said:

I've never been able to follow "Blue in Green;" it's always sounded pretty formless to me.  I guess there's a tune lurking in there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it.

go find some kid with a Real Book on their tablet, they can pull it up for you and show you the form. It's real, and it's repetitive. What it's not is a "song" form of cyclical redundancy of 4-bar units, it's a 10-bar form, with the cadence/resolution points being A7-Dm, V-i, in bars 2-3, 6-7, and 9-10 - where it's Am instated of A7, which is a neat trick, but still Dm is always the "landing point", and it's certainly "unusual" for a landing point to come in the 3rd, 7th, and 10th bar of a form, just as unusual to have a 10 bar from to begin with. At least it's normal in having the last bar of the form land on the home key. But we're accustomed to "home" coming on the even numbered bars in our songs.

You can get deeper into the notion of the structure by looking at how it's designed to create a perhaps deceptive feel of creating a cyclical form that never really begins nor ends, but that's a result of end perception, not of initial construction. But it is a pretty nifty "slight of ear" in that regard. But like all "magic", it's just a construct.

Hell, here it is:

cover-large_file.png

Where it gets "weird" on KOB is that they decided to play with the durations of the bars, compressing and expanding their durations. Good concept, wrong tune, in my opinion. But that chord sequence holds constant, and, thinkfully(?) everyby else plays it straight, and it's a LOT easier to follow when they do.